Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Unfair dress codes

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
Unfair dress codes

So I have stuck my head above the parapet at work.  They have introduced a dress code policy "effective immediately" that basically wipes me out though I am certainly not the only one affected.

So yesterday I wrote a massive email ripping it apart, asking for clarifications which pointed out the ridiculousness of some parts, telling them they can't implement an immediate change that has financial consequences (change hair colour, possibly replace clothing etc), and generally just saying I will not take this lying down when I have had most of the things now banned since I started over 2 years ago - so they can't even push me out within the 2 year time period.

Speaking to others since it came in it is entirely unpopular and full of holes. I forwarded my email to my friends and they loved it. A woman from a different department caught up with me in the toilet as she got told to change her hair colour (hired with purple!) so she got a copy of the email too.  

In my team morning catch up my non-immediate supervisor was trying to say "it is what it is" and "conformist society." When I (and another team member shot her down she even said "we'll,  you choose to work here." And I told her that I chose to work there because it was fairly relaxed and I felt able to do my job without anyone judging me on my appearance rather than my actual ability and yes, I chose to work there and I can choose to leave and take all my knowledge of the systems with me (I am the only one who actually knows a great deal of day to day stuff on the systems across the various platforms we have and have been moving around the teams for exactly that reason) but at the moment I am going to fight this policy.

There was no consultation, grace period - technically I could have walked in on Wednesday and been sent home because it got sent out on Tuesday afternoon even though I wasn't in on Tuesday.

So I feel like I've started a mutiny at work!  I've never really stood up for anything as I usually join a company with policies already in place.  The management team are going to sit down next week and fully review my concerns before coming back to me.  Which, to me, reeks of them not knowing their own policy and it being a rushed piece of nonsense (I got a courtesy nudge last week from my immediate supervisor about it coming in and it was released on Tuesday!) 

Has anyone else successfully fought a policy change at work?  What happened? 

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

To update, since there quite a few reads even if no replies:

I joined a union, spoke to the rep and I will be having an informal meeting with HR and my boss this week. It is an amendment to my contract and they can't just force through a policy change. I have jargon to use and will be spending today highlighting ACAS policies and figuring out siggestions for compromise.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I would always recommend joining a union (come from a long line of union convenors) as extremely capable as you are its always good to have someone official in your corner

so what if i love each feather an each spangle, why not try an see things from a different angle?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I definitely like that I now have some official backup should this go beyond an informal meeting.

Date:

Will you have time to speak with your union rep before the meeting? Have you shown them the full document? I can understand hygiene policy but I think all roles, including client-facing roles, have come a long way in terms of what the social understanding is of 'professional'. If Marks & Sparks, the bastion of cosy middle class, are willing to hire people with dyed hair and piercings, because they understand that you can look a certain way and still provide excellent customer service, then companies who don't follow suit are very out of touch with the requirements and expectations of their customer and client base.

I'm sure you don't need this added stress but it sounds like you have been super-professional and helped other people in the same boat find their voice.

Amazing you. I hope the meetings go well!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I spoke to my union rep on Tuesday and went into the meeting today well-armed.

And I won!

They agreed that communication around the release of policy should have been better, there will be broader definitions as they both agreed my overall look was fine. I agreed to tone my hair down slightly (it's veeeery pink just now) but other than that it was really productive and the policy will be reviewed.

I agreed to an ongoing discussion and review to try and help reach a more acceptable middle ground. I surprised myself how well I actually articulated my concerns and offered suggestions which they wrote down to take back to the rest of management!

I feel really good about standing up for this and actually affecting change!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Well done! Standing up for yourself is always worth it

so what if i love each feather an each spangle, why not try an see things from a different angle?

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us