Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: D&D / tabletop froth

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:
D&D / tabletop froth

I think there are a few of us who love D&D and tabletopping on here so it might be nice to have a froth and share characters, campaigns, joys and woes... revent events and old ones of legend... and shame D20s of course.

Are you playing any characters at the moment? Any ridiculous moments to share? What system are you playing? Have you ever run a campaign? Do you prefer regular meets or one-off binges? Seriously though, how much do you love D&D?

A few characters I'm playing at the moment:

A recently deceased art student and soul-eater called Daisy Dead who really wishes people would start calling her Eternia
A truck stop owner who uses home-making as a coping mechanism for the zombie outbreak. The perimenter needs sealing? What she can't do with tupperware isn't worth doing.
A gnome who is travelling the world because he entered a competition to cross a field and wasn't sure when to stop. I love this gnome more than anything. I could gnome all my life.
Jason Bouchee, a SWAT team leader who is full of protein shakes and a puppy's desire to please. If I'm not being a gnome forever, I would happily play Jason Bouchee for the rest of the time.

Confession: I never run an adventure. The idea of being a GM is terrifying to me!

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I have wanted to try D&D or something but we have noone nearby to play with. I shall live vicariously through this thread.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I love DM'ing! Although I usually do what my players have named, "anarcho D&D", where-in challenge outcomes and so on are much more narratively influenced than dice influenced. I've done a couple one-shots where the players are paranormal investigators, and one longer campaign about a small town in Georgia threatened by an angry nature spirit that... ended with the players deciding to burn down the town to apease the spirit instead of fighting it. I really enjoy building an environment with various secrets and NPCs to discover and then seeing what the players do with it.

Probably my favorite character I've played, and the character I've been playing longest, is Tabitha Chainikov. She spent her formative years as a cleric in a subsection of the royal beaurocracy, got promoted to being a spy for the princess she had a huuuuge crush on and basically was coerced into becoming a paladin and taking a pact with the trickster god in order to be an effective spy. She's since broken up with both the princess and the god, and is working to do self-care and become a mountain druid, while investigating some sort of robot army for another head of state.

D&D via skype (text based rp) is totally possible. Things move slower, but in some ways that's good because it gives you more time to plot your actions and stuff.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Another one wanting to give it a go but with noone around accepting new players into their grour. I shall live vivariously through this thread and critical role on geek and sundry's YouTube channel.

He'll always be there singing songs in my head.

I believe in Sherlock Holmes.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

If there's interest we could try to set up an text-based campaign via skype/the group chat program of choice?
Also if y'all haven't heard of The Adventure Zone podcast, it's 100% excellent for vicarious participation

-- Edited by invisigoth on Monday 1st of August 2016 12:51:54 PM

Honoured Mook

Date:

AHHH D&D

I joined a group recently because I've missed playing. I rehashed an old favorite character and through her in.

Karak is a gnoll (read: ugly hyena person). my charisma score is so low that I wear a bag over my head during group negotiatoins because my presence just automatically disgusts everyone.

My strength score is bitchin' high though.

I also convinced the DM to let my character capture and maintain possums as "pets."

ALSO CAN I JUST SAY: if we get a mooky D&D group going i would most definitely be in. i love playing so much and don't have the frequency to play that i would like.

Personally, I like action-based games with a lot of "chop the heads off all these monsters" style of play, but that's mostly because everyone i've played with has the attention span of caffeinated golden retriever puppies and battles mean I actually get to do something during the game.

For D&D--does anyone have a preferred version? 3.5 has been my favorite but I've been hearing good things about 5.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I've only played D&D 5, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I like it :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

There are versions?! Mr Spikey has an old 80s boxset of like a beginners version. We haven't played it yet.

Date:

I've been hungry for tabletop and am really excited we're getting to play all day Saturday! It's a modern day zombie adventure set in Boston; my character will be a soccer mom with a licensed firearm whose kids have grown up and left home. Which got me to thinking about character flaws. Stats are often set up so you can't be great at everything, some areas you'll be weaker. And some systems require you to have a character trait that's a flaw.

As a player, do you enjoy having flaws? I hate picking them at first but after gameplay I like how they make the character feel more real. I like how being crap at some things builds group co-operation too. As a DM, what do you like to see in character flaws and are there ways you work them into the game?

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Date:

The 12 hour tabletop session yesterday was intensely liberating. Hot tip: when the alien zombies come, be a Soccer Mom.

Apocalypse soccer moms are generous, always have TP and Get Things Done. If you're stuck in a tight spot THEY WILL COME BACK FOR YOU.

Apocalypse soccer moms will turn your hellcamp into a home with soft play and early learning. You better believe they'll keep you hydrated!

Apocalypse soccer moms have eyes in the back of their head and put the pep into pep-talks. Get a soccer mom on your survival team stat!

Honoured Mook

Date:

Probably my favorite character is the most flawed and I think the flaw makes her the most fun to play.

Karak (my aforementioned Gnoll Ranger) has a remarkably low charisma score. This means that I take penalties on many checks that rangers with a normal or high charisma score are able to do without a problem. For example--handle animal is almost always the ranger's responsibility, but when I'm so scary that even tame animals shy away, it causes a lot of extra "problems" that lead to more fun scenarios.

A 12 hour table top session sounds absolutely insane and wonderful all at the same time! I'm very jealous Magda! I hope you had a blast--it certainly sounds like it, and it certainly sounds like I need more soccer mom's in my life.

SPIKEY! THE 80S VERSION IS FABULOUS AND HORRIFYING. Please do not judge the rest of the game based on that edition lmao. It is a good time though!

Does everyone have a favorite class/role when playing?

I'm almost always a ranger or a fighter (read: too lazy to flip through the books looking for spells) and lover is almost always a ranger/wizard.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

"I'm almost always a ranger or a fighter (read: too lazy to flip through the books looking for spells" Saaaame. Plus keeping track of spell slots and whatnot... However, I'm more confident in the regular rules for play and initiative now, so I think I could maybe handle it? I think it would be fun to find creative/unintended ways to use spells :P

Honoured Mook

Date:

Now that i'm playing regularly, I'm feeling more confident, too. I did branch out and play a druid once, but that was only because it seemed like they had less spells to worry about than a wizard or sorcerer.

I would love to play a cleric because some of the cleric spells sound like so much fun to use, as you said, in creative or unintended ways :) I'm still too nervous to even think about a wizard but maybe next campaign I will give it a shot.

Honoured Mook

Date:

AHHHHHH

I moved back home for health/work reasons, so I lost my D&D group! I decided to join another one on Wednesday nights but I'll be getting to each session late so they have someone else play my character while I"m not there.

What are your experiences having someone else play your character, Mooks? Any advice?

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us