Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Your first vacation without the family?

Honoured Mook

Date:
Your first vacation without the family?

Last year was my first time traveling alone and, more surprisingly, traveling without family.

I flew across the country to visit an online friend for her wedding. it was really surreal--we'd talked for a decade, but never met in person. The groom never met his best man in person, either, and the guy who introduced them flew to America from Sweden. So it was a very interesting trip!

What was your first time vacationing without your family like?

I'm taking my first vacation with just me and the significant other in May. A friend of ours is going to join us, but it's the first one I've actively planned that's just S/O and I. It's interesting because there were things I took for granted in the past that now I'm worried about.

An easy example is gas money--we used to take one car and my parents would cover gas, but now that I'm the one with the car I'm realizing there's a lot more to plan than I used to. But I'm excited--I'm hoping it will be more relaxing since I don't have to moderate what I say or do as much without them there.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

My first vacation without family was a schooltrip to Quebec & Montreal. That was really lovely - I love my family but we have different interests, and my parents are both really bad about dealing with travel stress. I think my first time taking a holiday actually alone was this winter when I went to London. It was nice being able to just wander around the city with no real schedule, but there were a lot of points where I wished there was someone else with me to share the experience.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

My first vacation without my family was going to Berlin with a friend when I was 17 or 18 if I remember correctly. It was my first time in a plane too, which was great fun. I don't think we did much planning at all, apart from getting passports, plane tickets and booking bunks in a hostel.

My family rarely had enough money to take us on holidays, and growing up holidays mostly meant working on the farm. On the positive side, they were really good at preparing us for taking care of ourselves so travelling without them was a walk in the park.

My first road trip was really impulsive, just getting into a friend's car and driving to Denmark to buy weed and get high :D

I generally think planning is overrated when it comes to travelling. Most things will work itself out, and the things that don't is a good learning experience/makes a good story later.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Honoured Mook

Date:

Invisigoth, did you find you enjoyed being alone or with people more overall?

I understand what you mean about wishing to have someone to share the experience with. When I went to Arizona for my friend's wedding, there was a huge cactus forest we drove through on a highway marked in the US's most scenic highways. My friend didn't give two shits and neither did the other guy in the car, so even though I had company, I really wished I had someone to share my awe with.

I think I enjoy traveling alone a bit more, though, as then I can set the schedule and retire when I'm tired without feeling guilty.

Irilar, that's really cool! I've never been to Berlin and getting to travel that young with a friend must have been such a ball. I must admit, i'm a bit of a planning freak, so seeing that you think it's overrated made me laugh because I'm the opposite. I love making an itinerary--of course, I love to make it myself. I don't like to be on someone else's itinerary, but I like to know where I'm going and what I'm doing.

That sounds like a great first roadtrip, though! I hope you enjoyed it!

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

My first holiday sans parents was actually with Spiggy from the forum! I was 19 and we met in Salzburg, Austria for a few days of brewery tours before getting the train to her mum's house in Slovenia. Basically we drank lots of beer and wandered about old streets in the sun (apart from one night when it started pissing it down and we both looked like Alice Cooper had gone for a swim). From what I remember it was pretty cheap - in Austria we stayed for two nights in an all-girl room in a hostel, made full use of student discounts wherever we could for museums and shops.

Come to think of it, I've only ever been on holiday with friends who are mooks? Although a couple of years ago I went to Jersey with my bff and her boyfriend to celebrate her 21st with her family. We stayed at her mum's house and she drove us around to see all the WII relics and the beaches which was absolutely lovely. Last September I did my first bit of truly on my own holidaying - I was presenting at a conference in Edinburgh and decided to stay the weekend to do some sightseeing, as I'd never been before. I got the train up and stayed in a hostel and got to go to all the pubs and museums I wanted without having to account for other people's interests, which was great! I'm planning a solo trip to Dublin in a couple of weeks which will involve brewery tours and literary history fun.

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

Honoured Mook

Date:

That's amazing Victoryxx! It sounds like a really great trip, and it's cool that you got to do that with a member from the forum! Was that the first time you met Spiggy? I'd love to visit Austria and Slovenia, but I am not sure I could stay in a hostel. We don't have anything really like that in America and, outside of Mookychick, I've only heard dangerous things about them. (I know that's not a good reason to be afraid of them, but it does make me nervous.)

I hope you have a wonderful time in Dublin! It sounds like it would be a great time! Literary history fun is my kind of fun so I'm very jealous :)

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

^^^A friend of mine from the US had similar reservations about hostels, but in the UK and Europe and even Australia and New Zealand they're super common and often quite good. I've usually paid anywhere between £10-£20 per night for a bunk in a shared room, the other guests are lovely and staff are helpful too!

No, Spiggy and I had met several times before then. Back when I lived in London she used to stay at mine to holiday in England!

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I liked travelling best when it's with my bff because we can share things and we know each other so well, and are both similarly neuroatypical so I don't even have to worry at all about needing to take time to decompress or retire early to chill out or whatever.

I would be a little reticent to stay in a hostel in a place where I didn't speak the language, but I think it would be safer than trying airbnb.

Honoured Mook

Date:

@Victoryxx That's amazing! The prices definitely make it worth considering. @_@ I think a lot of my stress about it comes from the idea of sharing a room with strangers; even when I stay with friends, I'm often nervous about disturbing people. I have a few GI problems so I often need to use the restroom frequently, and as a person who hates to be woken up, the idea of accidentally waking up another person everytime I have to go to the bathroom makes me nervous

@Invisigoth your post actually made me smile a little bit. Here i am terrified of a hostel but don't blink twice about using airbnb. I am definitely nervous about going anyplace I don't speak the languages. my accent is very thick and very american--i have such a hard time pronouncing anything outside of English and I try very hard. I really want to travel to Poland to visit the areas my family immigrated from but I don't want to go until I know I can speak enough and understand enough to get around.

I did have two friends that couch surfed with strangers up the eastern side of the United states. By far, that is the most terrifying thing I've ever heard of anyone doing lmao. I just don't have the guts for it.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Lokrais, maybe find a hostel that has individual rooms but a shared bathroom (if you can handle the possibility of people being there when you have bowel issues)? That way you won't wake anyone up, but the rooms are often very cheap. Jack and I stayed in this kind of hostel when we visited Stockholm earlier this year, and paid a tiny fraction of what it would have cost to stay in a hotel with our own bathroom, or even an AirBNB, and the shared bathroom was single sex and spotlessly clean. It wasn't as nice as having your own bathroom (it can feel very weird doing your night time routine or coming out of a shower around strangers), but we would definitely do it again to keep costs down.

My first holiday without parents or schools or anything like that was with Jack, when we went to Rome on our first holiday together. I had been to Rome before twice with my parents, but Jack hadn't ever been, so it was lovely to go back to one of my favourite cities and see it through completely new eyes. I think that is the nicest bit about holidaying without parents- everybody sees something different in a new place, but when you holiday with your parents you often have to see things from their perspective. Going alone or with a friend means you make very different memories to the ones you would have done otherwise, and some of my most treasured anecdotes, amazing meals and wonderful sightseeing experiences simply never would have happened if I had gone to those places without Jack.

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Honoured Mook

Date:

@Sassafras, Oooh! I didn't realize that was an option. I've been assuming all hostels were shared rooms. That's certainly less stressful!

I also just googled the prices for a hostel and holy shit 0______0 $9USD a night in Poznan. I make $7USD an hour, and I'm used to thinking $33USD is an absolute steal for a hotel room. So my mind is absolutely blown right now. I wish there were more places like this in the USA because I would certainly travel more frequently. oh my gosh, going to Poland before I'm 30 might actually be possible now.

I never considered that my parents presence would have me looking at the place from their perspective, but now that you've mentioned it I'm really considering all the places that are on the island. For example--there's a very old movie theater on the island that we haven't ever visited simply because my parents don't enjoy going out to see movies.....but my significant other and I love movies and old theaters, but I'd never considered this as part of my trip before. So now I'm very excited--thank you for sharing, I appreciate your insight!

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us