Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Sex-positive parent blog?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
Sex-positive parent blog?

I have been contemplating a foray into blogging, not to make money or anything like that, and figured that the thing I know most about is me and my life.  It occurred to me after my post about Beansprout knowing her vulva and generally being a sex-positive parent that it might be interesting to write about that and the ups n downs of teaching a toddler about her body and relationships etc.  

Any recommendations for an easy-to-use blog site?  I don't need it to have bells and whistles.

Suggestions for blog names would also be good.  

International Mook of Mystery (mod)

Date:

I used Blogger when I had my short-lived blog, and it served me just fine. The ability to edit its look didn't take much getting used to, and you can't really beat getting a service for free.

I entertained thoughts about Tumblr at the time, and it does seem to generally fit the bill for a lot of bloggers' needs. But there's a lot about it that would personally make me nervous about posting about a topic like parenting (or subject concerning it) on. People have strong opinions on it to begin with, and Tumblr seems to attract the worst of the more extreme, reactionary types. Sometimes its community seems extremely toxic, but that may just be me. I'm sure someone who actually has a blog through it can speak much more wisely on the subject.

-- Edited by Izil on Thursday 5th of March 2015 10:10:34 PM

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so effin' heroic."--George Carlin

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I have heard that about Tumblr. I also tried to navigate it and was totally confused!

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Blogger is pretty 'intuitive' if you are a first time blogger, and you can move photos about and write nicely arranged text posts with relative ease. A lot of people would recommend wordpress if you're going to be more hardcore about having a beautifully designed blog, but I'm not a wordpress genius so I can't really recommend it.

I WOULD LOVE TO READ THIS KIND OF BLOG THOUGH.

I knew what my clitoris was when I was a really tiny tiny child (although I thought it was called my "glitterus"...) because my parents were really frank with me about what everything was for and what it was called. I often think about how I'll explain things to my child. Please make this blog a real thing!

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

I third Blogger as being really easy to use if you are new to the blog world! It's pretty easy to customise (as you learn more/get more profesh you can style it up in more complex ways), add/edit posts, and keep track of comments and views.

Also I definitely think you should go ahead with this idea, even though I don't plan on having any sprogs I love reading about feminist and sex-positive parenting and you would be so fab at discussing it.

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Fab. Will take a look over the weekend. Thaaaanks. I need a name....thinking caps on cos I suck at witty, clever names.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've got lots of friends that like wordpress. I've used logger myself and found it ok.
Also, that's a great idea! Go you.

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Not really got any input re: sites or name, but this sounds like an awesome idea. :D

He'll always be there singing songs in my head.

I believe in Sherlock Holmes.

Date:

For a name, maybe something that plays on "+" instead of spelling out positive?

"A Sex+ Mum"

"Parenting Sex+"

Something like that.

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so effin' heroic."--George Carlin

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I personally don't like blogger much, there are way too many options of customizing it and I don't have the self discipline to stop myself from faffing about with customization instead of actually writing blogposts. I found it way too easy to let the design of the blog take precedence over content, So not for me. But if you want to have a blog to express yourself aesthetically I think it is a good choice.

Wordpress suits my needs. Clean and simple, it lets the things I write take centre stage. And all the extra stuff costs money so I'm not tempted.

I share Izils concerns about tumblr. Wonderful and important as the topic is, it can also be sensitive -and tumblr can be quite the freakshow.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Ha! So I went onto blogger to discover it was what I used to have my modelling blog on! That was a very short-lived foray cos I was rubbish at keeping it up to date.

So while I come up with a name I am making myself some notes on different topics I want to write about. Obviously the big one is what sex+ parenting (that is such a handy abbreviation, Izil - oh, it is fab to see you back by the way!) means for me. Consent and play - allowing her to say no and for tickling or whatever to stop, not forcing cuddles and kisses at bedtime/saying goodbye. That sort of thing. Body parts and privacy. I think that will keep me going on top of regular day stuff.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Ampersand wrote:

(although I thought it was called my "glitterus"...)

^ This is awesome.

Also, my toy blog is self hosted because free hosts have issues with sexual content (especially if it looks like you *could* make money from it, like in my case) but I don't *think* you'll have a problem there. You might want to check though, I know lots of sex bloggers have had their blogs taken down when they're not breaking any obvious "rules"...

I use Wordpress as my blogging platform and have no issues with it so far.

Eccentric Blue Haired Ecdysiast & Self Professed Dildo Nerd

Answers to Daisy or Little Spoon :) x

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Ah, I did see some mention of blogger wanting to "clean up" their content. I will have a glance over their terms and things.

EDIT: they have reviewed their new policies and keeping the old ones.  So adult content blogs must have the over-18 warning switched on, no commercial pron.

-- Edited by Spikeyfaerie on Monday 9th of March 2015 11:32:56 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I don't know anything about blogging but I wanted you to know that your plan is brilliant. You're like a secret superhero mum and you have the secret power to make the world a better place, one family at a time. Go Spikey!

''Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.'' George Carlin

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

What about these names:

Real colour mummy
Multicolour mummy

I was thinking that I prefer buying Beansprout things in real life colours cos that's what colour things actually are as opposed to pink versions of everything. So it kinda encapsulates the non-gender-specific side of things which can branch out into all the other stuff.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Date:

^I like that idea. For some reason the "real" one made me think of still life painting. Not sure if there's anything to that to play off of in this case though.

Maybe Colourful Mummy? I feel like it would roll off the tongue easier, and still get the point across.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I like colourful. I've been bouncing ideas around on paper today (when my brain has actually been switched on!) so it's really helpful to see what reactions to the names are.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

As awesome a suggestion as it was, colourfulmummy already exists on wordpress. Going with wordpress cos I can't have two seperate profiles on blogger cos Google is omnipotent and somehow linked my hotmail account to the gmail account I opened when I got my smartphone...I feel "watched"!

Oops!  Edit: So I'm going to be Realcolourmummy. 

-- Edited by Spikeyfaerie on Tuesday 31st of March 2015 10:14:30 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Yay for Realcolourmummy! I'm sure your blog will be awesome! :)

''Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.'' George Carlin

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've done two posts so far, they are kinda dry cos I'm still sort of "setting the scene" so to speak. I intend for them to be a little more like summaries of our day as I go along. I think I'm still finding my "voice" as well.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Eeee another parenting blog started following me and commented on my most recent post! I realise that I am overly excited about this but it is still novelty

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us