Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: The Bitchin' Cake Thread.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
The Bitchin' Cake Thread.

I know that many mooks here are excellent bakers (and cake-lovers), and so I felt that it was about time that the humble cake got it's own special thread to honor it. Here we can post our favourite recipes and pictures of our cakey triumphs and disasters (hey after all, so long as it tastes good what does it matter what it looks like?). 

To start things off here is my favourite cake recipe:

Carrot Cake with Lemon Butter Icing

Spoiler

Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor, rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

That sounds delicious and pretty simple too! I'll definitely make it soon. You're a star :D I have a few go-to cake recipes that I've been using for years, occasionally I'll try something new but there's a reason they're favourites, you know? I will be back to share at some point! Xx

Harlan :-)

("they" pronouns please, mookyfolk)

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

belter idea for a thread! i will be back with pics

so what if i love each feather an each spangle, why not try an see things from a different angle?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Hell to the YEAH. Great idea for a thread, Moth!

It just so happens I made a bitchin' cake last night. Here is a picture of it, and here is a picture of me with it. I always take pictures of bitchin' things I make, cakes included. 

The recipe is underneath the spoiler. It's gluten-free, which may be of interest to any coeliac/gluten intolerant/wheat-free diet mooks. Though I would recommend that EVERYBODY makes it at some stage.

Spoiler

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I just remembered, I dreamed about that cake last night. I'm not joking.

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I can't believe how simple your cake was, Indigo! It looked so incredibly fancy and delicious. This thread is going to lead to me making a cake a day...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

MissChris wrote:

^ I just remembered, I dreamed about that cake last night. I'm not joking.

Oh really? :D I dream about it too on a regular basis, no lie. It's a whopper cake, and so simple. Peyton, you should give it a shot. It's really simple to make and it's so yummy. ^_^

Earlier on I remembered I have a recipe for chocolate salami - which is basically a big roll of chocolate and amaretto biccies, dusted with icing sugar in such a way that it resembles a salami. Good Christ it was delicious and so easy to make. Think I'll have to make it again and share the recipe/results in here... 

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Lush Guru

Date:

I'm pretty proud of the cake I made for my brother's 30th birthday.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^That is so great, I love it.
Also this thread idea is awesome! I hope to contribute at some point!

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Alka wrote:

That's a damn awesome cake. What flavour was the spongy bit? And I could be miles off with this, but is the spread on the toast supposed to be Marmite? :D

Lush Guru

Date:

Yeah it was just kind of meant to be some kind of spread, it was a dark chocolate ganache so it was pretty dark. It was a plain madeira cake, because they're quite dense. There was also (homemade!) lemon curd as butter.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^That is so great, I love it.
Also this thread idea is awesome! I hope to contribute at some point!

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Alka wrote:

That is indeed a bitchin' cake. Although now I want either cake or bacon and I'm not entirely sure which one.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^Both together sounds nice, but maybe that's just me.

Alka, that cake is so badass! I'm blown away! You talented soul. I want one :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^cake-on? cacon? :p

Alka, do you have any more epic cake pictures handy?

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Okay, I have decided tomorrow I am going to make a cake worthy of being posted here. Now just to decide which one. Chocolate? Coffee? Some kinda fruit? A fancyass sponge? Hmmm.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

TOASTCAKE! It looks amazing :D

I went vegan last year, so most of the amazing cakes I've made and eaten have been non-vegan, and the best cake I've ever made was probably among the least vegan-friendly things on the planet. It was for Mike's birthday a couple of years ago, and based on this recipe; essentially, it was a red velvet cake with a full-size cheesecake layer in the middle instead of buttercream. I made an almond-flavoured cheesecake, froze it (wrapped in clingfilm), then made two layers of red velvet cake and sandwiched the cheesecake layer in between. IT WAS AMAZING. I'd never made anything like that before and am unlikely to ever again; it was ENORMOUS and I think every slice probably contained a full day's calories. It wasn't that pretty (I am not an icing genius and I was loath to add even more butter to the mixture) but here are some pictures, plus one of Mike in his dressing gown looking a bit chuffed about the whole thing: [1] [2] [3]

Also not vegan, but I think this might be my favourite cake recipe ever: the BBC's Squidgy Spiced Apple Cake. I used to make it with applesauce instead of chopped apples for speed and texture, and I think it makes even more squidgy and amazing than it is already. Also, you NEED to make the honey-cinnamon glaze because it transforms the whole thing from wonderful to completely fucking excellent.

-- Edited by _cinnamonstars on Sunday 23rd of March 2014 08:53:50 PM

Honoured Mook

Date:

Omg these are all amazing! You guys are very talented cakers. We should have a Great Mookish Bake Off. Sans Mary Berry. 

I made these today (as well as cookies that were actually brownies) and am so pleased with their cute little spring-themed faces I wanted to share ^_^

Sophie

The world is quiet here ...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Ah, cakes! Damn, I forgot to take a picture of the huge brownie I made yesterday. Because it's already gone.

But here's the second-latest cake, the Valentine edition Rocky Road Brownie (with added Biter because I took the photo from my facebook page).

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Do you mooks have any recipes for dairy free cakes? I'm trying to go dairy free but I cannot live my life cake free...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I use rice/soy milk, margarine and dairy-free cream, and you can't really tell my cakes are dairy-free. :)

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Ooh okay then, will give that a go.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us