Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: bbc remaking 'the clangers'
how do you feel about childhood classics being remade for the modern age? [8 vote(s)]

i like it, some things are better reworked.
0.0%
i don't mind if it's done well.
37.5%
stop pissing all over my childhood memories.
62.5%

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
bbc remaking 'the clangers'

i guess we're all products of our time, and we all regard our own childhood viewing as something a little sacred...

i've always had a soft spot for the smallfilms stable (ivor the engine, bagpuss, and noggin the nog) there was something magical in oliver postgates voice that could calm even the most savage child, and peter firmins models and art direction were captivating.

there is some hope that it will not be as bad as it could be, peter firmin and daniel postgate (olivers son) are executive producers, and have said that:

"We hope to engage and entertain children of all ages and their families, just as Oliver and I did all those years ago. The new series will include great storytelling with lots of heart. It will also be technically improved. When you watch the original Clangers you have to make allowances for the limitations of the animation techniques when it was made. It was magical for its time, but this is a new Clangers for a new age."

perhaps i'm just a nostalgic old bat, but i kinda wonder if we need clangers for a new age ... why not make something new, equally magical and wonderful, that can give a whole new generation of kids the warm fuzzy feeling i get when watching these old stop motion episodes?

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/shortcuts/2013/oct/15/bbc-revive-clangers-what-planet-they-on

'there's always light at the end of the tunnel, just sometimes it's a train'

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

FUCKING NO. I'm so upset about this :(

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I am imagining 3D computer animated clangers. No! I think it would be possible to recreate some of the magic and revive a classic childrens show if they stuck to very similar story telling and kept it stop motion and had camera effects to make it look dated. Thats the whole charm of it. I have a feeling whatever they do won't capture whatever it is that makes the clangers special but they might make something half decent if they are careful.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I immediately thought of the Pinky and Perky remake that was done, which was fucking awful. I agree with everyone! I think they could recreate some of the magic but it wouldn't be nearly as good, and I don't think we really need a remake for the modern day.

I just hope they never touch Noggin the Nog, because I loved that so much as a child and I really don't want to imagine it done any other way. :(

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Hopefully it will be good like "The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo" is to the original series instead of like "What's New Scooby-Doo?" Now that's blasphemy. 

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

If it works well, I think it will work really well. But I think for it to work well will be incredibly difficult. I think I'd want to watch it out of curiosity. My mum and Aunty are utterly fuming!

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Honoured Mook

Date:

No. Purely on the basis that it's not being done for magical recreation purposes, it's being done for cold, hard cash-related purposes. Why spend the money coming up with new future-classics, when you can carry on milking the old ones for all their worth? It makes me mad. Some things are best left as they are - as beloved memories -  instead of reviving and recycling the same ideas til everyone is sodding sick of it. 

Sophie

The world is quiet here ...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

So I totally misread this as "brb remaking the clangers". A lady carfax remake would be infinitely more interesting!

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I really want to own the soup dragon. I loved her, she was great. I felt so comforted watching that show, I know they'll destroy it like they did with Andy Pandy!

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

"Little Red" Ruby wrote:

So I totally misread this as "brb remaking the clangers". A lady carfax remake would be infinitely more interesting!

So did I, bahaha. And yes, it would be! 

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

season 1 episode 1; the clangers have a visitor.

the clangers are visited by cameron and osborne, instantly they realise that unlike their other visitors the frogletts and the iron chicken, they are dealing with alien life that is not compatible with the universe they inhabit.

the frogletts kick off big style, wearing masks balaclavas and toting molotovs they attack the landing party chanting 'foreigners, go home'... the usually palcid frogletts have been brought to violence by camerons insistence that they are enrolled in a work programme to obtain access to blue string soup.

meanwhile, the soup dragon starts making chemical weapons in her cauldron, specifically tailored to be attracted to the bullingdon gene... major and tiny clanger deploy the musical boat to deliver the toxins, cleansing their asteroid of the unwelcome visitors while leaving native life intact and flourishing.

the iron chicken delivers the news to earth, where the people rejoice and everyone has a nice cup of tea to celebrate.

'there's always light at the end of the tunnel, just sometimes it's a train'

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

That is the best of things.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I wasn't even around when the Clangers originally aired and I'm still not happy about this. My mum had a whole bunch of classics on tape - Watch With Mother, The Clangers, Button Moon, Bagpuss. None of those shows would fare well as remakes, the tone and style and pacing, the substance would all be lost. At best it'll be cosmetic - cartoon animals that vaguely resemble someone's half-remembered image of the originals, with none of the personality.

My Crafting Blog 

My Writing Blog 

My feminism and stuff Tumblr 

My body-pos and selfies Tumblr

mazonas.png

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Exactly the same! Well, Nick Jr played The Clangers, Button Moon, Mr Benn and so forth, but Mum got us videos of Andy Pandy and Tales From the Riverbank and I loved them :)

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us