Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Unemployment for Mooks

Seasoned Mookster

Date:
Unemployment for Mooks

Hello fellow mooks,

I wanted to have a post about unemployment. I have been unemployed for 2 months now, and it is the first time in my life I have been unemployed EVER. It sucks, and people assume you are a bum on benefits. I was let go on a Tuesday and by Thursday 4 people had made comments like 'how does it feel to be a fucking bum', and 'you're scrounging on the governments money now'. It really upset me, because I have  worked hard my whole life. I studied at college then university and had a full time job since I graduated which was 3 years ago. I worked and paid off my student overdraft which I am now proud of as I am debt free.

I want to study part time to qualify as a teacher. I also a dance class for 2 hours per week. Every day job hunting is relentless for me, I have been giving my best efforts.

Agencies are out for themselves, and more often than not remind me of the 2 characters in Neil Gaiman's neverwhere that go around in top hats and suits, one fat one slim, killing people for their pure own pleasure. It is probably an exaggeration, but they make you spend ages registering then call you about no jobs. Thier websites advertise less jobs than the shop windows which is absurd. So I have found myself looking in agency windows, taking photo's of the adverts then going home and applying for the jobs online. I am covering all bases by applying to agencies but I am getting nowhere.

I hand CV's into shops when adverts arise and there are xmas temp jobs around at the moment. Fingers crossed.Ho ho ho.

The whole thing gets me down because I am working so hard to get work to fund study and not a peep. I have friends I see weekly but I am out of the loop of society and to be honest feel a bit useless because at this time I am unable to contribute to keep the cogs of the world turning.

Has anybody been in this situation, or is in this situation? It would be nice to have somebody to relate to. I am an outgoing person trying to better myself but it is a struggle and I am having a really tough day.

To have more will than fear is to be a super hero.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

most of the folks on here will know that i have been unemployed for almost 3 years now (dont worry you might not have to wait so long!) and yes it is totaly shit

most peoples veiws of the unemployed is that we want to be this way, not true, yer there are some that would prefer to stay unemployed but these are few an far between, but i do get those looks when i say im on benefits, as if im going into 'good working peoples' purses an stealing there money!

it is hard out there right now an so long as your trying your best there is not much more you can do, but in the mean time to keep your spirits up why not take one of the free courses run by the adult learning services? or potential for skills? they do loads of things from cookery classes to learning another language, all stuff that can be put on your c.v and it gets you out of the house an meeting new people

an if its ever getting too muchhit me with a pm :)

so what if i love each feather an each spangle, why not try an see things from a different angle?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I am unemployed and I draw the dole. Ireland is in absolute shit economy-wise and lots of people are on some sort of benefit, and those awful attitudes towards people on benefits you've spoken about in your post exist here too. I've just finished studying a biomedical science degree, and after four years of full time study I think I deserve a bit of a break before heading out into the big bad world to look for a job. Yet there are still people who would be more than happy to give me stick about not finding a job straight after finishing my studies. Fuck em, it's my life, and this is your life. you choose what you wish to do with it. 2 months without a job is a hardly a long time either!

The way I see it is if you've worked at all in your life, even only for a couple of months, you've paid tax and in this way you've "contributed to society." You will most likely be working for the rest of your life once you get back on the wagon as well - this is just a stop-gap, and they can last several weeks, months or years. You don't have to be working a job to keep the cogs of the world turning. There are lots of other things you can do to do that. I think there is far too value put on having employment in our society. If you have a job you're seen as a good person and a valuable member of society, and this in turn leads people to believe that being unemployed means you're a waster and that you've nothing to contribute. Not true. You're still you and you've lots to offer - it just so happens you're not working the 9-5 right now. Sue's suggestions to build up skills is great because it will keep you busy and give you some purpose, and you can stick it all on your CV.

Best of luck :)

-- Edited by Indigo Empress on Wednesday 11th of September 2013 10:31:10 AM

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

-- Edited by Piglet on Tuesday 4th of November 2014 11:45:51 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Hi, I know your pain. I was unemployed for almost a year just at the start of the recession so I know how soul-destroying it can be!

Agencies are shit, they advertise the same jobs over and over cos they want to get people on their books but they have no jobs to send them to. Good idea about applying straight to the company though a lot of agencies won't actually say which company it is until you're signed up to them (and even then!).

As for the people who say you are scrounging, would they rather you starve? It's not the government's money, it comes from taxpayers - people like you who have been working! You are fully intending to go back to work so making use of the benefits you are entitled to while you find something else is fine.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I haven't had a steady job since leaving high school although I've had some temp. jobs. In the beginning people were on my case so horribly that it did cause me to become depressed but I got rid of those negative people and I'm now surrounded by very supportive people. Unfortunately you do get harsh judgement from what seems like everyone.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

Regular Crew

Date:

Hear hear. I'll be unemployed again come the end of this week as that's when my internship finishes. I was hoping that I'd get a permanent position at the end of it but it doesn't look I will be. I was lucky that I got paid at least, but as the vast majority of them don't pay it's going to be pretty tough going from a paid internship to an unpaid one, if that's what if I end up having to do. Of course ideally I'd prefer a actual steady job that pays more than minimum wage, but the only jobs in my area that are listed on jobsites are for teachers, carers or cold-callers (i.e. jobs that I just do not have the people skills for.) There doesn't even seem to be any office work or anything. I can't get shop or waitressing work as I don't have enough experience in those areas. So I've had no choice but to look for internships in London, even if I have to spend all my money on getting there.

The funny thing is, I'd actually applied to go on jobseekers the same week I got the internship, and had an appointment with them booked that I ended up having to cancel. Not looking forward to having to go through the whole application again :/

Just ignore anyone who accuses you of 'scrounging'. I'm sure they'd eat their words if they ever get fired or made redundant from their work and end up in the same position. It could happen to anyone, it's got nothing to do with laziness or unintelligence.

Tumblr

Regular Crew

Date:

screw people man, i've been on social security for ten years, and no one will hire me now, because all my work experience was gained from doing massive, unpaid overtime in shelters. i personally don't mind living on super low wages as long as i get to eat alright and chill, but lol at all these upper middle-class clowns acting like we have it easier than them.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Lucas Prassas wrote:

screw people man, i've been on social security for ten years

*fistbump* i did a decade in the 90's, it was awesome fun.

mind you,  the dwp couldn't give a rats ass back then whether you got a job or not and  people who were renting property were getting full housing benefit( it was a lot easier to access social housing back then as well, that gave you a financial advantage)

no-one i knew saw being unemployed as a disadvantage, you had time to grow and develop as a person, finding out what you enjoyed and once you found something you liked doing, it was fairly easy to access a government training course and get yourself some basic qualifications, better enabling you to find a job if you decided to look for one. i know a lot of people who turned their hobbies into jobs (dj's who became sound engineers, artists that became educational technicians, greasy spoon cooks that became chefs, party heads that became events managers etc.) i doubt most of them would have thought organising a few club nights or festivals would end up in them having 'real life grown up jobs' now.

ahh, halcyon days.

but what you should see in unemployment  is an opportunity...  time is a precious commodity, and time gives you options. see what free courses you local college is doing. volunteer, learn a new skill, when you're in a job market where the employer has all the advantages sometimes it's the strangest things that get you a job. when i left vet nusing i applied for a job in a badge factory, the only reason i didn't get the 'over qualified' dismissal at interview stage was that i could chat to the interviewer about her epileptic dog ! (phenobarbitol dosages...so not on my list of prepared questions!!)

equally, give every job that doesn't morally repulse you a go if you get the chance, i never would have  thought in a million years that i would be happy being a contract  gardener for a housing association, but it was one of the best and most satisfying jobs i've ever done and has made me give serious thought to becoming a partner in a fledgling business doing something similar. (it also gave me the skills to create cash in hand work on my own street, quite a few neighbours took up my 'one off £40 hedge cutting' in the spring and one of them now wants me to have a look at tidying up his back yard on a monthly basis)

there is a dwp scheme called the enterprise allowance scheme, which is available to people who have been unemployed for 6 months and who want to start a business. a friend of mine who has been claiming and working as a cleaner for a while has just used this as a springboard to go legit. if you have a good business idea, see if you can have a chat about it next time you're down the job center.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/adviser/updates/new-enterprise-allowance/

the current demonising of the poor and workshy has always been a stock in trade for the current administration.  most people are fully aware of the the current economic climate and the fact that the world of work has shifted from being the job for life of my parents generation  to the current situation where the world of work needs fewer people to do the jobs available.  i was in asda recently and was asked if i wanted to use the automated checkout instead of waiting for the 'proper' one, i refused and was chatting to the kid on the checkout who asked me why. i explained that every block was taking the jobs of three people, and when they are only getting part time hours to start with, it's a pretty shitty situation, i'd rather wait for 5 mins than see someone put out of work. he told me that they were planning to put another 17 automated checkouts...fucking 17! needless to say, he's in fear for his job... i say to you people, don't use an automated checkout, vote for jobs by refusing to use them where possible.

it's also worth remembering when they trot out the unemployment statistics that britain has had about 2-3 million peopled unemployed since the 1980's, so push the 'strivers versus skivers' rhetoric to the back of your mind, it's not new and i doubt it will get any better anytime soon. no-one is immune to being out of a job at the moment but that doesn't mean you can't make your own work and be better prepared to ride the storms of insecure work availability in the future.

'there's always light at the end of the tunnel, just sometimes it's a train'

Honoured Mook

Date:

Yup, unemployed for a month, so depressed about it that it's bloody unreal.

I was on the radio talking about it the other day actually. I don't claim benefits, my gentleman pays my rent and gives me enough money to eat a bit, but it's ridiculous. So many people are like 'there's so many jobs out there, you're just lazy etc..', when in reality, you have to have this particular qualification and this experience and that's if the jobs there in the first place.

I wish I could just go to the jobcentre but for one I'm scared and for two I don't use my legal name that much any more :(

a troubled cure for a troubled mind...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Jobcentres are soul-crushing places. I used to play "spot the limp" every time I went. That is an atrocious stereotype but there would always be at least one person who I'd then spot out on the street walking normally.

Panda, it doesn't matter what name you use in day-to-day life, your ID should have your legal name on it so you can still sign on.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've been unemployed pretty much since I left school, apart from a brief foray into leaflet delivering and two months behind a bar until my manager and I realised we really weren't working together very well, which I've been told since by the other staff was more her problem than mine, but hey ho.

I didn't really properly look for a job when I turned sixteen, which I now somewhat regret, but I was more focused on academics and on developing myself internally than on earning money. I didn't sign on, because I had an appointment booked and there was widespread flooding on the day and I couldn't get there the first time, and I can't remember what happened the second time but I also couldn't make it. Now, I'm worried I'll show up and they'll say something about the fact that I haven't kept appointments before.

I didn't mind being unemployed from seventeen to eighteen, after I'd dropped out of college, because I was again concentrating on learning new languages and instruments and I had a jolly good time until I realised just how incapable of supporting myself I was. I lived with Blackberry and my contribution was buying him food once a month, because I just couldn't afford anything else. (I get twenty-five pounds a month from my father.)

Now, I'm back at home and I absolutely hate living with my family after two years of being independent. I always knew that I needed to get a job when I got back from Spain, and now I've finally started looking. The most promising so far is a cleaning job, which I quite like the sound of because my people skills are dreadful and customer service is the worst place for me to be, but I'm not looking forward to the inevitable, "See, she dropped out of college and now she's working as a cleaner."

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ Cowl your story sounds similar to mines. I didn't try to find a job while in high school b/c I was already playing around and my mom was afraid my grades would suffer even worse if I got a job. After HS I did try to find a job while simultaneously enrolling into college but the economy was already horrible then so like you I concentrated on college instead which I did really well. Unfortunately no one wants to hire a college student and they only want people for the midnight shift although they advertised for all hours. Recently the News did a story on my area about how jobs advertise for wanting people for entry level positions and then not hiring them for lack of experience.  I thought I was the only one they were yanking around but they've been doing that to many other people in my situation.

That's when I decided to go to the air force. I need money, I need experience, and I need to get the hell out of this city! I will still become a chef but I don't see that happening here and I refuse to have another year of me getting my hopes up just to be crushed.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

Honoured Mook

Date:

I've been on t'dole for a total of six months. After I finished college I got a job at a confectionery factory and then went to Europe, but since returning I've been "bumming around".
It's not so bad as long as you can ignore all the comments about laziness. My Dad's not fussed, which is nice, but my Mum's really on my case, and she hates her job...

Voltaire -

"The best way to become boring is to say everything."

Nami, the brutal Mook.

[Tumblog][Facebook][DeviantArt][Vampirefreaks

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us