Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Musicy-techy question

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
Musicy-techy question

I really had no idea where to put this so if a mod thinks it belongs elsewhere, please feel free to move it.

Basically I'm trying to learn a song (As Vesta Was by Thomas Weelkes if anyone wants to know) but I need to learn  the 2nd soprano part. I have no musical instrument skills and I can't pick  the part out of a recording very easily. What I wanted to know was is there a program/thing I can do to either eliminate all parts but the one I want to hear or just make the 2nd sop part stand out more when all I have is an mp3 track?

Any other suggestions are also welcome.

He'll always be there singing songs in my head.

I believe in Sherlock Holmes.

International Mook of Mystery (mod)

Date:

It's been a while since I've looked for a way to pick one part of a track out from another when I was deeper into remixing, but as far as I know, it's pretty much impossible to separate tracks from one another completely in a song once it's mixed down into its final copy.

You might be able to play with a program like Audacity (which is free) and stroll through their user forums to see what workarounds people who are bigger audiophiles than me have found, but you're definitely not going to be able to make a clean separation.

-- Edited by Izil on Monday 5th of August 2013 06:21:52 PM

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so effin' heroic."--George Carlin

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

That's generally hard enough when there is only one vocal track,but for this song it's going to be pretty much impossible. I had a few listens on YT (hopefully this is the song you mean) and with six overlapping vocal tracks,and the two soprano parts tracking each other in places only a few notes apart,there's not much chance of getting a clean isolated track. That's not to say you can't try ; using the equalizer and adjusting the high-pass filter in Audacity should accentuate the higher parts and mute the bass parts somewhat,and if your sound card comes with its own programme it might have a karaoke mode. Perhaps some of the live performances on YT would have that part standing out better.

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us