Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Mookychick Domestic Sluts United

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
RE: Mookychick Domestic Sluts United

_cinnamonstars wrote:

^That made me chuckle!

We're moving house in about a week and are just on the verge of starting the "SHIT THE FLAT IS A STATE" panic-cleaning. If anyone has any good ideas for dealing with/getting rid of the following, I'd be most grateful:

1. Getting hair dye stains out of tile grout
2. Dealing with the awful discrepancy in colour between the living room carpet proper, and the living room carpet that's been under a rug for the last two years (which is a terrifying number of shades lighter)
3. Fixing/making less awful the small hole we burned in the kitchen worktop (we've fixed it with silicone glue, and I think we're unlikely to be able to do anything better, but any ideas are good)
4. Cleaning behind our oven which is BOLTED TO THE WALL (what did you think we were going to do, landlords, nick it?).
5. Removing/minimising the huge red mark our red sofa has made on the cream wall behind it (technically not our fault, but it still looks awful).

Also, if you can remind me of places to clean that I'll probably forget about otherwise, that'd be useful too!

1. Vic and Ruby have already said this, but bleach.

2. Empty the hoover bag, hoover the carpet, then use some carpet shampoo and scrub the carpet, that should make the colour difference less dramatic.

3. What type of kitchen worktop is it? Is it wood?

4. Just clean as much as you can reach/see, maybe use something to reach further behind? If it's bolted to the wall though, I doubt the landlords will unbolt it and therefore won't see it.

5. Are you allowed to repaint the wall? Also, I googled this and it suggested "magic erasers" or rubbing alcohol, so give them a go.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Vanish power foam stuff plus scrubbing and vacuum cleaning did wonders for Blackberry's absolutely vile carpet. I'm afraid I don't know much about anything else, other than toothbrush and bleach for grout, which works like magic.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Everyone has suggested what I was going to say. If the carpet is really hard to fix you could rent/buy a carpet cleaner, and that should shift it. As for bits you might have forgotten, stick the vacuum in the cupboards in case you've left any bug attracting crumbs, check all the drains are clear and have a last scout about when you've moved most of your stuff out to make sure there weren't any stains covered by lamps and such that are now visible.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Leikin wrote:

First I got lube on the floor. Forgot to wipe it up, so the Biter slipped in t. Then I got kebab sauce on the floor, in almost exactly the same spot. And this time I slipped in it. I wonder what I'll next get on that spot on the floor.

Enchilada sauce. That's what next got on that spot on the floor.

Also, Annis, when I had to remove hair dye from the white grout and glazed tiles in my last apartment I got some sort of special tile cleaner fluid from the incredibly grumpy dude with the incomprehensible southern accent who checks the moving out cleanings, and it worked like a charm, both on the tiles and grout. It also set back the recovery of my hand eczema by about 3 months, but hey, clean grout.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

ever since it became all boys apart form me, this house has gone to the dogs..... fOOD LYING AROUND all the time! I think we have mice as someones ipod charger has definitely been nibbled on.

also we seem to have accumulated a surplus of stolen road signage in our sitting room from what I'm guessing a result of drunken night-time adventures (it wasn't me!) *sigh*.....

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ how many do you need for it to be considered a surplus? And can you find uses for them? I had a friend who used a roadworks sign wrapped in fairy lights and a Santa hat as Christmas tree one year...

Malin, I'd seriously consider fencing off that patch of floor and posting warnings all around it. Oh, and use rubber gloves when using any cleaner that's even half effective. It's stripping off dirt that wouldn't scrub off, imagine what that'll do to your poor mitts!

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Well not too may maybe 5 but seriously one of them is bloody huge! I don't know how they managed to get it home between them!the fairy lights is a good idea though. I think I could get used to some of them...haha. also We can use them for art! haha!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Oh God oh God oh God. Guys, I did a stupid, stupid thing and put photos up with white tack, and it's stained the wall :( Absolutely kicking myself. Any suggestions as to how to get rid of the marks? I've tried gentle sanding, and am testing normal cleaner in an unobtrusive spot. We move out on Monday so any suggestions are gratefully received :(

Lush Guru

Date:

It's an oil stain, so anything you'd normally use to tackle them. I am a big fan of repainting.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^^ yeah, get yourself a tester pot in the right colour and touch up any stains and scuffs.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Have just recently done the whole march-out clean, boo >.

Sophie

The world is quiet here ...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Guys, I just remembered this thread and thought I'd tell you about a discovery I've just had- I dropped some pesto slap bang in the middle of the toes of my brand new tan leather shoes (I seem to remember the same thing happening to Candy at some point- presumably this is a common middle class problem!). For some reason, I thought WITCH HAZEL IS GOOD FOR OIL ON YOUR FACE, IT WILL BE GOOD FOR OIL ON YOUR SHOES! And lo and behold, it's really helped! I soaked the stain and surrounding area with witch hazel and dabbed (not rubbed) it in, and allowed to dry, and have done this three or four times, and now the stain is barely noticeable. Quite pleased for my instinctive quick-thinking skills, here!

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Ah, I love this thread!

Between my gardening and the dogs running in and out the floors are just impossible to keep clean. I wash them in the morning, they are dirty again by mid-afternoon. So fuck it, I'd rather spend my time outside anyway. Now I can't even remember the last time the floors were cleaned...

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Does anyone know how to clean/vacuum/'not have a stress aneurism over' a really long pile rug? MoT bought us one for the playroom because it's a hard floor and she thought Squidge would like something warm and soft. It's called 'teddy bear soft' and, my god, it was to start off with. I vacuum it practically every day because Squidge is a creator of crumbs and it seems to create it's own fluff (white fluff, on a purple rug). Now it's getting matted on the parts walked on most often and no matter how much we vacuum, it just doesn't come clean. Any ideas? Anyone?

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

^ throw it over the washing line an beat the hell out of it, then a quick vacuum

so what if i love each feather an each spangle, why not try an see things from a different angle?

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

What Blizzard said. Once a week. You do not need to go to the gym if you have rugs. I suspect you don't want to hear about the traditional cleansing rituals of rugs where I live, they are too much work and too tedious to even contemplate.

What about burning the rug at midsummer and get some kind of blanket thingy that can be thrown into the washing machine instead?

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ ooh, I am so tempted to burn it. And many other things that are just too much hassle to bother with. I'll cross my fingers for dry weather tomorrow and thrash this thing into shape.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The house has had a strong cat food smell for probably 2 weeks. I've despaired a bit about why on earth the house would smell so strognly of cat food when Bert's food hasn't been changed, but then I moved his bowl and found a HUGE lump of decaying ocean fish in jelly under his bowl, complete with fly infestation. GROSS. So I got the bowl, scrubbed it thoroughly, disinfected the area with vigour, and then set down a fresh breakfast for Bert, who is now eyeing the bowl and me with disgust, wondering where the pungent fishy stench he loves so much has gone.

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

What kind of bugs eat dust/skin cells and like to live in beds but AREN'T bedbugs or dust mites? BoT has a problem with them. Last week we threw out his bedding and mattress. We vacuumed the floor, walls and bed frame. We poured boiling water in all the unreachable bits to float out dust and bugs. We spent seven hours individually washing toy cars, plastic knights and a couple of thousand pieces of Lego in hot water to get rid of any bugs or eggs. But somehow we must have missed a couple, because they're back. We don't know what they are. The internet yields nothing. They don't seem to be harmful to him (haven't bitten him or anything) but it's disgusting and frustrating. Not to mention, the his bed is on the other side of the wall to Squidge's cot and I really don't want them getting under the floorboards or skirting boards and crawling into the cot.

So, any ideas what these buggers might be? And how to get rid of them permanently?

«First  <  1 2 3 4 | Page of 4  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us