Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: All the Ways in which our Loved Ones Fail at Technology

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
All the Ways in which our Loved Ones Fail at Technology

Does your grandpa post on other people's facebook walls and yet tag them in it "just in case"?
Does your mum think if the printer won't print, it will be fixed if you just hold the keyboard closer to it when you press Print Screen?
Do your in-laws need a phone walk-through on how to close tabs or windows?
Does your sister claim she can't log in to her accounts because "Oh I didn't know you were supposed to remember that thing you wrote in the password field!"? (Mine did that once.)

Post about your friends, relatives and other people's failings to grasp what these fancy new computahs and phone-thinglies and shit actually are and how they're meant to be used.

-- Edited by Leikin on Thursday 16th of May 2013 05:10:00 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Brilliant idea for a thread, Leikin!

I've posted my two best stories in the chatbox, but my father once asked me to check to see if he had Facebook. He didn't understand the concept that you set it up yourself. My brothers have also asked me several times to see if one of our cats has Facebook.

One of my brothers also once got excited at a pop-up window: "Look! I've won an iPod by being the one millionth visitor to this website!"

I have been blamed before for the computer running slowly ("It's those damned Sims games!"), had the computer in for repairs, and had the satisfaction of hearing that the computer had 23894748923 viruses, which was the reason it was running so slowly...

Honoured Mook

Date:

Excellent thread idea! I can't think of any stories right now, but I'm sure I will soon. My mother and her internet adventures have had me bashing my head against a brick wall on many occasions.

Facebook

and a Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Despite explaining it to him countless times, my grandad doesn't fully understand searching on a website. He seems to think that going onto youtube.com means that the specific video he was searching for will just pop up, going on the Easyjet website means the thing should know where you want to go, etc. It's baffling- he's a very intelligent man, and yet totally stumped by even simple technology.

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

My dad used to think that you couldn't copy and paste images, so every time he wanted to add an image from the internet to something, he would print it out, scan it back onto the computer using the scanner he bought specifically for this, crop it on a photo editing program, save it, then add the picture from file.

There's loads from my mum too, but I can't think of any right now, I will return when I remember them! I may also get my boyfriend to post in this about his family at some point, I'm sure there's some funny ones...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

A few weeks back, my mum managed to tag herself on facebook as being at a snooker hall, where she's never ever been in her life, just by rubbing her mobile screen. I laughed so hard...

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^^The cat bit is brilliant! edit: that was directed at cowl. I'm laughing so hard at all of these!

My mom's friend tagged my mom on Facebook in one of those cheesy "friends!!!" images. You know, with the flowers, teddy bears, sparkly text. My mom freaked out because next to her name there was "remove" as in remove the tag, but my mom thought it meant her friend wanted to stop being friends with her...

My mom's fiance honest to god used to not know the difference between text and email.

When I was younger, my mom and grandma didn't understand how to record things on the video machine, so they would phone my uncle every single time.

My mom didn't know how to turn the computer on a few years ago, and after years and years of trying, I never did get my grandma to understand how to copy and paste.

My mom (AGAIN) can't seem to understand it is YOUTUBE, not youtunes.

-- Edited by Wiggles on Thursday 16th of May 2013 06:18:09 PM

Harlan :-)

("they" pronouns please, mookyfolk)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

So not a loved one, but a friend of Tolkien from his computing class (which is at degree level) believed that in order to plug headphones into the headphone socket on a computer, you had to first switch off the computer, and plug them in while the computer was off.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

My god Chels, that thing with your dad is actually hilarious.

too stupid for the bar

and

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

My parents always make me operate the TV and DVD player, as they have an inability to use them!

Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor, rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Fable's parents for whatever reason are not very tech-literate, and last time I was over their mum dragged me over to show me some (rather average) pictures of cats her friend had showed her. I pointed her in the direction of youtube and showed her how to work it. She spent the rest of the evening thrusting things like Charlie Bit My Finger in my face. Bless.

too stupid for the bar

and

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Redshoes wrote:

My dad used to think that you couldn't copy and paste images, so every time he wanted to add an image from the internet to something, he would print it out, scan it back onto the computer using the scanner he bought specifically for this, crop it on a photo editing program, save it, then add the picture from file.

There's loads from my mum too, but I can't think of any right now, I will return when I remember them! I may also get my boyfriend to post in this about his family at some point, I'm sure there's some funny ones...

Hahaha I'm laughing my head off at this :P

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

My grandma called me once to ask me if I received the email she sent in the day before. When I said no she told me the email was probably on the way and would get to me soon. :)

''Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.'' George Carlin

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

In our house,it's my job to retune the TV every time Freeview updates channels or whatever,because my parents can't quite figure it out. I do the same for my aunt next door,as she can't figure out the Freeview box. Mind you,there's quite a lot that goes over my head in the areas of tech that I'm not interested in,such as phones and ebooks.

Redshoes wrote:

So not a loved one, but a friend of Tolkien from his computing class (which is at degree level) believed that in order to plug headphones into the headphone socket on a computer, you had to first switch off the computer, and plug them in while the computer was off.

There are scenarios where having the power off when making/breaking connections is very much advisable,but that isn't one of them,although he should turn the volume down when doing so. In the days before USB connectors and PNP made almost every external device hot-swappable on a PC,you did have to turn the PC off to add printers and external modems etc.,but that was at least 10 and probably nearer 15 years ago...

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Honoured Mook

Date:

I was a late entry into Facebook, but shortly after I got on, so did my mom and dad. My mom complained about my dad's account 'erasing' her's, and so I walked through it with her on Skype. An hour later, I hit on the problem-- they don't understand the concept of signing out of Facebook. They also don't know about Firefox and Chrome saving account names and passwords for you, to make it faster. I am still trying to explain the whole process to them. What is hilarious is the way they have been fighting over Skype. They keep creating new accounts instead of signing out. They currently have nine Skype accounts.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

My grandma has always been somewhat laissez-faire about losing things- she must have hundreds of pairs of glasses because if she's out and has forgotten them, she'll buy a new pair for that day. One time, my dad was at her house and came across a whole drawer of mobile phones, and when asking her what they were doing there, it turned out that she was doing the same thing with phones, and then realised that they all had different numbers and people only knew the number to one of them, so would only call one.

too stupid for the bar

and

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ Oh God Charlie that's hilarious!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

My dad thinks he understands Facebook...he really doesn't. My aunt sent him a PM to his business page and he was worried that people who went on his page would see it. He also doesn't really get the difference between the News Feed and the Timeline. It often leads to a phonecall asking why something has appeared on his page so I have to explain for the umpteenth time that noone but him can see the News Feed!

He also types in web addresses into the search box (if I'm on the phone I have to repeat several times to type into the address bar at the very top of the window, not the search box further down - I wish they'd change their homepage...)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I could fill a book with my mother's computer and phone issues. Here's a few.

Mum: Call up that page
Me: what
Mum: Call up that page
Me: You mean OPEN IT?
Mum: That's what I said

Mum: Find the picture of your baby cousin in my photos on my phone
Me: What?
Mum: you cousin texted me pictures it should be in my images
me: that's not how it works
Mum: YES IT DOES
Me: NO IT DOESN'T

Mum: How do you turn off this stupid ipod

Mum: CHANGE MY BACKGROUND BACK

Mum: WHY IS MY EMAIL PAGE LIKE THIS YOU MESSED WITH IT
Me: NO I didn't.
Mum: Fix it!
Me: This better
Mum: too small. too small. too small. NOW IT'S TOO BIG GO BACK ONE. NO NOW IT'S TOO SMALL. FIX IT.

Mum: HOW DID YOU DO THAT

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

My Mama's laptop has the firefox shortcut thing on the start-bar, and about three shortcut links on the desktop, so whenever I go on it, i usually use the one on the start-bar, and she'll comment that the one IN the start-menu 'works better'. Trying to explain that they're all links to the same place is not worth the effort. 

Also her background is a picture of me as a toddler, wearing a onesie and looking in a mirror... which I conveniently forgot until my Programmer ex went round to fix it and it popped up...oh god.

(Member of The Facebook Sexist Group Eliminating Squad)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

My mum uses Internet Explorer, complains that it's too slow, but refuses to use Google Chrome that I installed for her because she thinks you can only use that for Google. She thought that Firefox was a virus as well.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Sort of related to the topic -I finally got round to watching Avatar for the first time with my grandmother the other day, and pretty much as soon as it was finished she was talking about how amazing and original it was, and how hard it must have been 'acting with all that blue makeup on'. I was amused. (She then went on to talk about how it must have taken such imagination to come up with the plot, and how inventive and creative it was, and said that though she normally didn't like science fiction at all, she loved that. I then asked her how many science fiction films/series she'd seen, or books she'd read before this, and her answer was none.. Personally, I don't think it was very inventive plotwise at all, but the graphics were cool)

-- Edited by Eisbaer on Saturday 18th of May 2013 03:36:34 PM

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I read the headline as "All the Ways in which our Lord Fail at Technology". Which kinda makes perfect sense since I approach technology as if it is ritual magic.

Mumilar isn't really that bad at computers, she is just worried that she may fuck up something and she expects them to make sense.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^Didn't Asimov say something like that?

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

^ Something along the lines of "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic", wasn't it? (It's been such a long time since I read Asimov I've forgotten it all. I should read him again). I'm afraid that technology more advanced than the combustion engine lies firmly in the realm of magic for me. Cars really are the borderland; I know how and why they work in principle, and some basic maintenace, but I will reach a point where I will resort to magic thinking.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

^I feel this way about aircraft of all kinds. I know WHY they stay in the air, but there's a part of my brain that screams "HEAVY OBJECT... GRAVITY... MILES IN THE AIR...MUST BE MAGIC!"

(Member of The Facebook Sexist Group Eliminating Squad)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^Speaking of aircraft, I found out a few years ago that aircraft taking off by, rather than creating enough pressure difference to "push" themselves up, create enough pressure difference to get "sucked" up into the air. It alarmed me somewhat.

-- Edited by cowl on Saturday 18th of May 2013 08:02:16 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^Or,basically,a wizard does it. There's at least one wizard on every flight,but they're in a secret compartment in the baggage hold.

Irilar wrote:

^ Something along the lines of "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic", wasn't it? (It's been such a long time since I read Asimov I've forgotten it all. I should read him again). I'm afraid that technology more advanced than the combustion engine lies firmly in the realm of magic for me. Cars really are the borderland; I know how and why they work in principle, and some basic maintenace, but I will reach a point where I will resort to magic thinking.

Yep,that was it!

Dave.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us