Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: My school doesn't care whether or not it's students graduate that's why it stands for You can't finish

Seasoned Mookster

Date:
My school doesn't care whether or not it's students graduate that's why it stands for You can't finish

My school has determined that receiving $250,000 from U.C.F means that U.C.F has the right to dictate to my school that  "it isn't their job to hold students hands" so I have all my coursework completed but get hardly any REAL support from my school in getting an internship. No wonder ten students killed themselves right on campus a few years ago. What do I do?

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I dont know about the school, but finding an internship yourself isn't impossible. Whatever your feild of study is, think of some places that are in that field and interest you and check websites or visit them and ask if they do internships. Its basically the same as looking for a job.

I did an internship a little while back, and if you can do it unpaid there are lots of places willing to take you if you just email them saying your interested and why and maybe include a CV. Paid internships are harder to get and normally have a more formal application process with an interview. If you cant find any information online try emailing them to find if/when they will be looking for interns to apply and how it is done.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I'm sorry. I failed to mention that my internship must be paid.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ You can still probably make some inquiries yourself. It's got to be worth a shot.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

My university doesn't help Joint Honours students get placements/internships either. But googling '[subjectarea] internships[location]' isn't that hard.

Edited to add: The college not holding your hand through this is a good thing. No-one is going to hold your hand in finding full-time employmentafterwards, so best to start practising now.

-- Edited by lollyPOP on Sunday 7th of April 2013 07:11:45 PM

(Member of The Facebook Sexist Group Eliminating Squad)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Try making an appointment with the university careers service, they're often really well equipped to help students looking for placements.

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

lollyPOP wrote:
The college not holding your hand through this is a good thing. No-one is going to hold your hand in finding full-time employment afterwards, so best to start practising now.

My thoughts exactly- part of me wishes that I'd been given more support by my university with my career plans (my university does offer support, but I wanted to apply for soemthing very specific) but doing things on my own meant that I fully understood the process, had total control and worked everything out in great detail because nobody else was going to do it for me. University is there to make you into someone who can work autonomously both academically and otherwise.

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Well, I do not think that a University helping its students with internships is "holding your hand".

First off, it is ensuring that the internship is of a quality that it's useful for the studies.

Secondly, having a network is very important for getting a job -indeed it was via that I got my internship. Not all students have that -the internship might be an important first step in aquiring one, and the University not getting involved means that those who have a good network get even more of an advantage than they already have.

Thirdly, so what if the University WAS holding your hand? In my opinion, helping you getting an education is their job. Yes, if you get the internship yourself that is great and the process of getting it might be an useful experience to take with you -but that doesn't mean that it is sensible to refuse to help students who struggle and proceed to flunk them. If we could learn everything on our own, we wouldn't need university education. We'd only need them to have examinations that we could go to. Which is of course an option, but in most cases Universities taking a hand in educating people is the most effective way of doing it.

-- Edited by Irilar on Sunday 7th of April 2013 08:58:08 PM

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Thank you!!!

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us