Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Good feminist comics

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:
Good feminist comics

Lina Neidestam and her Zelda rules!

Any others? 

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Date:

Bitchy Bitch!

Date:

Just discovered the lovely online work of Pippa Alice!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Nothing really beats Liv Strömqvist and Karolina Bång when it comes to feminist and queer comics, but both of them are Swedish and I doubt their work has been translated...
I'll have to look for more, I know I know some.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Svensk funker for meg! :) Takk Leikin!

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Vad roligt, tack Leikin! :D

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

I guess this isn't a comic, it's a graphic novel, but Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi is a good example of feminist writing in a visual format.

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

Erika Moen's DAR! series was good, very sex-positive and looks at LGBTQ identities. I love Erika Moen.

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Leikin wrote:

Nothing really beats Liv Strömqvist and Karolina Bång when it comes to feminist and queer comics, but both of them are Swedish and I doubt their work has been translated...
I'll have to look for more, I know I know some.

Oh, I'm happy to hear that these were appreciated! I do know of some more Swedish feminist comic artists, but I thought I'd only mention the 2 most prominent ones. But what about Nanna Johansson (whose columns are, in my opinion, much more feminist and awesome than her comics, even if those are great, too.), Bitte Andersson (who makes mostly LGBTQ comics in Sweden's biggest LGBTQ magazine, but there's much about feminism, too) Sara Hansson, Sara Granér and Max Gustafson makes a lot of sociopolitical comics, some of them dealing with feminism, there is Ellen Ekman (who I predict will be the Next Big Thing in Swedish feminist comics), Karin Nyberg Isa Ekström, Sara Hausenkamp and Saskia Gullstrand who I think are still students, but who made a fanzine about slutshaming called Sluts Just Wanna Have Fun (which I really want to read. I forget how to order it but since they're all based in Malmö, which is 20 minutes by bus from where I live, I might just get my butt over there and visit their school, someday.)
Not to mention the entire feminist comic collective Dotterbolaget (Also http://dotterbolaget.blogspot.se. Main website's under construction right now.) who some of the artists I've mentioned are members of. They make whole feminist comic anthologies and stuff.
Then there's the Goth Queen of Comics, Åsa Grennvall (who has at least one comic that has been translated into English. Beware, though, her comics can be very... depressing. But they illustrate the oppression in heterosexual relationships and insecurity of young women rather well)
Oh and I almost forgot awesome Finnish comic creator Tiitu Takalo!
And it's always worthwhile, checking out Electrocomics, it has many indie comics in English and German, some of them feminist-themed.
I hope some mooks got something new to read now  :D

-- Edited by Leikin on Sunday 9th of December 2012 11:59:41 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Not really a feminist comic at all and often does "your mum" and "your sister" jokes *rolls eyes*, but this one strip by xkcd is excellent if you ask me.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us