Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Does anyone know about customs charges?

Honoured Mook

Date:
Does anyone know about customs charges?

So I've found a corset I want to buy on ebay at a brilliant price but it's coming from Australia and ebay warns that there may be additional customs charges and stuff. Has anyone had to deal with this stuff before and could maybe explain to me about what might happen and what it might cost me?

Thanks

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I once ordered a pair of shoes from an American website, and, as far as I'm aware, it was the only time I've had to pay customs charges, but they did come in an unnecessarily large box and it cost me £20, which I had to pay the postman, in cash, when he arrived.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Wow. It's kind of putting me off, to be honest, because the corset with P+P costs less than £30. And I don't even have £20 on me, ever, to hand over to the postman. *sigh* I knew it was too good to be true.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I believe that you can calculate the total customs and tax charges on some website (it is here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ I think.) And if it hasn't changed since 2010, all charges and fees are waivered if they amount to less than £18. Of course, it also depends a little on the shipping company. Those are allowed to charge fees of their own. DHL, for instance, does that a lot.

-- Edited by Leikin on Thursday 6th of December 2012 02:15:20 PM

Honoured Mook

Date:

I have had a look on the HMRC website and it does look as though it shouldn't cost me anything as long as the customs declaration is filled in correctly, but I still don't feel quite sure of it. I can't decide what to do :/

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I had to pay 25 euro (around 20 pounds) to have my tablet (from China) go through customs. They made a total arse of it too... Absolute pain. You can get lots of lovely, cheap corsets and sorset type tops all over the internet, have a little browse!

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

onewhitelioness wrote:

I have had a look on the HMRC website and it does look as though it shouldn't cost me anything as long as the customs declaration is filled in correctly, but I still don't feel quite sure of it. I can't decide what to do :/

†If it says there will be no customs charges, there will be no customs charges. They're not going to add anything extra that they don't mention on the website, don't worry.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I've messaged the seller as well just to ask if their buyers tend to have to pay customs charges and I've had a good read through their feedback and seen nothing mentioned from any buyers about it.

I just got a bit confused on the HMRC website so I wouldn't swear I'm definitely correct, but that's the impression I get. I'm going to see what the seller responds with and then if I feel good about it, I think I'll order it. I haven't seen anything as nice as that, that isn't over three times the price.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I have ordered t shirts from Red Bubble 3 times, only had to pay customs fee once, I think it may have been because it was over £100 and the other orders weren't.

I got a Royal Mail card (like the 'sorry we missed you' ones) stating the amount, which was £12, and I paid for it online and the package was delivered in the next 2 days.

On the HMRC website it has a section that was updated in April 2012 saying orders less than £135 don't have to pay customs duty
I'd just go for it and see what happens.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us