Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: How to study when you feel depressed?

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
How to study when you feel depressed?

Spoiler because suicide.

Spoiler

-- Edited by orangensaft on Monday 29th of October 2012 06:08:10 PM

Tumblr

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

orangensaft wrote:

Spoiler because suicide.

Spoiler

-- Edited by orangensaft on Monday 29th of October 2012 06:08:10 PM

Oh you poor thing :( I'm in quite a similar boat so I don't have much useful advice I'm afraid, however what I can say from my experience is that I've been considering interrupting my studies for a semester, going to counselling, getting a part time job and just generally sorting myself out before I continue. I don't know whether that's an option where you are, though. Here it is not a rare thing at all: it's not dropping out, they actually won't let you interrupt if you don't have enough credits to continue, but if you apply for a semester or two long iterruption they'll just 'pause' your studies and I think you don't even have to provide reasons. 

Sorry that's all I can think of, I really hope you feel better soon *huggles* It sucks when one's hindered in their academic achievement by depression :(

Pony Frenzy

Regular Crew

Date:

I know I don't know you as a person but I really am very sorry to hear you are feeling so down. Its really not easy and you a definitely a very strong person to make it to your final year of uni despite how you feel. Also, don't forget you are probably more intelligent than you think as not everyone can get into uni. What I think though is to put your wellbeing first as really that is more important than a degree. Have you thought about deferring ever or is that an option? Its so hard to stay motivated sometimes I know that for a fact. Always remember that you are special and unique and the world would not be the same without you. Much love xx

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Thanks for your responses. Dropping out is pretty tempting and I have thought about it, but I don't think it would help much as I don't really have anything I could do if I dropped out and even though I'm completely miserable right now I don't want the upheaval and knowing I'd have to come back. Also there'd be loads of little things like explaining myself to people, and fees and whatever else you have to do when you drop out which I don't want to deal with. Thanks for your suggestions though.

Tumblr

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

When I was depressed I went to my GP and got a sickleave (and medication & therapy once a week). Granted, I was so I'll that most days I wasn't able to get out of bed, wash myself or even eat without someone looking after me and urging me to do it but you really don't want to let it go that far. Dropping out isn't the only option, you can organize it so that you simply get a leave from uni due to illness. I know it really isn't something that is easy to arrange when suffering from depression, but it is needful to do.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Oh darling, I don't know what to say. I get major depressive episodes too but my reaction is the exact opposite of yours. When I'm depressed, I live for nothing but academia and I immerse myself in reading and essay writing. Keeping busy somehow helps me tread water.

If you're struggling with the workload, talk to your director of studies, explain what's going on and ask them if they could extend your essay deadlines. You might need to visit your GP first to get an official diagnosis but I think most universities can be pretty flexible when it comes to students having health issues. They don't want you to drop out! No matter what you do, please see a counsellor as soon as possible. xx

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Irilar wrote:

When I was depressed I went to my GP and got a sickleave (and medication & therapy once a week). Granted, I was so I'll that most days I wasn't able to get out of bed, wash myself or even eat without someone looking after me and urging me to do it but you really don't want to let it go that far. Dropping out isn't the only option, you can organize it so that you simply get a leave from uni due to illness. I know it really isn't something that is easy to arrange when suffering from depression, but it is needful to do.

That's still like temporary dropping out though which I don't want to do sorry. Thanks for your answer though.

Spiggy wrote:

Oh darling, I don't know what to say. I get major depressive episodes too but my reaction is the exact opposite of yours. When I'm depressed, I live for nothing but academia and I immerse myself in reading and essay writing. Keeping busy somehow helps me tread water.

If you're struggling with the workload, talk to your director of studies, explain what's going on and ask them if they could extend your essay deadlines. You might need to visit your GP first to get an official diagnosis but I think most universities can be pretty flexible when it comes to students having health issues. They don't want you to drop out! No matter what you do, please see a counsellor as soon as possible. xx

I brought it up to my personal tutor last year but I didn't really follow through with it. I probably should do that though, yeah. I have a proper diagnosis and I'm seeing a counsellor already, not sure how much it's helping though. Thanks for responding.

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Oh lovely, I'm so sorry, I didn't realise things were so bad at the moment. Firstly, I think you need to talk to a tutor and mention your situation, because if nothing else, they may be able to give you some useful ideas, but they might also be able to put you on a part-time course so that you're still studying, you just have a bit more time to focus on getting better. Why isn't seeing a counsellor helping? If it's not right, find someone who is better for you. I really hope things get better, lovely one.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Aenigma wrote:

Oh lovely, I'm so sorry, I didn't realise things were so bad at the moment. Firstly, I think you need to talk to a tutor and mention your situation, because if nothing else, they may be able to give you some useful ideas, but they might also be able to put you on a part-time course so that you're still studying, you just have a bit more time to focus on getting better. Why isn't seeing a counsellor helping? If it's not right, find someone who is better for you. I really hope things get better, lovely one.

Ok I'll bear it in mind thanks. I dunno, I suppose he's given me some useful ideas (not necessarily things I hadn't thought of before, but sometimes it helps to have someone to push you a little bit) and I suppose it's also nice to have someone who listens to you and is sympathetic, but I don't really feel any better for it.

Feeling a little bit more capable about uni today as I found out I got 70% in a (non assessed) Spanish tranlation. (: I decided I think I'm still going to try and work up the courage to ask the counsellor tomorrow about if I can claim mitigating circumstances or something for last year because I really fucked up and got 52% for the year when in previous years I've been getting marks in the 60s. I don't know if they do that though. We'll see.

Tumblr

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I suffered from depression throughout most of my teenage years and then when I started university, it went away. Then I got to my final year and realised I would have to go back "home" again - and oh, hello there depression, not so nice to see you again.

I had one thought that kept me going long enough to complete my degree to a good standard, and that was "I am going to be WAY MORE miserable if I don't even manage to get my degree." I know it's not as simple as that, but focusing on that idea is what meant I kept going and worked as hard as my depression would possibly let me.

The thing I DO regret is I didn't go to get help until I'd already finished uni. I had a month at uni where I had finished all my work but I hadn't gone home yet and it wasn't until my last three weeks there that I started receiving counselling. I should have done it sooner in all honesty. So this is my advice to you: get as much help as you can. Go to your doctor. Get counselling or medication, or a combination, whichever works for you. With me, I found that I felt much better once I'd taken the first step to help myself.

I hope things start to get better soon and good luck with your degree xx

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

loserbuttercup wrote:

I suffered from depression throughout most of my teenage years and then when I started university, it went away. Then I got to my final year and realised I would have to go back "home" again - and oh, hello there depression, not so nice to see you again.

I had one thought that kept me going long enough to complete my degree to a good standard, and that was "I am going to be WAY MORE miserable if I don't even manage to get my degree." I know it's not as simple as that, but focusing on that idea is what meant I kept going and worked as hard as my depression would possibly let me.

The thing I DO regret is I didn't go to get help until I'd already finished uni. I had a month at uni where I had finished all my work but I hadn't gone home yet and it wasn't until my last three weeks there that I started receiving counselling. I should have done it sooner in all honesty. So this is my advice to you: get as much help as you can. Go to your doctor. Get counselling or medication, or a combination, whichever works for you. With me, I found that I felt much better once I'd taken the first step to help myself.

I hope things start to get better soon and good luck with your degree xx

Thanks for answering. Mostly I can't think of the future without feeling too bleak, but you're right and I'll try and remember that, thanks. And I'm trying to do those things already.

Tumblr

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I don't really have any advice I can offer, but I didn't want to read and run. I think everyone else has said some pretty useful things so I hope you do get help, whatever kind works out for you. xx

He'll always be there singing songs in my head.

I believe in Sherlock Holmes.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Lulu-fifi wrote:

I don't really have any advice I can offer, but I didn't want to read and run. I think everyone else has said some pretty useful things so I hope you do get help, whatever kind works out for you. xx

Thanks. :)

Tumblr

Regular Crew

Date:

Sorry to hear :{
It's really hard to do the work but I've found giving myself a treat at the end of it boosts the motivation.
Have you tried that?
other than that I have a nagging manwife with his foot up my butt.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us