Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: I have to go camping for work, what should I pack?

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:
I have to go camping for work, what should I pack?

Right then, guys and Girls.

I'm working at Beach Break Live this week and don't really know what to take. So far I have:

Dry shampoo

Uniforms,

Underwear,

Babywipes

Loo roll

Play clothes

Make-up

Hairbrush.

Beer (we're allowed to drink a tiny bit within regulations)

Food (Except we're not allowed camping stoves, so any advice of light, cold food which will fill me is appreciated)

Water

(Member of The Facebook Sexist Group Eliminating Squad)

Date:

Torch. You need a torch for bog breaks in the dark!
Food: Resealable bag of minstrels, babybels, nuts in a tupperware container

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

TORCH! Jesus Christ! Who would go camping without a torch? *adds to list like she already thought of it*

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

You're not allowed a stove!?! Harsh! Any reason why not?

Tins of corned beef. Tinned tuna. Bananas. I am actually struggling to think of decent food you can eat that doesn't involve some sort of cooking...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Cereal bars,
Crackers/oatcakes (unlike bread, won't go stale after five minutes of being in the open),
Lots of water (or a refillable bottle if you've got access to water),
Bottle of double concentrated juice to make water more interesting,
Dried fruit and nuts,
Chocolate (dark keeps better than milk and is generally better for energy ect),
Tinned fish and/or meat (don't forget a tin opener if they don't have ring-pulls),
Tins of beans (if you can stand them cold, some people can't),
Cheese (find a brand that doesn't need to be refrigerated and can stand being kept in a small cool-bag),
Pepperoni,
Jam (took a squeazy bottle last time I went away and put it on everything from digestives to toast to... crisps. It was delicious, I'm not ashamed of that),
A couple of bags of crisps (but they'll take up space, possibly pop and just give you a large hit of salt you'll probably have problems fixing if getting drinks isn't as easy as at home),
Jar of salmon paste/whatever you like (check how long it can be used after opening, might be worth getting together with a couple of other people and using one jar per day so that it doesn't go off and leave you with nothing),
Digestive biscuits. Plain that you can put jam, cheese, whatever on or chocolate.

Also, if you're really sneaky about it and people are allowed to smoke, there will be matches/lighters around. Bring a couple of unscented tea lights and some wooden skewers, light the candles and toast marshmallows over them. Stick between two chocolate digestives. Cheaters s'mores! You can't go camping without s'mores. The sugar will perk you up a bit and the warmth will remind your body that it's not the end of the world.

Away from food, you'll need extra jumpers and warm clothes for bed. However hot it is during the day, it'll get cold at night. Even if it isn't arctic, you might like to take a warmish hat for nighttime adventures looking for the bathroom because there's nothing worse than waking up nice and cosy and then going into relatively colder air and having to come back and feel cold and miserable instead of warm and cosy. If you put the hat on before your ears get cold and take it off when you're snuggling back into bed you won't have the jarring cold wakeup feeling.

Small personal first-aid kit. A few plasters, some wipes, painkillers if you take them, that sort of thing. There will be first aid kits around but it's often easier to stick a plaster on a small cut yourself than to find the first aider, then have to go to the first aid kit, possibly have to wait behind people who've scraped a knee, got sunburn, feels sick ect. Oh, and blister plasters. Do not forget blister plasters.

Sun block and aftersun. You might not see the sun, but out in the open you're more likely to burn than when you're sat indoors all day.

Insect repellant.

Spare pillow/blanket if you think you might want something a bit cosier.

Spare batteries for torch

Waterproof coat (just in case)

-- Edited by Angels+Eyeliner on Monday 11th of June 2012 10:51:33 AM

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

You.are.amazing!
We're only allowed disposable barbeques. HOWEVER, we are also restricted to one bag per person (I KNOW RIGHT?).
Thanks guys, I think I'm sorted now :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

By the way, bin bag liners are handy. Not just for general waste but if it rains and it starts to get into your tent you can cover your stuff up and also line them on the ground for minimal water damage.
And seats.

We took loads to T in the Park last year and they saved our arses.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Oh extra socks!! Either for doubling up at night to keep your tootsies warm or for when your feet inevitably get wet.

One bag - strap things to it :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

You can get those vacuum clothes bags that you just roll up to squeeze the air out of, that'll mean that your clothes don't take up too much space. I've seen them in pound shops, not sure how many bags in a packet but it's the sort of thing you'll be glad you had even if you don't really NEED it.

And sunglasses, probably.

-- Edited by Angels+Eyeliner on Monday 11th of June 2012 03:14:24 PM

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

3 bags to a pack in the ones we saw at Poundland on Saturday.

"Just because someone doesnt love you the way you want them to doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have." -- Truman Capote

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Why were you paying more attention than I was?

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

For the same reason you saw that I packed up my sweater and spare clothes in carrier bags-- I already had a need of those things when we entered.

"Just because someone doesnt love you the way you want them to doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have." -- Truman Capote

Lush Guru

Date:

The most important thing to remember about camping in my opinion is that at night the ground below you is colder than the air above. So yes, a decent sleeping bag is amazing but if it's going straight on your groundsheet you're going to be freezing. Rollmats are the smallest way to deal with the problem and you can go a step up and get self inflating ones which are even better.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

hand sanitizer
extra undies/bras/socks in case you sweat through them during the day so you don't have to feel nasty
Jerky (I can't remember if you've said if you're veggie/vegan in the past)
deodorant
LOTS OF WATER
somewhere to keep that water out of the sun (hot water that isn't boiled can make you sick.)
hand warmers

I think everyone else covered the other stuff.

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

Thankyou guys, I love the tea-light/marshmallow idea! And we bloody better be able to smoke or I'm going to go insane. Heh, I might go insane anyway, this trip is terrifying me.
Very good point Alka! I'm anemic too, so any cold-eliminating things are good.
Angels and Alligator, I love the fact that these things are only a pound :)

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

there's probably a bit of a walk from where you get dropped off and where you're camping. hauling all your shit, especially if you've got bags strapped to bags, is a nightmare.

sack trucks are a godsend, and these ones fold flat, so you can attach it to your bag with bungey straps and then unfold when you need it. this will carry 50kg, which should be more than enough.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50KG-EASY-FOLDING-HAND-TRUCK-CART-SACK-TROLLEY-BARROW-/400302536180?pt=UK_Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=item5d33e3f5f4

-- Edited by lady carfax on Tuesday 12th of June 2012 01:53:23 PM

'there's always light at the end of the tunnel, just sometimes it's a train'

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

That's a great idea LC! Unfortunately I don't think it'd be here by Thursday :/

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-633565-Folding-Sack-Truck/dp/B000LFYO7E

next day delivery if you order in the next couple of hours.

'there's always light at the end of the tunnel, just sometimes it's a train'

Honoured Mook

Date:

Surprised noone has said duct tape..

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

I forgot to update this! Silly Lolly!
Well, it went...well.. I was cold, wet and didn't do as many hours as I wanted to, I slept using my suitcase as a pillow, since I forgot mine.
I had a miserable time, but at least I was well prepared haha!

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us