Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Short hair just ain't sexy...

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:
RE: Short hair just ain't sexy...

What annoys me most about rubbish like "girls must have long hair to be sexy" is that it stems from the assumption that as a female your greatest goal in life must be to be sexy and physically attractive. I do not give a flying fuck if people think my hair is sexy or not, it is not my job to be a decorative element.

I didn't go to the hairdresser the other day to make myself look prettier, I went to make myself look like a cool badger.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Alka wrote:

I've never had anyone tell me short hair isn't sexy to my face. Maybe I'm too much of a badass.

Also this whole wedding thing...surely you're meant to look like YOU on your wedding day. If you normally have short hair, then why would you make it long just for the wedding (or vice versa?) I just can't understand it.

If I was engaged, I would think about growing out my sides for marriage but that's because
a) I'm thinking about it anyway.
b) A 'normal' hairstyle is a bit more classic so the wedding photies wouldn't look dated.

I am almost certainly going to have short hair at my wedding, because I am rapidly getting bored of longer hair, and it is still only just past my shoulders! That said, I still think of myself as having short hair, and so when people tell me it is long, I'm like, "WHAA?"

Re - short hair not being sexy, I think that's really odd. If I were to put labels on things, I would call short hair 'sexy' and long hair 'pretty'. Do you see what I mean? But at the end of the day, sexiness has absolutely nothing to do with hair, and pretty much everything to do with attitude, if you ask me!

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Irilar wrote:

I do not give a flying fuck if people think my hair is sexy or not, it is not my job to be a decorative element.

This sentence just made my day! I couldn't agree more Irilar. Also, I never heard the expression ''flying fuck'' before. :)

Ampersand wrote:

Re - short hair not being sexy, I think that's really odd. If I were to put labels on things, I would call short hair 'sexy' and long hair 'pretty'. Do you see what I mean? But at the end of the day, sexiness has absolutely nothing to do with hair, and pretty much everything to do with attitude, if you ask me!

True! I know girls who feel like they need to have long hair to look sexy. If you have the guts to have short hair, it means you're confident enough to feel good about yourself without hiding behind long hair. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that all girls with long hair lack confidence, I just applaude those who don't give a fuck about what others may think and have the haircut they like.

''Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.'' George Carlin

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Ampersand wrote:
Alka wrote:

I've never had anyone tell me short hair isn't sexy to my face. Maybe I'm too much of a badass.

Also this whole wedding thing...surely you're meant to look like YOU on your wedding day. If you normally have short hair, then why would you make it long just for the wedding (or vice versa?) I just can't understand it.

If I was engaged, I would think about growing out my sides for marriage but that's because
a) I'm thinking about it anyway.
b) A 'normal' hairstyle is a bit more classic so the wedding photies wouldn't look dated.

I am almost certainly going to have short hair at my wedding, because I am rapidly getting bored of longer hair, and it is still only just past my shoulders! That said, I still think of myself as having short hair, and so when people tell me it is long, I'm like, "WHAA?"

I have nothing of value to add to this conversation, I just wanted to say that as I was reading your first paragraph Candi I really wanted crispy coated mozarella sticks!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Wyno wrote:
If you have the guts to have short hair, it means you're confident enough to feel good about yourself without hiding behind long hair.

That's the thing with short hair. It looks edgier because ninety-nine times out of one hundred it has been cut that way because of an active decision. Long hair can also be an active decision, but it's also what happens if you don't make a decision to do anything with it... It's easier to see a girl's personality through shorter hair than it is long hair, and mooky girls all have sexy personalities.

Obviously it doesn't work the same way with boys as it's 'expected' that they have shorter hair and it's the boys who let their hair grow who are the edgier ones. Frankly, I bet most are just lazy. A recent computer problem ended with me over at City Boy's and we both ended up laughing at each other's hair. For most of the time he's known me, I've had insanely long hair and he's had an almost completely shaved head. Now mine is MUCH shorter than his, because he hasn't had it cut in god knows how long. It looks too long and a bit messy now, but a couple of weeks ago it looked awesome on him so he's getting it trimmed down to that length again.

He's finally learned how annoying it is to have someone pull curls gently to make them bounce up and down after I did it for a whole hour.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I really love having short hair again, it is easy to style and makes me feel cute and elfin. I actually feel sexier than I did with long hair. Also, the feel of running your fingers through short soft hair is absolutely lovely!

Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor, rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I don't have much to add really, but I do just wanna say - Short hair is VERY sexy!

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

My blog

My Tumblr 

My Twitter

Honoured Mook

Date:

Every day of my life, my mother bugs me about cutting my hair. I've since stopped, and she still annoys the hell out of me. "Don't cut your hair again. I like it long." What about what I like? I don't understand why people think we have to do things to please everyone else.

Tumblrs 1 & 2

I am 100% scum.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Irilar wrote:

What annoys me most about rubbish like "girls must have long hair to be sexy" is that it stems from the assumption that as a female your greatest goal in life must be to be sexy and physically attractive. I do not give a flying fuck if people think my hair is sexy or not, it is not my job to be a decorative element.

I didn't go to the hairdresser the other day to make myself look prettier, I went to make myself look like a cool badger.

I was thinking this when I decided to go short again, not the badger part so much though I wish I'd thought of that!

The only reason that people have given for me not having short hair is that they wouldn't find it sexy, or as sexy as long hair. That was the only reason. But seeing as I find short hair very attractive, why the hell shouldn't I cut it short? I get tonnes more compliments with short hair than I did with long hair.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The only actual reasons I can think of for having long hair are religious reasons, like certain Sikhs who don't ever cut their hair, and possibly if you work in an environment where you want to make sure you can secure your hair back. Properly short hair doesn't get in your eyes, but a bob can if you happen to be riding a bicycle or lean over a desk with a craft knife... longish hair that's all one length that you can stick into a bobble and keep out of the way would be easier to maintain than the thousand clips I used the other day in desperation. But that's practicality purposes, and I'm guessing those narrowminded idiots who will say short hair can't be sexy won't be into women who dress approprietly and not to be pretty dolls.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've had a cute bob haircut for most of my life, kinda like this. In fact when I was young family members used to call me Pulp Fiction and I never knew what they meant haha. I had pretty long hair when I was 14 but decided it was boring and wanted a funky short hair cut. I liked it for a while until I started getting teased for looking like a boy. Then I decided short hair was not for me and I wanted to grow it out.

The longest my hair had ever been was just past my boobs and it was very difficult to manage, so I cut it all off into a short bob. Now it's just growing back from that haircut and it's just past shoulder length. I am SO tempted to get it cut again. Truthfully, I'm more tempted to shave a portion of it off (I have tiny shavey bits at the side but they're not enough dammit) but I think it would look silly with my blunt fringe. 

Anyway, I think short hair is sexy on girls and sexy on boys. I think long hair is sexy on girls and sexy on boys. I think HAIR is sexy, and it's great that we have hair that we can mess around with and style as we please. 

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Angels+Eyeliner wrote:

He's finally learned how annoying it is to have someone pull curls gently to make them bounce up and down after I did it for a whole hour.

That's one of the cutest things I've read on here in a long while that didn't involve kittens. Awww. :)

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

You think it's cute? How long is your hair? I don't care mister, you're growing your hair, we're curling it and then I'm gonna come round and spring your curls for an hour. See how cute you think it is then :P

Honoured Mook

Date:

I had long hair until I was 20 (I had it short for a little while but that wasn't exactly by choice).

I just don't get why people would think that other people would go out of their way to look 'sexy' or another persons definition of sexy. Is it just me, or wouldn't you rather look exactly how you fancied at a particular time, and have someone dig that?

Also short hair is da bomb :P

And Irilar, I love you, what's happening with these world domination plans?

a troubled cure for a troubled mind...

Regular Crew

Date:

I had long, curly, bum-length hippy hair since I don't know when. When I was twelve, I hated it so much I piled the shit all on my head and stuck all manner of clips, pins and scarfs in it to keep the lot up there. I eventually managed to pluck up the courage to get the underneath cut all off and the top in a kind of bob-style. This one is good if you are an aspiring Robert Smith and like to backcomb. Also can be put in rollers, I looked like a punk Betty Draper for a bit. :')

You can run. But you cannot escape. Wherever you go. There you are.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

As a child I had long hair that reached down to the bottom on my back which, as a child, I loved.

Once I got to around 11 though I hated it, and my mum wanted me to keep it for whatever reason, then when I was 13, my mum gave me a whole bunch of money for something (can't remember what) and I took myself to the hairdressers with it and, much to my mum's horror, got my hair cut into a short of bob. I loved it, and even my mum admitted once she got over her shock that it looked better.

I've let it grow out since and it's stayed roughly around my shoulders, but every now and then I get an urge to have a pixie cut. Maybe one day, but for now I'm going to keep it this length purely because I want to dye it all turquoise in the summer (and I think with more hair that colour would look more dramatic).

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Hm...I think short hair is sexy...but I've never been that interested in whether people think my short hair is sexy or not. I had my mohawk cut back to a Chelsea cut today, and am currently dying it purple - when I'm done, it'll look like it did in the photo I posted in the "Bald Beauties" thread.

I know that a lot of people, male and female alike, don't like very short hair on women but I am not one of them! I think short hair can look great on ladies.

When I'm trying to pick a new hair style, I tend to look back over the many different ones I've had and the huge array of colours I've gone through to see what looked best on me. My research has shown that I suit short hair better than long hair!

xxx Eve

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Randomly reading strange articles on my homepage and happened to read one about Tulisa not being the world's sexiest woman according to women despite winning the title in FHM. That's all irrelevant really but the following pretty much sums up any argument about a woman's LOOKS and her sexiness.

"It may sound like we're stating the obvious, but in our eyes, there is a difference between a woman being 'hot' and a woman being sexy. Saying someone is hot is a snap assessment based solely on their looks, whereas being sexy is agreed, about their looks, but is also about something a bit more intangible [...] I did a straw poll of our female editors at MSN, and overwhelmingly, most of us said that it was to do with confidence and how a woman carried herself [...] Confidence makes a woman sexy - and I can't stress this one enough - it doesn't mean being the centre of attention all the time"

In other news, I'm quite tempted to cut my hair even shorter.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

^ So true. I find the strangest things sexy, but the sexiest thing by far is confidence. I love it when people are comfortable enough in their own skin to dress and look how they want (not how other people want).

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

i've just taken out all my old dreadlock extendars, so my 'new' locks are about 6 inches long. it's quite nice having them short again for a bit. (damned site less haeavy, too)

'there's always light at the end of the tunnel, just sometimes it's a train'

Regular Crew

Date:

My next hairstyle will be a mohawk. The thought has been on my mind for so long that I just have to.

So how does this relate to the topic of this thread? Well, it's the arguments my family has against women with mohawks. "It's not feminine, it won't look pretty on you, don't you care what others think about your looks?". Well no, I don't. I've had a mohawk once before, and those are the arguments that I heard back then. The thing is, I don't care if it's not feminine. I don't care if some people think long hair is sexier than short hair, I had a very long hair when I was younger and will never have that again. It doesn't suit me. Very sorry if I'm not sexy because long hair doesn't flatter my features. I think I'm prettier with a mohawk. It's not like my hair ever hurt anyone.

In my opinion women with short hair are generally sexier than those with long hair. That's just my opinion and I don't try to force it on anyone.

There was an accident with a contraceptive and a time machine. Now concentrate!

Lush Guru

Date:

^^I'm pretty and I have a mohawk! Mohawks are very pretty!! Mohawks ftw.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I guess I am in the minority as I prefer long hair especially on men, yum! I don't have anything against people with short hair I still think they look nice tho. I cut my hair short once as I had the underneath of my hair shaved and wanted to grow it back out so I needed it all the same length. I was constantly mistaken for a boy tho lol I don't think I could really pull it off.

-- Edited by Princess_valium on Wednesday 23rd of May 2012 02:38:22 PM

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I prefer longer hair on men as well, although it all depends upon the person. For example, I once thought that I preferred clean-shaven men, but lately I've noticed that a lot of the guys that I've been attracted to have had a scruffy look to them. Different looks flatter different people. I actually think short hair has a greater potential to be flattering on a woman because it frames the face and accentuates the eyes. I wish it were more popular where I live, but then again, I live in a really conservative suburb where girls with short hair are called lesbians. God, I have to get out of here...

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I must admit that I do have a love for men with long hair, they always catch my eye!

Honoured Mook

Date:

Long hair on menfolks = nom. :d They make me think of Vikings and metalheads; I am quite fond of both. I find long hair incredibly masculine, actually. I said it once and I'll say it again... NOM.

But short hair's pretty great, too.

His lips were blue.
Well, I guess they were pink, but they looked blue and I couldn't help but notice how they matched his eyes.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ Agreed. I have a weird urge to run my fingers through the long hair of men. I also love curly hair. *cough cough* Chyna and Lolly.

I've been toying with cutting my baby dreads into a bob once it matures kind of like Madonna's Like A Virgin phase.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ Just want to get in on the loving long hair on men... I loveee it muchly. Jethro's hair is down his back and it has a few lovely curls in it at the bottom. I also love when he ties it up, it makes him look so handsome *swoon*

Kai, I wanna see pics of your baby dreads! :)

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Indigo Empress wrote:

^ Just want to get in on the loving long hair on men... I loveee it muchly. Jethro's hair is down his back and it has a few lovely curls in it at the bottom. I also love when he ties it up, it makes him look so handsome *swoon*

Kai, I wanna see pics of your baby dreads! :)

I will. I keep forgetting to put pics up.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

Baby Mook

Date:

I agree with every comment here. My hair absolutely REFUSED to grow past my clavicle when I started perming it as a youngster. Unfortunately, I was forced to temporarily switch shampoos last year (that's an entirely different story). The new shampoo made my beautiful hair stringy and dry and frizzy and uncurlable...so this past December I took the scissors and cut it off! It's more convenient since America's a fucking furnace this time of year.

I DARE someone to say Winona Ryder didn't look gorgeous when her hair was short! :D

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us