Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Short hair just ain't sexy...

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
Short hair just ain't sexy...

THE HELL IT ISN'T. The title comes from a conversation that I had with an ex while I was planning what next to do with my hair. Nothing has made me want to shave my head quite as much as hearing that.

For the record, I love short hair on girls. I absolutely adore it. Nearly all the women in my family rock a crop.

However, whenever I've talked to my peers about girls having short hair they have been almost insulted by the idea that I find it attractive. All of my ex-boyfriends have spent time trying to talk me out of cutting my hair short again, and have idolized girls with long flowing locks.

Long hair is beautiful. But so is short hair. I just don't get why the majority of people seem to find women with short hair unattractive, or 'unsexy'. This has been playing on my mind a little as I'm planning to cut my hair into a short bob on Thursday (YAY), and while I am very much doing this for myself as I have wanted this style for a long time, it still bothers me a little.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Why do you reckon that so many people seem to be stuck in the girls-should-have-long-hair mind set?

-- Edited by Moth-kin on Sunday 15th of April 2012 04:53:44 PM

Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor, rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief.

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

I abhor this statement!

But seriously, I think it's strange that people are still in the mindset of 'girls have long hair, boys have short hair'. My mum for instance, has always had very short hair, as when it gets long she finds herself very annoyed with it. I would say it might be to do with advertising for hair products- women in shampoo and dye ads always have very long, thick, silky hair and if that is the type of hair that's being portrayed as the ideal, people will expect others to match up to it, or at least want to.

Next time I trim my hair I'll feel very rebellious in light of this topic.

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Short hair is hot as hell. My God, I couldn't pull it off when I had it but I envy all the ladies out there who can, it looks stunning. I don't know why people insist on making this ridiculously general statement, that's like saying 'all short people are dumpy' or 'freckles can never look good' (and as a short, freckly person who has heard both many times... well, you get my point).

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I think the cultural preference for long hair in ladies is so culturally ingrained that it's automatically gets tied to the image of femininity. People do expect others to want to look their best, so I think a lot of people have a hard time understanding why someone wouldn't want to work toward this "ideal."

My dad flat out refused to let me shave my head when I was fifteen. So my mom and I cut it down to an inch. :D AND I LOVED IT. It made my face look more feminine, in my opinion, and got this cute just-woke-up appearance when I let it get messed up. When I had short hair, people often mistook me for a guy. Then again, I was wearing overlarge T-shirts whenever this happened, my face isn't classically "feminine," and I'm not particularly busty or curvy. I think it was because most people equated short hair + androgynous clothing = male.

His lips were blue.
Well, I guess they were pink, but they looked blue and I couldn't help but notice how they matched his eyes.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm instantly attracted to just about any girl with short hair, I think it's incredible attractive. The shorter the better. I'd love to someday chop all my hair off... It's only been short once, and that was when I was quite young. I've always had long hair and been extremely jealous of ladies who have short hair, but I'm not confident enough to do it myself. Good on all you Mooks you found the courage to do it!

Harlan :-)

("they" pronouns please, mookyfolk)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I LOVE having short hair (even if I am trying to grow it out just now but that's my fickleness). I think girls look hot as hell if they suit really short hair.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

When I had really short hair I got waaaay more compliments than I do now that it's a bit longer. Short hair can look tomboyish OR feminine, depending on how you style it and what you wear. People who think short hair isn't sexy can fuck right off.

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Regular Crew

Date:

My hair used to be down to my waist, now its not even touching my shoulders, its sooo much easier and i love it so much. I think short hair makes people look thinner and more sophisticated.

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

I have a really odd relationship with my hair. When I was little, I had it very very short, and so people would think I was a boy. I refused to wear trousers until my hair was long, and then when I had very long hair, I would dress in a quite androgynous way.
After about ten years of having very long hair, I had a couple of bad experiences with men pulling my hair (this is a long and upsetting story, and it isn't hugely relevant right now) so I got it cut into a bob. A drastic change, and I love love LOVED it. I kept it bobbed for a long time, because it was so much easier. I never had to brush my hair, only give it a quick comb when it was wet, and I felt cute and stylish...

Then Tumblr happened. Like many other aspects of my appearance, Tumblr changed how I felt about my short hair. It seemed that to be interesting and beautiful, you had to have long hair. Also, I got engaged, and you are 'meant to have long hair to get married' so I started to grow it. It is now just past my shoulders. I am enjoying being able to plait my hair, and put it up, and swish it about, etc etc. But to be honest, I miss my short hair. As much as anything, I miss going to the hairdresser and the whole ritual of having a hair cut. Also, doing my henna is much harder now.

So I am a bit torn really. I will probably do some sort of crazy dip-dye in about six weeks, then get it cut back to a bob at the end of the summer. What does everyone think?

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

You don't have to have long hair to get married - mine wasn't particularly long...don't think it was even shoulder length!

Want me to cut it at the mooky meet??? I know that's not the end of summer...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Spry Lady Murk wrote:

I think the cultural preference for long hair in ladies is so culturally ingrained that it's automatically gets tied to the image of femininity. People do expect others to want to look their best, so I think a lot of people have a hard time understanding why someone wouldn't want to work toward this "ideal."

My dad flat out refused to let me shave my head when I was fifteen. So my mom and I cut it down to an inch. :D AND I LOVED IT. It made my face look more feminine, in my opinion, and got this cute just-woke-up appearance when I let it get messed up. When I had short hair, people often mistook me for a guy. Then again, I was wearing overlarge T-shirts whenever this happened, my face isn't classically "feminine," and I'm not particularly busty or curvy. I think it was because most people equated short hair + androgynous clothing = male.

Pretty much this ; one might even say it's unconscious sexism/stereotyping. It's another one of those ridiculous conventions,much like boys=blue and girls=pink,whose origins are unclear and illogical. Moth-kin...it's your hair,rend it to your will however you please,because people who judge you on your hair are dumbasses and not worthy of your time.

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

My brother often tells me I have short hair because I am weird and girls with short hair can never be attractive. Total bollocks.

I get a lot of compliments on my hair from my friends, from lovers, from strangers. They range from "I wish I had the confidence to cut my hair off" to "It looks great however it falls and however you wear it" and "Who does your hair, because I need to ask them to do exactly what they did to you". I don't think I'll ever grow my hair out again, this feels very "me", and I think I'm keeping it. :)

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Lush Guru

Date:

I literally get compliments on my hair every day. Short hair is awesome. Long hair is awesome. I don't like the "no-one likes X" things, because there's always going to be someone out there who likes it, even if that is leprosy or something!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

But ladies! Short hair is just so feminine and delicate and pretty. Check this mane of long, flowing locks.

I don't see how anyone can say anything isn't sexy these days when everything can be sexualised. It just depends how you wear it/describe it/whatever. A culture that has made sparkly vampires and even rotting zombiefied corpses into teen crush icons and that can produce 'sexy' versions of pretty much anything can't really pick on any one person's tastes.

I've just cut my hair into a short bob, shorter than I've had it in a long time, and I personally love it. The fact that my parents, friends and male shaped beings in my life like it as well is just a bonus. It takes nowhere near as long to brush, wash, dry ect... taking an hour to fix my hair in the morning just ISN'T sexy. Waking up in the morning, ruffling hair back into shape and being fit for public viewing without fear that someone would guess (or assume) what I'd been up to last night? Hell yeah, I think that's hot.

But, for that matter, why should our hair have to be sexy if that's not what we want do with it? As I said before, it's a bonus that people like my current hairstyle. I wanted it shorter, so that's what I did.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Long hair doesn't look too flattering on me. It sharpens my features and makes me look like a wolf.biggrin   I also don't have the patience to deal with long hair.  And it itches my neck...

I think both are equally attractive, however. 

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Angels+Eyeliner wrote:

But ladies! Short hair is just so feminine and delicate and pretty. Check this mane of long, flowing locks.

Be still my beating heart!

I am now even more excited about cutting my hair short again. Daymnit Thursday, hurry up!

Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor, rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I agree with all of you, short hair is awesome! I don't like having long hair. It gives me headaches and it takes forever to dry. And since I have an oval shaped face, I look better with a short haircut.

''Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.'' George Carlin

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

As a girl with short hair, the number of times I have been told that "short hair isn't sexy" is ridiculous. When I first had it cut (although it wasn't that long to start with), only a couple of friends said it suited me, but I received a lot of compliments from strangers and family friends. My boyfriend, who's only known me with short hair, said he's never been attracted to a girl with short hair before, but when he met me he had to think twice.

I had my hair cut for a similar reason to Candy, bad hair-pulling experiences with men (which also isn't relevant right now), and had it cut from shoulder-length to a sort of pixie cut, and after a few months I decided to have it shaved at the back and sides because I loved it so much.

Now I'm supposed to be growing it, but I have a feeling that when it gets a bit longer I'll realise that it doesn't suit me as much and have it all shaved off again.

A lot of my friends have said to me they'd love to have short hair, but I don't think they ever will, because they're too stuck in the mindset of "short hair isn't sexy."

My neighbour has a really short haircut (it's about an inch long), and she decided she was going to grow her hair out for her wedding, because, you know, you're supposed to have long hair for your wedding. About a week beforehand, when her hair was just above her shoulders, her then-fiancé turned around and said to her, "This hair just isn't you," so on the morning before they got married, she had it all cut off again and hasn't grown it since. :)

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Short hair can be a massive turn-on, for me.

-- Edited by Alligator on Monday 16th of April 2012 03:17:14 PM

"Just because someone doesnt love you the way you want them to doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have." -- Truman Capote

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

That idea that you're supposed to have long hair for your wedding is the reason the only photographs I have of my mother with long hair are her wedding photos. She cut it right off again afterwards because it didn't suit her or her lifestyle. Frankly, if I thought something didn't suit me (obviously you can take a dive on the lifestyle one, because it's only one day) I wouldn't feel comfortable like it and when I look back at my hypothetical wedding pictures I don't want to regret the fact that my hair wasn't right.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

The idea that short hair isn't sexy is so general it completely baffles me. Some people look absolutely fantastic with short hair. Some look absolutely fantastic with short hair. Different lengths of hair look better in different colours. Different lengths of hair look better with different face shapes. It can depend on your weight, how you dress, whatever. There's so many variable that affect how your hair looks that you can't just say all short hair is unsexy, it's ridiculous.

Although I'm growing my hair out right now, I think short hair really suited me and I liked how convienient it was, it never got in my way, whereas now at work, when I'm writing essay etc, I find I'm always pushing it and pinning it out of the way...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Generally speaking, I like short hair on girls and long hair on menfolk. Take that, patriarchy!

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

skgogosfan wrote:

It's another one of those ridiculous conventions,much like boys=blue and girls=pink,whose origins are unclear and illogical.

Dave.

I remember seeing somewhere (it might have been QI...) that originally pink was associated with boys and blue with girls because pink was considered a strong colour and blue a weaker one. But back to the subject, I think short hair looks awesome on girls (Catherine Zeta Jones in Chicago, anyone? Emma Watson? Twiggy? Rihanna?) and long hair is really attractive on guys (although, actually, why is it that for guys, long hair is anywhere like shoulder length and below but for girls it's closer to waist length?)

-- Edited by Celtic Mysteria on Monday 16th of April 2012 06:13:06 PM

Lush Guru

Date:

I've never had anyone tell me short hair isn't sexy to my face. Maybe I'm too much of a badass.

Also this whole wedding thing...surely you're meant to look like YOU on your wedding day. If you normally have short hair, then why would you make it long just for the wedding (or vice versa?) I just can't understand it.

If I was engaged, I would think about growing out my sides for marriage but that's because
a) I'm thinking about it anyway.
b) A 'normal' hairstyle is a bit more classic so the wedding photies wouldn't look dated.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I bloody love my short hair!I had hair down to my bum for years but as soon as I hit 13 I had it shoulder length (teenage "rebellion" as such) and it's got shorter & shorter. I wouldn't shave my head because I've got a dent in the back of it. Bollocks to that statement, how hot was Angelina Jolie with a shaved head!?

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Spiggy wrote:

Generally speaking, I like short hair on girls and long hair on menfolk. Take that, patriarchy!

Which reminds me,long hair on guys is totally acceptable and even expected if they're in a metal band. The only problem with short hair is that you can't mosh properly with it lol. (Which is why I wanted to be Kirk Hammett as a kid. Now it's more Jack White or Matt Bellamy...but that's just because I want to sing like them too!)

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Celtic Mysteria wrote:
But back to the subject, I think short hair looks awesome on girls (Catherine Zeta Jones in Chicago, anyone? Emma Watson? Twiggy? Rihanna?)

I agree, Catherine Zeta Jones in Chicago looks amazing! I would add some names to your list: Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction, Milla Jovovich in the first Resident Evil's movie, Katherine Moennig in the L World...

''Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.'' George Carlin

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Short hair is so beautiful. The lack of dangling whispy distraction is responsible for creating the illusion of BIG BIG eyes. Short hair is beautiful because its less hassle. It reflects a womans practical down-to-earth nature. I could write a long in-depth list of people, but it's not needed.

^Agree with above comments.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

When I first went natural I chopped off most of my hair. I only had an inch and a half of hair left and I got nasty looks, negative comments, and people pointing at me all of the time. When it grew around chin lenght people back the hell off. I did like having short hair although it didn't fit me, I have a small face so really short hair doesn't suit me so well.

I like all hair lengths including short and even bald hair. Variety is a great thing and I do agree many people think long hair= feminine. I've heard it said so many times its tiring but that's what we're taught.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

another one to add to sexy ladies with short hair list- natalie portman when she shaved her head an cate blanchett when she shaved hers two totally different looking ladies both sexy as hell!

ive had my head shaved down to about a number 3 an now im rocking waist length big hair and ive had all styles inbetween including skinny braids an bubble curls an ive felt sexy an ugly with all! i belive you need to feel good in yourself an fuck what other people think!

'keep the beast in my nature under seaseless attack'

1 2 3 4  >  Last»  | Page of 4  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us