Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: What books did you like as a child?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
RE: What books did you like as a child?

I liked anything I could get my hands on practically. There's wayyyyyy to many for me to list.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I used to adore these books about a cat called Varjak Paw by S F Said which had the most beautiful, Gothic illustrations and page layouts. They're so lovely, creepy and raw, very peculiar books for children. I'm not surprised they've stayed fairly low profile.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I always loved Roald Dahl, hes always a classic when it comes to childrens books. Narnia also. But as a very young child, I loved two story books in particular, "Mimi and her dream house" which is about a mouse-girl who want a nice house, and goes to extremes to get it. I think my love for the book was due to the fact that the mouse-girl had the same name as me, and that was my first encounter with anyone (real or made up) with the name Mimi. Also "Tell me something happy before I go to sleep" Which, like "Mimi..." has animal charachters instead of humans, two hares, or maybe they were rabbits, who try and get to sleep but becayse they are restless baby hares, they can't and need to be told something happy before they go to sleep. :)

Honoured Mook

Date:

Paddington bear, cat in the hat, famous five, secret seven, stig of the dump and snoopy books.

The night

Hath been to me a more familiar face

Than that of man; and in her starry shade

Of dim and solitary loveliness 

I learned the language of another world.

Regular Crew

Date:

pretty much anything i could get hold of, i was an avid reader as a child. But definitely harry potter. My dad got me the first book when I was 5 or 6 and i haven't stopped reading since. (Not literally guys, I would be walking into walls and falling down stairs. ;) sillies.)

Roald Dahl a loooooot, alice in wonderland, winnie the pooh. and i probably read most of the books in the school library, but Biff and Chip surely owned everyones reading lessons as a child. Also, I remember Ben, from reading level 1-4. That kid clearly had no parents as he did more exciting things than I do now.

-- Edited by The Misery Chick on Sunday 12th of June 2011 09:59:42 PM

-- Edited by The Misery Chick on Sunday 12th of June 2011 10:07:33 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I loved- heck, still love -Roald Dahl too. I think The Witches was my personal favourite, but I loved his adult short stories too. I was probably too young for them really. I had a copy of 'The Best of Roald Dahl', and one of the story's was about this eccentric, womanizing Uncle character who visited this rich man in Libya and started lusting after his wife and daughter. During the night, a woman entered his room and made love to him in the dark, but she wouldn't let him light a match to see whether it was the wife or the daughter. During the heights of passion he bit her neck, thinking it would be a crafty way of telling which if them it was, but when he went downstairs the next morning they were both wearing scarfs. There's an utterly shocking twist in the end which I won't spill, but it was probably not right for a twelve year old to be reading- at least, not one like I was, who used to giggle at the sight of the word 'sex' written on the wall in the school playground :D

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I know it's not a story book but I used to have The Flower Fairies of Autumn when I were little and I loved it, that book gave me an obsession with fairies.

Regular Crew

Date:

When I was little, my favorite book ever was caled Tacky the Penguin. It was about a penguin who wore a hawaiian shirt and led his fellow penguins to victory in a cheerleading competition.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I can't believe I forgot to mention The Unfortunate Series of Events! I've only just realized, like an idiot, that it's a massive parody, or at least a homage, of Edgar Allen Poe's work. Should've been obvious really, considering Mr. Poe's kids are called Edgar and Allen :D Sunny was always my favourite character; I loved the fact all of her 'nonsense' words were usually connected to the situation in some obscure way!

Regular Crew

Date:

^ I was wondering about Mr.Poe's kids! I only ever read the first book, its cool, but it seems to be a parody of itself. Its annoying how he keeps saying not to read the book, that its a bad book. Reverse physiology, maybe?

I still love Ramona Quimby. She's so badass.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I think it's sort of satirical- it's mocking how seriously Victorian era misery books took themselves, whilst encouraging people to, as you said, go down the reverse psychology route and say 'nope, I'm gonna go against this and storm on ahead!' I love that although they're so grim, they're also subtly ridiculous in so many ways. The noodles being used as whips, for example, or the fact the mill workers were paid in coupons. I need to re-read them; they're just brilliant. I think as a kid I missed a lot of stuff too- I took a lot of it rather too literally and only got the underlying meanings in hindsight :D

Regular Crew

Date:

Let's see...I think my favorites were: Paddington Bear (I loved marmalade just like him), Alice in Wonderland, The Little Lame Prince, and the Princess and the Goblin. I was a very odd child; I often liked reading the original, grimmer, versions of fairytales.

Regular Crew

Date:

I loved 'The Castle of inside out' mental kids book :)
also, i remember and correct me if im wrong, Biff(girl with long hair?), Chip, Kipper(blonde bob hair boy) and floppy and wilma, BAM.

I want every girl in the world to pick up a guitar and start screaming- Courtney Love

Feel free:
https://www.facebook.com/jasmine.edwards.167

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ Aha, The Magic Key! I remember reading those at school and being bewildered by them somewhat. It was all like '"Who did this?" said Mum. "It was Chip," said Biff.' Very little seemed to happen apart from the *cough* exciting dialogue, but I remember quite liking them all the same.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I loved all the books of Enid Blyton LOL.Also Jim Benton's Dear Dumb Diary.

doctor__i_puke_rainbowz_c__by_supremesonrio-d3fsuxe_zps4e836e85.gif

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Have I mentioned my childhood love for Babette Cole's (sp?) books on here? Seriouslly, I had so many. My favourite was called Supermoo, about a superhero cow and her sidecick Calf Crypton. It was the beszt thing. Me and my dad used to read it every night for years - we both still know the whole thing pretty much completely by heart.

I was also a big fan of Michelle Paver's 'Chronicles of Ancient Drakness', despite the crap name. They were pretty good. And Eoin Colfer. And Tig and Tag the sheep - whoever wrote those books. They were good. Oh, and Tamora Pierce! They were my ultimate comfort books. Though I read so much I can't really remember the names of many othere :/

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I loved Babette Cole's Princess Smartypants! Also Pierce -- did you ever read her Protector of the Small quartet? My favourite of hers but I'm biased -- I was named for the main character.

Had to come by this thread, because I just found a bunch of my old kid's books.

There was this one I loved called Mr Pam Pam, which I thought was this story about some kid's uncle who tells lots of silly stories to make them laugh.

It is actually about an interracial gay couple who frighten children on the street. What.

A tumblr...

Resident Lord of the Cranberries

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Even more than I loved Mr. Wolf's Pancakes did I love The Philharmonic Gets Dressed. It's a lovely book with charming illustrations about an orchestra getting dressed on the night of a performance.

I liked The Famous Five but I didn't especially enjoy anything else by Enid Blyton. Swallows and Amazons is the only other book I can definitely remember reading as a child, because my memories of childhood are somewhat hazy, and I suppose it depends on how you define child (I'm thinking under ten, but all the books I've listed here I read when I was under six, so...).

Baby Mook

Date:

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum.
I liked it so much. I gues, I've read it three times.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us