Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Random thought of the day

Honoured Mook

Date:
Random thought of the day

-- Edited by Eisbaer on Friday 5th of April 2013 05:01:56 PM

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, this strategy works much better for kids who struggle at school, than those who breeze through. Which makes sense really.
We are required to give two pieces of positive feedback and a target on each piece of work we mark, which is great, but when you've given positive feedback and a constructive target alongside a really low mark, all the kid is going to see is the low mark, and they are going to think your positive feedback is bullshit (which unfortunately, sometimes it is...)

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I think ability-based sets are best. Back in primary school, I'd get very frustrated with slow classmates, especially when we had to work in groups. In return, they hated me because I was top of the class and they called me a nerd. I didn't get that sort of treatment in the top set. Top set English was boring but top set Maths was very challenging and I really enjoyed it. I wish there was lower set PE, it would've done me a world of good not being surrounded by extremely flexible sporty kids.

The school system here is a bit weird, we get feedback and no grade in the first three years of school, then it's just grades ranging from 1 to 5 (2 is a pass, 5 is excellent) and no feedback. I think grades only at an early age can be a bit frustrating but I never had any problems. Then again, I was a very good student and had an average grade of 5 so I can't say how other students felt.

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^^ Agreed. Working to the lowest common denominator is so unfair on any reasonably bright kids that they tend to become disruptive. Work any higher than that though and you lose the slowest kids, who still deserve attention and an education And of course, average children do badly in both of those set-ups. Three sets would be ideal, if only more schools would implement it. At my school we didn't have grades, we had the class divided into thirds and then into halves, so on your report it would say something like top middle, so you know where you stood amongst your peers.

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I found it easier to be in ability groups, too - I hated school but was a very academic pupil because my attitude was, "I hate this building and everyone within it, but I'm not going to lose out on my education because I don't like you and I might as well get on with it". Not the most positive mentality, but the best I was getting in my education before sixth form college.

It was far better to be in a class that worked at the same speed as I did and understood the study material to the same degree, but it did have a huge drawback; due to my very low confidence levels I was always reluctant to admit that I didn't understand, or even to ask a question, for fear of being seen as stupid by the other students. I was always in the highest sets (the school called us the MATS group - "more able and talented students") and felt that I was the least academically able and least talented in every class. Leaving school with the GCSE grades I did (7 A*, 5 A, 1 B) should have been enough evidence for me to believe that I wasn't "thick"...but due again to my low confidence, I actually cried constantly on the 40 minute walk home from school.

A similar problem arose in my non-ability-grouped classes; I had a reputation in the school as being very clever (far more intelligent than I feel I really am) and a part of me always felt that I must live up to the expectations. I assumed that I had to understand immediately and ended up creating far more work for myself - I could have asked the teacher for another explanation, but instead I would go home upset and read everything I could find until I understood completely. It was a vicious cycle: If I didn't understand something complicated, I would be upset and would stay quiet so that no one knew, then I'd go home and research until I understood it...and then, of course, it was assumed that I had understood the more complex elements of the material, so my tutoring continued at a standard that was a little more "over my head" than it had to be.

I do think that there are subjects that should be split into ability sets - maths, sciences, and languages - but I think others should remain mixed ability, as the "all-rounder" students (the kind I turned out to be) would end up a little isolated from other students. Perhaps its not the same in every school, but if every subject had been in ability sets I'd have seen most of my class every lesson.

I also think that the ability grouping of every class has the potential to produce students with a reduced ability to explain things to those who do not understand, which I think is a really important skill. Working together in an academic setting is very important, and you don't gain as many different perspectives on the study material when you can only communicate your thoughts with your own ability group. For example, a guy with whom I studied A-level chemistry struggled to get a lab partner because he was so intelligent that no one could quite keep up with him and he couldn't explain his thoughts on a "dumbed-down" level despite his patient attempts and general loveliness, but I worked with a lady whose grades were not as high as mine and learned a lot from her.

I don't know how much has changed since I left secondary school ten years ago, but I hope that there are now more teachers who walk around the class and speak to the students as they work. The tutors who understood my academic needs best were the ones who actually took the time to walk by my desk and see how I was getting on. Some of them realised that I might ask about something I didn't understand if I didn't have to ask in front of the class. One tutor actually asked me to stay after class a couple of times, because he could see when I was a bit lost with the work, and that was really helpful. To other students, it looked like I'd done something wrong...strangely, I preferred being seen as "bad" to being seen as "thick" (possibly because I was up to no good a lot of the time anyway?).

I hope that teachers have realised that there are students of all abilities who don't have the confidence to ask questions, and that this impacts greatly upon their learning potential, but I'm not really sure how they would discover this problem since the students affected do not have the confidence to mention it :P.

xxx Eve

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Ampersand wrote:

I agree. I think that basically it benefits you if you are bright and eager, but it can be detrimental if you are struggling or disinterested.

Another interesting study showed that giving a grade but no target/feedback meant that children's performance was WORSE on their next piece of work. Giving a grade and a target/feedback meant there was NO CHANGE, and giving simply written targets and feedback meant that the child's work IMPROVED!
What say you?

I've always hated not being given a grade. My GCSE English teacher used to do that on our coursework drafts, she'd mark them and write a comment/ suggest improvements, without giving us a grade. I found that so unhelpful, as it didn't tell me how far off the grade I wanted I was. So when it came to writing my final version, I didn't know how much more I needed to do, to get a grade I considered satisfactory.

But I suppose it could be benefitial to students working at a lower level, (as you said) especially on work that didn't directly contribute to qualifications.

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Here's something that occured to me today: if people stopped breeding dogs, and all the breeds of dog started breeding with each other again, would they all turn back into wolves?

Google yields no answers.

Tumblr

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I often wonder if everyone has the same "ha, what if..." thoughts that I do...like, when my imagination wanders off a bit. A recent one of mine occurred when I was hanging laundry on an airer by the radiator:

What if laundry airers/clothes horses were like Buckaroo? What if your clothes had to be hung really carefully and exactly right to prevent the airer bucking and kicking and throwing all of your clean and soggy laundry everywhere?

xxx Eve

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

What do animals think of us? I just imagine all the chimps at the zoo occasionally glancing at the punters and saying to each other, 'look at that bunch of gormless prats, that one's dropped his ice cream. Quick, Frank, throw that bit of sacking around. We're obviously fascinating, might as well prove it eh?'

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

orangensaft wrote:

Here's something that occured to me today: if people stopped breeding dogs, and all the breeds of dog started breeding with each other again, would they all turn back into wolves?

Google yields no answers.

But google knows everything!

I suspect the answer would be that "show" breeds with no useful ability would eventually be bred out,and the remaining breeds would consolidate into a few mongrel breeds adapted for different environments. I doubt most would revert to wolves,but some with the most wolf-ish tendencies may interbreed with wolves,such as huskies. Left to their own devices,a lot of dogs would die off because they're too dependent on domestication to keep them. I'm assuming you're imagining a scenario where people have disappeared.

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

^A scenario in which all humans have disappeared and wilderness taking over is my top scenario ever.
Lady Misery wrote:

What do animals think of us? I just imagine all the chimps at the zoo occasionally glancing at the punters and saying to each other, 'look at that bunch of gormless prats, that one's dropped his ice cream. Quick, Frank, throw that bit of sacking around. We're obviously fascinating, might as well prove it eh?'

I think that animals think in images, emotions, smells and such things not in words. For example do I believe that a dog's head is crammed with lots of interesting thought processes about how you smell -and we'll never be able to fully grasp what it is like because we simply don't have the senses needed for that.

Sometimes I get odd image-thoughts and emotion-thoughts in my head when being with animals (particularly one of the dogs and the horse) but I assume that's only me reading their body language and then imagining some stuff.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Honoured Mook

Date:

Zero gravity and sexy times.......hmmmm.

The night

Hath been to me a more familiar face

Than that of man; and in her starry shade

Of dim and solitary loveliness 

I learned the language of another world.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^The ending of "Moonraker" was a classic example.

Irilar wrote:

^A scenario in which all humans have disappeared and wilderness taking over is my top scenario ever.

Have you seen "Wolves of Chernobyl"? It's about nature returning to the evacuated zone around said reactor after all the people were evacuated ; probably the nearest we'll get to that scenario IRL,but there seems to be a whole series about the topic on YT-search for "life after people" on there.

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I read about it some time ago, but I hadn't thought of looking up documentaries about it. My boring day in bed with sore throat is now saved. Thanks Dave!

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

No probs...you'll pass a full day watching all of them. I intended to watch one for 10 mins and ended up watching 3 full episodes!

Dave.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Honoured Mook

Date:

skgogosfan wrote:

^The ending of "Moonraker" was a classic example.
Oh yes although I never made it to the ending as Roger usually made me doze off.....oo I just remembered the opening credits for Barbarella.

The night

Hath been to me a more familiar face

Than that of man; and in her starry shade

Of dim and solitary loveliness 

I learned the language of another world.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I reckon the end of the world thing might be metaphorical; say a collapse in society, politics, something colossal but not as literal as the apocalypse. The world as we currently perceive it may be altered, changed, ended, in ways that we won't even notice.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

My thought of the day is a bit silly, but I was just wondering why do people leave mooky?

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Lush Guru

Date:

^^People who announce their leaving have various reasons, flouncing or otherwise but I think most people just get busier in their real life, or they drift away. I know I've had periods where I don't check it every day because it seems less relevant to me at that moment. I think I'm lucky because I've always come back but there are forums that I have not gone back to.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Sometimes people get worried about real life folks coming on and finding out about their personal lives too, which is why I never mention this site to anyone except my the term 'my forum'. But even if someone I knew did join I wouldn't leave; I've been here for so many years it's become a major part of my life and it'd be really upsetting to leave as I have very good friends here who've been for me at the wost of times.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I can totally get why people leave because they're busy. Life has a knack of getting in the way of things doesn't it? :p I also notice people drifting away and people leaving perhaps because their anonymity is threatened. I suppose what I really don't get is people who leave in a strop, or people who announce dramatically that they're leaving and NEVER coming back. I sound a bit judgemental here- everybody has their reasons for leaving which I am sure are all perfectly valid, I just can't get my head around it sometimes.

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Lush Guru

Date:

I've never really understood that either to be honest. If you really feel the need to leave, why bother announcing it?

Then again these people are the same ones that go around posting things for attention anyway (or at least thinking about flouncers of recent times that's what I think).

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Oh uterus updates, how I miss thee. Not. Sometimes, I think, everyone is a little relieved when these people choose to flounce because they've often been antagonistic or highly irritating during their presence. It's very unlikely to be anybody who joins in on discussions or participates actively inn the forum; like Alka said they're usually attention seeks who like to kick up a fuss and upset people as much as possible before they slam the doors on the Mooky Mansion.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I haven't left! I just have too much to do and probably won't be on much until I graduate! :P
My random thought of the day is that I wish I could grow a beard. I would use it to hide my double chin and my boyfriend and I would match.

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

angelvixen wrote:

Oh yes although I never made it to the ending as Roger usually made me doze off.....oo I just remembered the opening credits for Barbarella.

And pretty much all of the rest of it lol.

weetabexx wrote:

My thought of the day is a bit silly, but I was just wondering why do people leave mooky?

I've wondered that too ; not just here but on other forums,mainly regarding people who have made a lot of posts. Like Alka said,they probably just have too much going on in RL,but to name a couple,Frank and her wonderful hair,and clockbox and her wonderfully eloquent posts. I could trot out a dozen more going through the members list. Mind you,I still read a few forums that I haven't posted on in months...it takes far less time to read than to write a reply,and I'm a lazy sort.

Dave.

Honoured Mook

Date:

An utterly ridiculous thought, but it's been really bugging me! You know the Teletubbies? And you know they have their own little things? Like, Tinky Winky has a handbag, Dipsy has a top hat, and Po has a scooter, what the bloody hell does LaLa have!

I can't for the life of me think!

-- Edited by Purple Rosebud on Monday 12th of March 2012 03:28:01 PM

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

My blog

My Tumblr 

My Twitter

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

A police record for attempted robbery. Hur hur hur. ;)

Dave.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

It was that massive orange rubber ball. She didn't get it out that often as it wasn't as portable as the other objects, so maybe that's why you don't remember it :)

Honoured Mook

Date:

Oooooh yeah! Now I remember! Weird though...How I think of these things is beyond me...

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

My blog

My Tumblr 

My Twitter

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've always wondered why Dipsy is the only one who feels he has to wear clothing, albeit just a top hat. And what powers their TV tummies? When they get bored at night do they switch themselves on and watch films? OH MY GOD, there are so many questions!

«First  <  1 2 3 4 514  >  Last»  | Page of 14  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us