Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Gig Club / Gig buddies

Seasoned Mookster

Date:
Gig Club / Gig buddies

I asked Magda if it was ok to put this up, she had no problem with it so here goes, likewise if the mods want to move it somewhere else or edit it that's fine.

Have you ever missed decent gigs because either your friends bailed or they don't like similar music so wouldn't go anyway?

Have only been to a gig once on my own and didn't like it, likewise going with someone who knows someone vaguely you know, that's equally awkward.

So wondered if we could form a sort of mooky gig club where you could find people in a similar area to you, who are looking for gig buddies, possibility might have more chance of finding somebody with similar music taste or just somebody who loves music and is open minded to go to different sort of gigs.

Only thing that needs to be sussed out is the safety element and how to keep it to genuine people who are looking only for a gig buddy nothing else. If you have any suggestion I would appreciate it, thanks.

-- Edited by Gypsy Rose Tea on Saturday 7th of January 2012 11:09:54 AM

Mookface (mod)

Date:

I think this is a good plan! A number of Mooks already meet up and go to gigs together, but it's good to have a thread where people can post "oh hai guyz come to this with me". We're sensible people here, so I assume everyone will go by general meet-up guidelines - don't post asking to meet unless you're established/have people on facebook/know other Mooks/have an online presence that assures people that you're safe and real, etc. You know the drill.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Capulett and I went to MCR in Edinburgh together...she turned out to be a total axe-wielding weirdo :P HHHAHAHAHAH!!!

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Thanks for replies, yeah need to like you say find a way to know whether people who are interested are legit.

Spikeyfaerie wrote:

Capulett and I went to MCR in Edinburgh together...she turned out to be a total axe-wielding weirdo :P HHHAHAHAHAH!!!

Axe of the sharp pointy wood cutting kind or guitar kind? ;)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I didn't even think about axe = guitar when I wrote that! lol!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

This is a brilliant idea!!! I'm going to see Rammstein at the London O2 on Feb 24th, are any other mooks going too?

EDIT: Re-reading Antonym's post, I don't actually have a facebook account to reassure people I'm not in fact a creepy old man, but as I'll be going to the gig with my little brother I'm not going to be asking anyone to go with me as such. This is more of a 'give me a wave if you see me' kind of thing.

-- Edited by Moth-kin on Sunday 8th of January 2012 12:30:53 PM

Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor, rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

This is a good idea! My friends don't really seem to be into gigs!

Although I'd probably go on my own anyway if I couldn't find anyone. But still, this is probably a better idea!

Tumblr

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Good idea!

There's a gig I really want to go to next week but I doubt there are any Mooks near me at the moment. );

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

This is a brilliant Idea!

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Like moth-kin said need to work out a way for people who are real deal but don't have any social networks (myself included) to prove who they are. So what's the best suggestion for that?

Also maybe if people who are interested list what sort of gigs you are interested in, sort of music that is not your cup of tea, location wise where you would go to gigs.

For example I like reggae, old punk, hard rock, soul, motown, funk, classic rock, some goth rock, rockabilly, or music that is a bit different, etc so happy to attend gigs of that sort. Don't really like emo or country music, so that's not really my thing.

Happy to attend gigs in Leeds, Bradford, Wakefield area but if somebody decent is playing or a one off York or Sheffield might be possible.

Looking forward to a couple of 70's punk bands playing Leeds & Wakefield this March like Stranglers, Anti-Nowhere League, etc.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I'm interested in this! I can PM my facebook/twitter profile to people for reassurance. I like rock/indie/alternative etc especially female fronted bands! The next gigs I'm going to which are with others but if anyone wants to meet say hi- are Wild Flag on the 1st Feb at the electric ballroom london, black veil brides 30th march at brixton academy and possibly the subways 10th may also in london

Check out my show:

http://www.mixcloud.com/PigtailsAndArmyBoots

and my blog

http://djmoonlightmusic.blogspot.com

Mookface (mod)

Date:

Moth-kin wrote:

This is a brilliant idea!!! I'm going to see Rammstein at the London O2 on Feb 24th, are any other mooks going too?

EDIT: Re-reading Antonym's post, I don't actually have a facebook account to reassure people I'm not in fact a creepy old man, but as I'll be going to the gig with my little brother I'm not going to be asking anyone to go with me as such. This is more of a 'give me a wave if you see me' kind of thing.

-- Edited by Moth-kin on Sunday 8th of January 2012 12:30:53 PM

Ah Moth, we know you're real, you're a regular! A facebook presence isn't totally necessary, it's more just 'use your judgement' sort of thing - I'm sure most people here have met up with internet folk before, you all know how to do it safely :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

This is an incredible idea! For years I've been looking for something like this. I have nothing planned at the moment, but given my friends' hit and miss taste in music, I'll definitely be back at some point :)

Harlan :-)

("they" pronouns please, mookyfolk)

Honoured Mook

Date:

-- Edited by Eisbaer on Thursday 18th of April 2013 10:24:01 PM

Regular Crew

Date:

Anyone going to see Rammstein in Birmingham this saturday? My first Rammstein gig, can't wait! Just a little nervous about being killed by overzealous mosh pit people. :P

http://tallshipssailing.tumblr.com/

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

^ I'm seeing them in London tonight!

Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor, rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief.

Regular Crew

Date:

I'm so excited! Any idea where is the best place to stand to not get crushed/involved in mosh pits?

Honoured Mook

Date:

I am so envious of you Rammstein folks :( I was going to see them in Manchester with my best friends, but that went tits up :/ Have fun though :)

Regular Crew

Date:

Ok, Rammstein were awesome. In fact, awesome doesn't quite cover it...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Eisbaer wrote:

Also, is anyone thinking of going to the Rebellion Festival in Blackpool, August? I really want to go, but I'm not so sure I can persuade my friends/enough friends (only two of them even remotely have my taste in music) :/

Having a look over the line up I have to say I haven't heard of (almost any) the bands playing apart from The Creepshow and Sarah Blackwood (who is from The Creepshow... *sigh*). So I'll have to ask, are any of the acts there similar?

Lush Guru

Date:

I'd love to go to Rebellion but I think I want to go to Boomtown more and I can't afford both. I can't actually afford one, but that's by the by.

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

So mookies, Regina Spektor is doing a gig at the Royal Albert Hall (London) on the 2nd of July. Tickets go on sale Friday morning and I am totally going in for that. Is anyone else? At present I have no one to go with.

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Bit of a thread revival but does anyone want to see Marina and the Diamonds in Sheffield? It's on Saturday 30th of June and tickets are £17.50.

Tumblr

Honoured Mook

Date:

Is anyone going to Clit Rock tomorrow at the Lexington in London? details here-https://www.facebook.com/events/307711645966488/
and would anyone be interested in seeing Gaptooth with me- I can get you on the cheap £5 entry list-https://www.facebook.com/events/347044215362471/
?

Check out my show:

http://www.mixcloud.com/PigtailsAndArmyBoots

and my blog

http://djmoonlightmusic.blogspot.com

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

orangensaft wrote:

Bit of a thread revival but does anyone want to see Marina and the Diamonds in Sheffield? It's on Saturday 30th of June and tickets are £17.50.

Oh my goodness I saw this and was instantly sad that my friends aren't really fans of her stuff, please tell me you're still looking for somebody??

Edit: Ah, I need to know when doors open mind... I'm doing something during the day.

-- Edited by Redshoes on Monday 28th of May 2012 09:46:21 PM

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Redshoes wrote:
orangensaft wrote:

Oh my goodness I saw this and was instantly sad that my friends aren't really fans of her stuff, please tell me you're still looking for somebody??

Edit: Ah, I need to know when doors open mind... I'm doing something during the day.

-- Edited by Redshoes on Monday 28th of May 2012 09:46:21 PM

Yep still have no one!

Just checked on the website and doors open at 7.30pm, she probably wouldn't come on till about 9ish though I'd imagine.

Just let me know I guess. (:

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Ok, well I'll keep you updated! :D

Lush Guru

Date:

Just a heads up for the Irish Mooks, my lovely boyfriend's very good band played in Dublin last night, are playing Belfast today (29th) at the Warzone centre (?) and are playing in Antrim at the Storehouse tomorrow. I probably should've mentioned it sooner, but I forgot.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Hey, who's going to Amanda Palmer and the Grand Theft Orchestra in Manchester (October 24th I think)? Already have a ticket and I know its sold out now, so just wondering?

a troubled cure for a troubled mind...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I am!!! We will see each other, ooh!

Tumblr

1 2  >  Last»  | Page of 2  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us