Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Camp America

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
Camp America

Has anyone heard of this/ done it? It's a summer placement scheme where you go to one of those summer camp things in America and basically become a staff member for three months.†

They pay for your flight and accomodation, but you have to pay about £600 in fees, medical insurance and visa. You also have to go to London to get your visa, which means travel expenses.†

I just wondered if it was worth it. It's a lot cheaper than some "volunteering" scemes that I've come across, where you don't seem to be volunteering at all but paying out of your own pocket to work in a different country.†With this sceme you get $600 at the end of it, but that doesn't quite cover what you have to pay out.†

The money isn't that much of a problem, but I don't want to have wasted my time. I guess I'm just reluctant because it's unfamiliar. Any advice? I've been mulling it over for a few weeks, but can't quite take the plunge and apply.†

-- Edited by red spirit moon on Monday 2nd of January 2012 10:07:12 PM

I'd choose freedom over safety because I'd rather die standing than live on my knees.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

One of my friends applied for this scheme. He said it sounded really good, but I don't know if that quite answers your question.

If it's something you want to do, then I'd say why not go for it?

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Maybe have a dig around on the internet for similar schemes which don't require you to pay. them to work for them? I don't have a clue what a visa and medical insurance would cost, but £600 sounds like an awful lot of money for what they're providing.

Tumblr

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I found an alternate company called BUNAC which does the same thing, but it costs less and pays more. I took the plunge and started filling out the application today. My relationship has gone down the pan so I see no reason to stay here and be miserable all summer. I've decided to do something for myself for once.

I'd choose freedom over safety because I'd rather die standing than live on my knees.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I didn't get the placement, but now I've thought it over more I don't think it would have suited me anyway, there was a lot of looking after kids involved.

Might just go on holiday somewhere instead!

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Well there's always Camp Flatstrand, where you can weed the vegetables in exchange for food, board and gin :D

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookface (mod)

Date:

I know this is off topic, but whenever I see this thread title come up I get a mental image of a military guy in American flag hotpants going "Ooooh!".

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Haha! I always imagine something similar, there must be some pop cultural link here?

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Honoured Mook

Date:

My friend did Camp America last year and she loved it!

She even met her current girlfriend there :)

My other friend is going this year, and she can't wait!

if you like working with kids, you will probably find this really rewarding!

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us