Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Trip planning

Regular Crew

Date:
Trip planning

A friend and I want to go to France/Germany. I've been before (thanks to school) but she has never been. It would be the first no chaperone trip I've done. I have no fucking clue how to start! 

(Gets on knees) Help me please, tips, towns, anything. 

Mondays child is fair of face,
Tuesdays child is full of grace,
Wednesdays child is full of woe,
Thursdays child has far to go,
Fridays child is loving and giving,
Saturdays child works hard for his living,
And the child that is born on the Sabbath day
Is bonny and blithe, and good and gay.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

1 - know your budget. There's no point in looking up anything until you know roughly how much you'll have to spend.

2 - compare! Find out the price for different airlines and accommodation, different days, even different times on the same day...it all makes a difference. Use sites like hostels.com, hotels.com, trevago etc etc etc. When you find a price go to the actual website (on those "hidden" sites you can still usually work out fairly accurately which hotel they are talking about) and see if you're really getting a bargain or if you'd be better going through the hotel and maybe you'll get breakfast included or a better room for only a few pounds more.

3 - know what you'll be wanting to do. If you like historical buildings and the like you won't want to be somewhere that's a brand new modern city and vice versa you don't want to be stuck in a sleepy historical village if you're wanting lots of nightlife.

4 - make sure your passport is valid and will be valid the whole time you'll be away.

In Germany I've been to Cologne/Koln (I don't have the two dots for above the o) and it's awesome. You're right on the Rhine, it's not too expensive, brillliantly hot summer, massive cathedral, lots of beer (local beer is Kolsch and if you don't specify a drink they'll assume that's what you're wanting in restaurants and bars), bit of history (very heavily bombed during WWII so not much in the way of actual buildings left but a little bit), friendly locals and easy to walk around. Have walked around by myself at night and felt very safe.

I saw a little bit of Berlin; expensive but obviously a ton of history.

I don't know much about France, never been.

Regular Crew

Date:

Spikeyfaerie is wise.

I'm going to Germany next week and following the "romantic road". It's very popular and well worth a look.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I'm from Germany and travelled a bit, so if you have questions to certain towns - you're welcome to ask! :)
The English book "1,000 places to see before you die" offers some towns in Bavaria (that's very southern), ie Regensburg. Some in the north like Cologne (Köln ;) - I've got the dots, yeah!), Berlin, Hamburg and for example Sylt. I don't know when you want to go on a trip, but I wouldn't visit Sylt in winter. It's very cold.
I myself have seen Regensburg and I would recommend it, but I guess it'll get expensive because the trip would be longer. I live in northrhine westphalia, so I have seen Cologne very often.

If you go in March and love visual key then go and see Düsseldorf, because then there is "Japantag" (a mass of visual key and anime freaks :) very nice). Otherwise go there, too, and see the Japanese Quarter.

Another trip worthy city would be Münster. They have historical buildings, that's nice. For example there is a gothic town-hall and if you pay for a guide you will be well-informed about the history of this city, which is very eventful. :)
Or go and see Osnabrück (I like the city, have a look on photos via google).
Minden is a trip worth, if you like history. They have historical buildings of different eras.

In Detmold you can visit an open-air museum (Freilichtmuseum Detmold) with lots of farmer's life stuff of the "old days", haha. It can be great, but you have to walk a bit. Altough I went there five or six times I never went there in winter. Be sure to pack warm clothes.

Did I mention Lemgo yet? Lemgo is great. There is a great museum of instrument's of torture (middle ages, witches...). Also there a great renaissence civil works typical for cities near the Weser.

Hameln is wonderful, too. On the floor there are rat-signs because of the story of Hameln's ratter (Check up "Der Rattenfänger von Hameln"). That's nice. They also have bread that looks like rats.

Hope that helped a bit.
I've seen parts of Bavaria and northrhine westphalia, also the islands Wangerooge and Spiekeroog. Remember: you're welcome to ask.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Oh is Hameln where the Pied Piper of Hamelin is set then!? I didn't know that was an actual place and in Germany! lol!

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Yes, it is ;)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Awesome, I feel slightly ashamed that I didn't know Hameln was an actual place...but I'd never been told that it was and I assumed that since it was a folk tale it was just a made-up name :-/ But now, I really want to go!

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

You don't need to feel ashamed. How should you know? Here you can find a 360° virtual trip trough Hameln, if you want to.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I don't really like France that much personally, but you probably should go to Paris. You should definitely go to Berlin though, I want to live there! Köln is nice too from what I remember.

Hostelz.com is a really good website for chosing hostels as it pulls in data from all the other sites and shows you where you can book for free. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Hostelworld.com lets the owners of the hostels remove bad reviews so I'd avoid that site.

Have fun on your trip!

Tumblr

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us