Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: St. John's Wort?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
St. John's Wort?

Hello lovely folk.

As almost none of you know, because I've not been active on the forum at all lately, I think I'm lapsing back into depression and I'm having a bit of a life crisis. As somewhat more of you know, my treatment options are limited- my body dislikes anti-depressants intensely, either making me instantly very very ill, or slowly building up immunity to the effects of it and growing side effects that make it impossible to stay on them. I am also for the mainpart pretty resistant to councelling, although I have signed up for it again as it can't hurt to try.

I considered St. John's Wort as apparently it won't meddle with my contraception, but capsules in Holland and Barrat are really rather expensive, so I was wondering if any mooks have had any luck with St. John's Wort (or any other herbal remedy for depression), because if it is effective it might be worth me buying some.

Thank you darlings!

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

I thought that St. John's Wort DID meddle with contraception, but that MIGHT be only with the combined pill.

I am glad that you are trying to overcome this. I hope that you start to feel better soon.

St. John's Wort is proven to be effective, although I've never stuck with it for long enough to notice a difference, personally. I am really bad at taking medication. :(

You can get through this, Charlizzle. You have done it before, and you can do it again! xx

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

It doesn't mess with depo provera, so I'm fine. :)

And thanks Candy. Hopefully I'll be fine x

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've tried it before, although it did improve my mood I felt really odd. Although it's obviously different from person. If I were you i'd try it and if you don't get on with it just stop. Good luck.

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Honoured Mook

Date:

I've been using it for the past few months and for me it has really worked. The only problem I had was the size of the original pills, they were a bitch to swallow but I believe they've been redesigned. I really do think they are a good choice unless it gets so serious you need to see a doctor, if you know what I mean >
This has made me feel like I can't type at all >>

facebook : tumblr : mua fbpage : youtube

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

You can't buy St. John's Wort in Ireland.....

Though it is proven to work and there have been many controlled trails and studies done on it. You should give it a shot and if it doesn't work, no worries, you can just come off it.

I take Rhodiola. In comparison to St. John's Wort, there is less info and less studies in relation done on it, but it is thought to boost serotonin levels. It works for me (even if it is a placebo affect) so I'm going to keep taking it! (until the government take it off the market, which they probably will, the bastards).

Best of luck with the St. John's Wort! :)

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Charlie I will try to contact you through the book of face, the health shop near me has St Johns Wort on offer for pretty cheap if that price + postage is less than Holland of Barratts I will pick you some up and post it to you.

Mr Pickles used to take and it helped him a lot, he is on mood stabilisers now because St Johns Wort doesn't help with bipolar very much, but when he was on a low, it helped him.

Picklechops - splatterer of a thousand scrota! Don't mess with me! - Pickle according to Dave!

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Not sure if this is resolved or what, but I've just picked up a small bottle of the stuff from holland and barrett, and have actually no idea how to use it. I suppose I'll mix a few drops with some warm water or something.

Indigo, how is the Rhodiola? Is it any good?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

*Cracks knuckles and rolls up sleeves*
Nothing, liquid tinctures should be taken with a mouthful of warm water - I use a shot glass but it doesn't even need to be that much, and you can also take St. John's Wort with juice if needs be because tinctures are made up with alcohol and rarely taste nice!
St. Johns Wort DOES interfere with SOME kinds of contraception, but since we can't sell it in Ireland I never got full training on it so I don't know specifically which sorts it's okay with... Be safe and take an alternative, or ask a professional.
Rhodiola is fabulous but needs to be taken regularly and with patience for it to work, and some people just don't seem to respond to it. It is a very good alternative tho.
Tinctures in general are cheaper than capsules but they run out faster so economically they will probably work out the same.
Brahmi is FANTASTIC, it's an Aryuvedic complex of assorted herbs and it's just lovely, doesn't interfere with other meds either (tho techincally you should never take two different kinds of same-treatment medicine at once, ie prescrpition drugs with over the counter, as they usually clash and can easily cause overdoses). Calendula is another lovely spirit-lifting remedy, and has less interactions with other drugs.
A REALLY good one is something called GABA, not too pricey but not exactly cheap either, if I rememeber correctly Solgar sell one for 15ish euro. It's one a day and VERY powerful. It's particularly good for anxiety-related depression and insomnia (it will make you sleepy unfortunately) and it's only for the worst cases. Advanced complexes of GABA are actually sometimes prescribed by doctors for things like Fibromyalgia...
THAT FELT SO GOOD. I worked in a health shop for nearly three years and got all sorts of training there, I do bloody miss my great big speels about herbs sometimes! :) If the management weren't such despicable bastards, I'd really, really miss working there!

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Ha! Yes, I did exactly that, just as I was advised to do with the Valerian tincture. Yes, the lady in Holland and Barrett mentioned about interfereance with contraception, though I'm not on anything at the moment as the pills I have tried fucked me up abit :L Aye, figured the tincure would work out cheaper, and save me having to check if they were vegan/vegetarian friendly.

Bought it as an alternative to seeing my doctor and being prescribed with some sort of a benzo so no need to worry about clashings and overdoses. Will check out Brahmi, and get info from my Mama, as she's quite knowlegable with Ayurveda.

Gosh! Probably more helpful than anything my doctor has ever told me. :L

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

nothingface wrote:

Not sure if this is resolved or what, but I've just picked up a small bottle of the stuff from holland and barrett, and have actually no idea how to use it. I suppose I'll mix a few drops with some warm water or something.

Indigo, how is the Rhodiola? Is it any good?

I'm not taking it anymore but when I did take it, it was fab. It took a while for it to have any noticable effects (I believe the compounds present in it cumulate in your body over time) but it certainly made my moods better. Hmmm, I may start taking it again as I kinda need it! 

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Regular Crew

Date:

I found St. John's Wort to be really helpful in dealing with my depression. However I do still have bouts. My advice would be to try it for a bit and see how it goes.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I started using it around two months ago, I felt like it was sort of working at first but it's doesn't seem to be doing anything anymore and I'm taking the maximum dose. ); Probably going to try and get myself to a doctor in the next week or two. ); From research online though, it does look as if it works for the majority of people.

Tumblr

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us