Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: The "Where can I find...?" Thread

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
RE: The "Where can I find...?" Thread

Less of a 'where can I find' and more of a 'does anyone have'.

My mother collects Guiding badges for her camp blanket, and her birthday is in July. I always end up getting her stuff she doesn't really need/want, so this year I hit on the idea of gathering her some interesting badges. Ideally I'm looking for:

Girl Guide/Girl Scout place badges (not Manchester ones, she had plenty)
Event badges (anniversaries, camps etc.)
Interest badges pre-1980
Non-UK interest badges, promise badges etc.

If anyone has any that they no longer want, drop me a message saying what you have and what you would like in terms of reimbursement and p+p costs (I'd imagine that unless you have a tonne of them you want rid of, UK Mooks could probably stick them in a small envelope and use an ordinary stamp).

And if anyone else collects badges and would like to swap some, that would also be great. :)

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I actually have a few old interest and event badges and one old (like old, before my time!) guide badge. I have no idea where they are but if I can find any, I'll send you a pm. There was a small vintage shop I used to go to that sold really cool old badges for a reasonable price, too bad I moved. I think that's a really lovely idea for her present this year :)

Harlan :-)

("they" pronouns please, mookyfolk)

Regular Crew

Date:

Does anyone know where I can find actually decent lolita cosplay wigs? Ebay seems a bit...meh....

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've not bought any, but Geisha Wigs seems popular. They look lovely and seem reasonably priced for what they are. They've also got a nice selection of natural and colourful wigs, so you'll probably find something you like. Although if you want a really decadent, curly updo style, most of their Lolita wigs just seem to be long and curly.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Lush Guru

Date:

^^I think Pickle has just had trouble with Geisha wigs, might want to talk to her first.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Ah, then I may retract that, and also reconsider them myself. However, I think that Leikin might have recommended them in the first place, and said something about them being good unless you order something out of stock, in which case it might take months to come back in again.

I'd try stalking a Lolita blog or something, lots of them review products they've bought before.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^
Ain't me who said that  :P

But the best lolita wig supplier is Gothic Lolita Wigs. They're expensive and popular though so wigs are often out of stock. They're also American so expect some import taxes and the like (hisssss!). And also Lockshop, who're located in Europe. Theirs look almost real (a friend of mine has one from there, she wears it all the time. It wasn't until the third time we met that I saw it was a wig).

L-email is a good place too (mine's from there - I've compared it to a GLW one of the same style, they're almost exactly the same), they're cheap as well, and they give you tracked shipping.

Oh, and anyone who claims their wigs are from the same supplier as GLW is a liar, so don't buy from there. And please don't get some huge clip-ontwintail split-colour thing if you can't coord it really well (and those're out of style anyway, it's all about the Rhapsody and other wavy, bohemian wigs now).

-- Edited by Leikin on Saturday 31st of May 2014 08:31:41 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ Sorry, must have been thinking of someone else and my brain lost a link and just thought 'who is one of the most awesome loli girls you know..?'

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Maybe ask Rachel? I know she wears her wigs for day-to-day wear rather than cosplay, but they're good quality and look nice, so maybe she can help?

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

My jacket needs a back patch  :C

Where do I find good ones? preferably in black/white, and with a somewhat funny message, if possible. Anything relating to feminism, cats, unspecific left-wing politics or Japanese pop culture is great, too.

I've tried Etsy, and Google, but they don't really turn up anything decent. I don't have the materials to Screen-print or anything.

(Kinda thinking of getting this and sewing on a speech bubble that says "Not all men" for the shield angel. But I'm also thinking that once that trend dies down, if it hasn't already, nobody will get it.)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Oh, and also, is there some online store in Europe that sells a large assortment of lace? Like, tulle lace, high-quality stuff, in many colours (preferably pastels) and maybe some organza ribbons and things, too?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've decided (after three moves in a short space of time, with another on the cards soon) that I have too much makeup. Half of it is half empty, drying up or probably past it's use-by date. So, I'm just going to bin it all and buy what I really need from a brand with good quality. Does anyone have any brands to recommend for the following:
-black eyeliner, soft and smudgy
-black eyeliner, felt tip style
-black mascara
-silver/steel/gunmetal glitter eye shadow
-red lipstick, darkish with a bit of gloss
-red lip/cheek tint
They don't have to be from the same brand (although that would be convenient, especially if they come as a set) and I don't mind how much they cost within reason (I'll pay for a large, long lasting decent lipstick, but I'm not shelling out twenty pounds for something that I could buy in a pound shop).

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

Emmi, for the felt tip eyeliner I'd recommend Rimmel Scandaleyes precision micro pen, which is waterproof and has a super fine tip. I don't know what kind of mascara you like, but mine is (again) Rimmel Scandaleyes retro glam - it has a massive wand (hur hur hur!) and is really good for making your eyelashes big and bold.

As for eyeshadow, I've had good experiences with Barry M and Boots Natural Collection, but I would wait to see what the fabulous make up mooks have to say.

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

Mookface (mod)

Date:

I loved the eyeliner and mascara I had from Bourjois, they lasted for quite a while and were really good. The eyeliner was a double ended one, with a sponge tip at the other end for smudging. It was verrry soft and smudgy though, almost too much for my day-to-day purposes. The Coup de Theatre mascara was amazing though.

My current mascara's actually from H&M, it cost about three quid or something and it's pretty good. 'Mega Volume'. It's not going to give you a false-lash look but for a daytime quick and easy *argh I need some definition on my eyes* it works far better than I thought it would. For a more 'dramatic' look I use a thick and gloopy No. 7 one to get a bit of more colour and weight then use the H&M one to fan out the lashes.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I really just use mascara to stop my (extremely pale) eyelashes looking odd when I wear eyeliner. So, just something that puts colour on them, without getting too clumpy.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^Natural Collection mascara at Boots for sure. I also like the mascara Eye of Horus do, but the price gap between the two brands is HUGE and to be honest I kind of prefer Natural Collection, it just doesn't catch your outer lashes quite as well. I've tried so many brands of mascara and Natural Collection is cheap as chips but somehow absolutely wonderful (for me, at least.) It doesn't like, plump out(?) your lashes as much as some brands but it lengthens and defines them nicely and doesn't clump, so it sounds like it'd be good for you.

How dark do you want for the red lipstick? I have a few in mind but they might be a bit too dark.

I looove How 'Bout Them Apples by The Balm, it's a combo lip and cheek tint. I googled it and I only seem to be able to find it in a palette but the one I got from Birch Box is a single, so maybe you could find one if you're not looking for a palette. It has lasted me FOREVER, I have a few different lip/cheek combo tints but they usually peform better as either a lip or cheek tint and then fall short in the other area. This one is perfect for both, it's nice and creamy but not so much that it slides around on your face. I love it. I would happily pay mega bucks for it.

My favourite gunmetal shadow is from the first Naked palette, but that's a little pricy and there's not much point buying a palette if you're only after one shadow. My favourite place to get single eyeshadows is etsy, there are some AMAZING eyeshadow colours on there. Impulse Cosmetics and Pumpkin & Poppy are my favourite stores.

Can't help with the eyeliner because I only wear gel, but sounds like the other mooks have you covered anyway!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

The best products ive used both personally an professionally as a working make up person are

skin mascara and lips- mac
tints an blush- benefit
eyeshadows- urban decay

this all gets a little pricey but these brands last for aaaaggges

so what if i love each feather an each spangle, why not try an see things from a different angle?

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I second urban decay eyeshadows. I still have some left of one I bought in 2003, and it is still gorgeous, easy to work with and as good as new (only reason I have some left is that I do not use blue shades very often). They are not exactly cheap to buy, but in the long run they are well worth it I think. And they have a sparkly one called "gunmetal" that it seems you can buy as a single :)

My hands down best lipstick is from Dior, but they are expensive :(

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

My mascara is the Rocket Volum' Express one from Maybelline, and I really like it! I like the One-By-One more, but it doesn't come in waterproof anymore (I only wear waterproof). Both are very good at not clumping and last aaaages before drying out.

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I always go from a brand to another when I buy mascara and eyeshadow but I've been using the same eyeliner and lipstick (both from Maybelline) for a couple of years and I'm very happy with both of them. The Stiletto Liquid Eyeliner is absolutely perfect and the 24 hours Super Stay lipstick is aptly named because you can drink, kiss or swim and it will stay on place. They are not expensive and easy to find, even in my small little country town.

''Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.'' George Carlin

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Thanks Mooks! I went shopping yesterday and probably really annoyed the staff looking for the gunmetal eye shadow ("Yes, I know it says 'gunmetal' on the packet, but that is clearly a shade of brown!") but I did succeed in getting everything but the lip/cheek tint. They only had one, that I have used previously and always ended up looking patchy. I also bought myself a new little case and some new brushes, so I am all spoiled and organised. Now I just have to wait for the end of these antibiotics, because I don't want to potentially contaminate brand new stuff.

Lush Guru

Date:

^^Have you tried Benetint for the lip/cheek stain?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Don't suppose anyone knows of any shops that sell plants do they? I've been after a few little potted plants to sit on my windowsill, but I can't think of anywhere that sells them that I can get to. My first thought was Wilkinsons, but it seems they've got rid of theirs to make room for Christmas stuff, and seeing as I have no way of getting to any garden centres or out of the way shops, I can't think of anywhere else.

(This is in Manchester, if anyone has any specific suggestions.)

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Supermarkets sometimes have little potted plants near the fruit n veg. I know the Morrisons in my town does, anyway. Hope you find some

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

^^^I second Spikey. At the moment in my flat we have Basil Fawlty and a little sunflower sprout in the living room, and we got those from the supermarket for less than a tenner in total.

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I've definitely seen some (cacti and succulents as well as edible herbs, mostly) in my local Asda. Really, you just have to check the fruit and veg section. Probably near the cut flowers if your local sells them.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

You can also grow plants from vegetable scraps http://www.diyncrafts.com/4732/repurpose/25-foods-can-re-grow-kitchen-scraps Avocado is nice, I don't think it's likely that you get new avocados anytime soon, but it grows quickly into an nice green plant.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Even Lidl sell plants [and a lot of other non-food stuff besides] but they seem to come in as-and-when as their offers are seasonal.

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Yup, all the mooks are right, but I firmly second Irilar's avocado suggestion. We have two growing and they're so darn easy to look after, and they grow very quickly into decent sized plants. They're really pretty too, especially for the autumn time - the plants I have have this lovely red tint, very autumny. It's nice having something you've grown yourself too.

Homebase is an obvious option, but as well as big potted plants they also sell lovely little cacti (often in cute pots and cheap) and stuff like pretty coloured heather. My favourite plant, a maidenhair fern, came from there. They also have discount plants, often if the plants have a few dead leaves or something they'll just get thrown into the discount pile. I got a money plant for something like 17p and it has flourished, as have most of the discount plants I've bought from there. Their plants aren't looked after the way you might see at a garden centre or something, but a lot of them are very cheap and they're nice beginner plants, so getting them back into tip top shape generally isn't much of a challenge.

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

^ Save pips and seeds from what you eat and pop them in a pot! If there's nowhere local that sells earth to plant them in, head out to your local park with a plastic bag and a trowel or spoon. The park might not have ideal soil for baby seeds, but it won't miss a bit of earth. Chili seeds from whole chillies grow quite into lovely little plants which do actually provide you with a good crop of chilis if you keep them indoors - maybe not on an exterior windowsill, though. Tomato seeds will grow very big and have a lovely fresh smell. Courgettes are bloody gorgeous and have the most tremendous, tropical-looking flowers. Supermarkets often have little plants of some kind or another although, as you say, Christmas. Google for garden centres - they tend to be on the fringes of towns and hard to get to, but you might find one that's local to you.

Exterior sills: If you're growing outside, it might be a good idea to secure the window box or plant pots. Mine fell down in a fierce storm and I'm very glad they didn't hurt someone.

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

«First  <  1 2 3  >  Last»  | Page of 3  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us