Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Job Choices

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
Job Choices

Okay, so a lot of you already know that I work for a cosmetics company. I've been here since November last year. I haven't been totally happy as it's a very wishy-washy kind of position. One day I'm a PA, the next I'm a marketing assistant blah blah.

So the other day my manager basically told me that they're going to let me be a junior brand manager for a while, which is the reason I took the job, because that's what I wanted. However, they aren't adjusting my salary, which is not very high by the local standards. I told her in no uncertain terms that I would only do the other work if some of my current responsibilities were removed, and I've yet to receive any feedback, although she agreed with me at the time (wishy-washy, remember).

Today I got a phone call, another company wanted my CV etc, so I emailed it to them and they want to see me Monday. The salary offering is double what I earn now.

So what do I do? Go into a new job where I know nobody and things could turn bad? I will potentially be at the bottom of the food chain AGAIN. Or stick it out here and hope and pray I get a proper promotion one day? My hard work should speak for itself. The familiarity of this place is also tempting. Go out on a limb or stay safe (and poor)?

Honoured Mook

Date:

At least go see them on Monday and get some more information and then if you decide to take the new job it's more of a calculated risk. Once you've been to this new company and talked to them and gotten a feel for what it's like, it should be a bit clearer. Besides, sometimes you just have to take a scary as hell leap of faith. Whatever happens, get as much information as you can, think it over, but don't go against what your gut feeling tells you :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Dude,they want to see you within a ***week*** of getting your CV and pay you double...I would say that is a huge confidence boost for you! :) [and well-deserved too!]

But you're right to think twice...frying pan into the fire syndrome and all that,plus money isn't everything if it turns out your new job is basically being the tea girl and general dogsbody and you hate it. Fancy titles are as common as muck,as the binmen disguised as environmental cleansing operatives no doubt say.

So,as the previous poster said,go along and sniff them out...do they seem a decent company with motivated employees,or a gang of buzzword-obsessed idiots? Also,prod your boss to remind her about what you asked. Extra work with no extra pay isn't really a good thing to agree to,maybe she's forgotten or maybe she's waiting back to hear from her boss or the personnel department if a salary change is involved.

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll see what sort of general impression I get, I've got a lot of questions lined up for them.

onewhitelioness: I will definitely go with my gut, I have a trusty gut!

Dave: My main concern is going back to square one and being the lowest ranked person yet again. When I left my old job (creditors), I was semi-senior and came in here at the bottom. It sucks. I'm 23 and tired of being viewed as receptionist material.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

True that,you don't want to have to scrabble up the greasy pole over and over again. On the other hand,you have less responsibility and thus stress than the managers do,but that depends on whether you have an insane lust for power or not. ;) I guess it depends on what exactly they want you to do at the new place,and what opportunities for advancement they offer.

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

@ Arlennmia's last post: Well, why not just tell them that? Not in those words exactly, but when you talk with them it ought to be clear what they want and what they can offer. You've got experience, why should you start at the bottom all over again (indeed, why did your current employers let you start from the bottom?) Plus, depending a bit on what it's like there, it might not hurt to let your current employers know that you have other offers. Junior brand manager "for awhile" without paying you more for the added work and responsibility?

Of course, I have never ever been anywhere near an office job and work culture is different countries, but this doesn't exactly sound like good management. If they ponder about moving you up and give you more responsibility, why don't they hold up a carrot for you?

On which terms you entered into your job, what prospects you were offered? Have they been fulfilling their promises?

-- Edited by Irilar on Thursday 29th of September 2011 02:18:19 PM

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

@Irilar: I most certainly will ask them what sort of position it is. When they phoned me, I thought they were an agency and gave them a full run-down of the semi-management positions I'd handled before and that I'm young but certainly not junior. I'll query during the interview.

My current employers actually didn't let me 'start from the bottom', it sort of just happened. In our company there's very little structure (I've been fighting to put systems in place). I am the PA to the CEO, which in any other company is a senior position, however there is nobody beneath me. It's a senior position, but without junior support.

If I get an offer, I will approach my manager, especially if it's much higher than my current pay. I have had other offers at the same salary which I didn't mention because they weren't worth my time.

As for being JBM for 'a while', I have requested that a structured evaluation process be implemented before I take up the extra responsibility. After all, I need to prove that somebody WITHOUT a marketing degree can still manage the work, and possibly do it better than the other brand managers (I'm confident that I will).

They haven't held the carrot up because company policy forbids increases outside of the annual increase which affects the entire company. This is all very nice and interesting, but they should give me numbers before I accept. If they increase me by some laughable amount at the end of this, I will be pissed off.

They have been fulfilling their promises, but in their own unstructured way. It's always a hazy amount of time set. When I was made permanent, my salary went up and I was told I would take over the media stuff 'for a few months'. Well I've excelled at that and we've had more media exposure this year than EVER. Now they want to add brand manager 'for a few months'. All the while I continue to be PA.

@Dave: I'm not a corporate ladder jumper, but I want to be in a comfortable, respectable position within the company.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Quick Update: I postponed the interview and re-scheduled for today after work.

In the interim, I was told I won't be JBM and they hired a Brand Manager to take over my manager's brands (she has other work to focus on). The reason was that my boss didn't want to get a new PA, or relieve me of any of those responsibilities.

My manager apparently told my boss that she will have to promote me fully into Media, but I'm still miffed because they will never accept that it's enough to do without the PA work attached, and to put it mildly, my boss is not that clever. She doesn't check the emails/text messages I send her to inform her of stuff and it makes my work VERY frustrating.

So anyway, going for the interview today, will see what comes of it. I did a bit of snooping at the prospective company and found that they have an established structure of underlings.

Lush Guru

Date:

The new company sounds really positive! I hope your interview with them goes well, I think going out on a limb is highly underrated personally.

Regular Crew

Date:

if you were semi senior at your old job and you're only 23 now, then you have plenty of time to work upwards again. by the sounds of it you're very hard working so im sure you wont be at the bottom for long. i would definately embrace the change if you're not happy where you are now.xx

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Thanks for the replies. Just thought I'd let you know that we postponed again! This time from their side. Tomorrow afternoon we shall see if I actually get to meet them!

Alka - I really need to go out on a limb here. I know not all employers are crazy, I just need to find one!

VampNinja - I know what you mean, but it's not nice to go back to a doormat position (especially when it's not what you signed up for). I know I'll work my way up, but I at least want a boost going in.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

If they have your CV then they'll know what level you're at just now so I doubt they're offering you a "doormat" position...even a well paid "doormat". Good luck tomorrow :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Good luck Gillian! :)

Dave.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Thanks everybody :)

So I went for the interview today, it was 1.5 hours long, and they want me for a second interview with the big kahuna. I'll admit I'm on the fence, it was a two-part interview, first with a nice lady and then with the mean lady who would potentially be my boss. The nice lady warned me that they grill people pretty severely in interviews to see how they handle pressure, which I found intriguing.

Well the lady grilled me and I went at it pretty well (I'm not easily intimidated), and she invited for a second interview. I could see I made an impression on her. Apparently four people had already declined the second interview. I'm the first person they've met with very involved marketing experience, accounting background AND personal assistant skill or whatever you call it.

The hitch is that there's some overtime involved, which is not my cup of tea. Firstly, we only have one vehicle I'm the car hog. Secondly, it's far from home and I'm paranoid about driving at night, especially since my car has a twisted sense of humor (kicking the bucket in dodgy neighbourhoods). There is no public transport option.

Basically, if I took this, it would be a mega-career move and I'd have to commit myself 110%. I'll decide after the second interview if I'm prepared to do that.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

If you're going to be getting more wages then could you afford to get a little well-serviced, reliable second hand car? That way you don't have to worry about it being temperamental or that you're hogging the car. I always worried about driving at night but I actually found I prefer it because there are fewer cars on the road so you actually get to places more quickly.

All jobs tell you they'll need you to do overtime. You just have to know how to handle the requests, eg if it's an important job and it has to be done by the deadline then yeah take the overtime but if it's someone taking the piss asking you to do their work then no... Don't use that as a reason not to take the job.

There's nothing wrong with being hesitant about a new job but be sure and weigh up the good points and bad points about both jobs and be realistic as to their importance before you make a decision.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Yeah I definitely could get a new car, but it would take a few months first! I usually leave work after 17H30 and get home pretty quickly.

It seems a third choice has come into play. I just got a call from my previous job, who needs me back quite desperately. They want me to do creditors/debtors (which I have lots of experience in). It's a high position in the company, and I liked everyone there except the Director, but I'll be working under the Financial Director if I start there.

Since I'm keeping an open mind, I'll speak to him tomorrow.

I've also been pondering about this new job prospect (the far away one). I'm a bit peeved that they feel the need to be bitchy in interviews. I've been wondering if I'm going to have my defenses up the whole time I'm there or if I'm going to have to be a big bad bitch just to prove I can do my job. That's really not my style.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^Do either of them have paid leave for sword-fighting and general bad-assery? ;)

Seriously,I'd be a bit wary of this place if it turns out to be run as a pissing contest,and whoever's cock of the walk gets ahead. Opportunity or not,that would suck.

Good luck with the interview though and whatever you decide. :) Going back to your old job looks tempting I bet,at least you know what you're getting into.

Dave.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us