Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Resolutions For The New Academic Year.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
Resolutions For The New Academic Year.

So it's nearly September and I'm sure I can't be the only one that makes resolutions for the next school year (despite the fact I never make them for the actual new year). So what are everyones?

I've decided that this year I'm going to work on my social skills by trying my very best to talk to new people. Also, I'm going to make an effort to revise all year long and not only before exams.

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Honoured Mook

Date:

My resolution for this year is just to get through it and not take shit from anyone, despite the fact it will mostly be the headmaster giving me shit. It's the last year hopefully so I just need to get through it and survive my exams!

facebook : tumblr : mua fbpage : youtube

Honoured Mook

Date:

Ooooh I've never made them before but no time like the present eh? I've already made a thread about general resolutions, but in addition to these I need to keep up to date on my written work, and just get through it.

a troubled cure for a troubled mind...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I am going to work my arse off. I have GOT to work my arse off. My end of year exam results were utterly appalling so I'm determined to do better this (school) year. And I'm going to be more confident about extra-curricular things. And get better at sports. And basically become more well rounded and more organised.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I'm going to work my ass off for lights and try not to complain.
I'm going to pass AP History and Intensive English.
I'm going to study my German MUCH more than I did last year, and am going to get on the German trip list.
I'm going to eat lunch, and make sure they're healthy.
I'm going to go to bed at a reasonable hour, not 1 in the morning.
I'm going to complete all my homework in a timely manner.

...shit, I love how none of this is going to happen, except maybe #2 and #3.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Im going to work my absolute hardest at all of my 4 subjects, its only 4 so I feel like an idiot, In the way that I find it difficult. Im definitely going to try and do a lot more art as well.

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Mookface (mod)

Date:

I am going to do my course reading and prep BEFORE seminars and lectures.
I am going to attend every lecture and seminar.
As soon as I get an assignment, I am going to go to the library and withdraw the books.
I am going to complete essays within two weeks of them being set, so I can go back to them and edit them and get all the Firsts.
I am going to limit my drinking to 2 pints if I have any sessions the next day.
I am going to balance my course, my society, my friends and my boyfriend, and prioritise appropriately.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

^Omnom Rowan, I don't know why but you always manage to make me feel all inspired and positive. :D

Liv

My Tumblr :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ Same! You never fail to get me interested and working, lady Ro :)

My resolution is to work proper working days this year. My MA looks to only be about seven hours' teaching time a week and, while my undergrad was about the same, I spent most of the time I wasn't in lectures just dossing about not doing anything productive. This time round I'm determined to do 10-6 working days, five days a week, so I actually learn stuff and do all the reading and motivate myself and actually get good enough at my subject to feel like it's worth my applying for PhD.

Honoured Mook

Date:

This year I am going to get my homework done in free periods or in the evenings and not leave it till the weekend. I will use my frees productively and revise and not just hang around with my boyfriend if we have the same frees.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm going to do work on a daily basis, not just before exams.
I'm going to do my utmost to stay in control of my studies.
I'm going to work my arse off in German because I want to be really good at it.

I'm going to attend every single lecture.

I'm going to keep my notes organised.

-- Edited by Spiggy on Tuesday 30th of August 2011 03:58:27 PM

-- Edited by Spiggy on Tuesday 30th of August 2011 03:59:55 PM

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I'm not studying anymore but I've signed up for an evening course in Russian because I want to take the Transsiberian one day and talk with old grannies on the train.

My resolution is to do the work needed to memorize things, even if it is boring. All the other languages I've learned as an adult are kinda half-assed because I'm used to get by without reading anything more than once -a style of studying that doesn't work that well with languages since I always end up knowing the grammar (except verbs, verbs disagree with me) but not many words..

So this time, I will make lists with words and memorize them.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

I am going to:
- go to every lecture and seminar and actually finish reading every book I'm assigned to (instead of getting halfway through and bullshitting it for a few lessons until I finish).
-Make AT LEAST three friends, which seems like the most daunting one at the moment.
-Make a nice neat schedule for all my coursework and have them finished early so I can proofread and edit them properly
-I am going to balance my relationship and my study EQUALLY.
-Actually organise my notes and copy them out immediately after lectures so that I can actually read them when I need to.
-Practice French/German from classes so that I can speak, read and write coherently.

All the academic stuff I can do and I'm really looking forward to, but the idea of having to make new friends terrifies me. I have three friends in MK, and that includes F.

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm going to work harder than I've ever worked in my life.
I'm going to appear enthusiastic (this is a hard one - all my school reports read 'Natasha doesn't show much enthusiasm', when in fact I am enthusiastic-ish, I just don't know how to show it so when I get to uni I'm going to be like 'LOOK AT ME SHOWING ALL THIS ENTHUSIASM')
I'm going to talk a lot and make people like me, and have a social life like I've never had but NOT go wild and still have time to work hard, as above.

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm going to stop missing so many lectures for stupid reasons like "It's a Friday and I can't be bothered". If I do miss lectures, I must do an hour of work to make up for it.

I will do all of (or rather, a good chunk of) the recommended reading.

Expand my social circles to meet more lovely folk.

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Do all homework at least a day before it is due
Revise using question/answers, not just reading
Hone my psychology exam technique
Work for resits without freaking out
Actually TRY in English Language
USE MY FREE PERIODS PRODUCTIVELY
Stop relying on cheek to get out of trouble
Stop letting other people make me feel rubbish
Make new friends (?)

A tumblr...

Resident Lord of the Cranberries

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Im going to try and get to sleep before two. If I manage that 1.

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Honoured Mook

Date:

I'm going to generally organise myself and make sure I always have the right equipment for each lesson. I'm going to make notes and colour code them so they're easy to revise from, and I'm actually going to revise rather than kidding myself that I have when really I haven't. I'm going to be the best house representative possible and hopefully get the best results I can for the class. I'm going to give in homework on time and I'm going to stop going to sleep at ridiculous times. I'm going to eat more healthily and try and stay positive as I can. Hopefully I'll also try more at sports though I doubt that's entirely realistic.

I miss you all deeply but I'm so busy that I never have the free time to post :(

Honoured Mook

Date:

I always say I'm going to keep up with all the reading and do all the work but I never do.. Looks like I'm going to have to now though, was just looking at the course outline for one of my courses and we have to hand in 2 essays a week, starting this wednesday.. Whaaat! And there's about 200 pages of reading assigned for the first lecture of the other course. Classes haven't even started yet and I already feel swamped!
So yesyes, I will go and do all my reading and do everything the teacher asks me!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm going into third year of university and I am scared shitless. I love my course but I am quite a dosser and miss lectures (and often labs) for ridiculous reasons. This can no longer be done! Third year is serious and I won't get away with doing the bare minimum.

This year I promise to:

-Revise all semester, not just two weeks before the exams.
-Get to bed EARLY each night (before one would be early for me).
-Go to ALL my lectures, workshops and labs.
-If I miss a lecture for whatever reason, an hour of study/other work must be done instead.
-Actually take notes in lectures. A series of crudely drawn willies on my mates' A4 pad do not count.
-Start my dissertation the minute I choose the title, and chip away at it through the year, rather than starting it the month before and panicking!
-Have all my lecture notes organized into folders.
-Balance my social life as well as working hard.
-Go back to yoga and join dance too. Maybe the bio society as well.
-Don't procrastinate by making lists like these all the time... Just do the work :P

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

This year, my final year of college, I'm going to:

• Improve my attendance;
  • Complete my EPQ;
  • Revise properly for chemistry, regardless of whatever is going on in my personal life at the time;
  • Go to bed at a reasonable time;
  • Read around the topics more and ace those exams;
  • Use my free period for study, hence:
  • Attend more social events!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I'm not setting myself any specific goals this year. I never stick to them all and then I just feel guilty, despite me making a lot more effort than a lot of my peers seem to. So this year, all I am saying is: it's my last year, and therefore I can go out as much as I want to PROVIDING I do enough work beforehand.

Honoured Mook

Date:

This school year I will:

-ace all my classes
-read and prep before classes so I don't come off as a total useless dunce during group assignments in class
-actually study all semester, rather than reviewing just before exams
-ask for help when I need it instead of being so fucking proud
-get enough sleep
-not talk myself into sleeping in for an hour, miss yoga, and then rush to school in my car that has no airbags or anti-lock brakes
-dress nicely and be collected each day
-be a strong role model and supportive peer for my freshmen
-not lose my temper with the jackass sophomore who calls me "Cassy" and needs to grow the fuck up
-grow closer to my classmates (the likable ones)
-not freak out and stop eating due to stress
-not freak out and overeat due to stress
-apply for colleges and financial aid in an organized, timely manner
-keep up with my hobbies
-not spend all my money on corsets and skirts and tights and plants and shoes and-!
-manage my time properly instead of rationalizing every time I have to do something less than pleasant

I should stop making lists and actually get my bum in gear. :/ Now, back to calculus...

Edit: I just printed this and stuck it to my door! Huzzah!

-- Edited by Spry Lady Murk on Sunday 11th of September 2011 11:51:44 PM

His lips were blue.
Well, I guess they were pink, but they looked blue and I couldn't help but notice how they matched his eyes.

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Well, my academic year is starting in half an hour and I am bricking it. My resolution is that from today onwards, I am going to work like a demon, get all of my assignments done, and learn to be a GOOD TEACHER. I can't bear the thought of going through this year and coming out of it as a shit teacher. I am going to try my best not to let anything get on top of me, and try not to let any bitchy kids get me down. I am going to keep my house tidy and orderly, and I am going to eat healthily.

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Honoured Mook

Date:

So, this years plans are to;
- Not spend all of my student loan on beer, chocolate, gig tickets and books.
- At least try and make an effort to talk to the other people on my course.
- Start studying at least a week before exams.
- Get at least two As.
- Make more use of the uni library.
- Make healthy packed lunches rather than just eating a roll and potato scone from the deli every day.
- Not miss the deadline for handing in essay drafts again.
- Have absolutely no re-sits.
- Make a start on assignments as soon as they're given.
- Have all assignments finished a week (or at least 4 days) before they're due in.
- Get enough sleep.

However long I'll actually stick to these is anyone's guess.

. Tumblr . Flickr .

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

• I am going to make a time table for study out of school hours. It shall be demanding, but with one day off a week and no compulsory stuff after 7.00pm.
  • I am going to stick to the aforementioned timetable. No excuses - I'll make it flexible, so there's no reason why I wouldn't stick to it apart from laziness.
  • I am going to be organised for every lesson. (Powerpoints printed off, homework done, the lot)
  • I am going to do my homework when I get it.
  • I am going to start coursework as early as possible so that I don't get behind/stressed and have plenty of time to correct anything.
  • I am going to work on my concentration. I am WAY too easily distracted.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I am going to work *less* hard, study less, and be more sociable and spend more time with my family.
How I'm going to achieve that and maintain straight As I'm not sure.

Oh, and I'm going to join a Kettlebells class and re-build the muscles that have disappeared from my arms.

Regular Crew

Date:

I am going to try keep focused and not take days off even for appointments, education comes first this time :)

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
Edgar Allan Poe

Honoured Mook

Date:

How's everyone doing with their resolutions? I am doing ok with mine, so I am adding another: on Monday, Wednesday and Thursdays when I'm not at rangers and am going to try and stay off the computer (unless it is for work) until 8:30/9:00 and I am going to spend that time doing homework, doing difficult maths problems or reading. It sounds like a long time but I get in a almost 5:30 and I spend about an hour having dinner and talking, so its only 2.5 hours of work.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I'm failing miserably at mine. Social life is there. Working less hard but maintaining control is not! Family life is suffering.

New plan is to go to the uni library on the days I only have classes in the mornings since it's easier to work without people disturbing me than at home. Hopefully be more productive and stop me getting as panicky as I'm getting now.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us