Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: What are you playing?

Honoured Mook

Date:
What are you playing?

I don't think there's a thread like this yet.

Those of you who play intruments or sing, what can you play/sing or what are you learning to play/sing? On what instrument?

I'll start. I am learning to play Sonatina Op. 36 No.1 - Clementi, Sonatina Op. 55, No. 1 - Kuhlau and Saltwater Room - Owl City on piano.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Oooo I like this thread. I am learning to sing/ play dresden dolls-good day on piano, although that's for my audition, and I need another one. And I'm slowly making my way through Who Killed Amanda Palmer, on piano.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I've been learning to play the ukulele for about a year and a half now- I can play Creep by Radiohead, These Boots are Made For Walking by Nancy Sinatara and The Ting Tings That's Not My Name, I can play some others like Anarchy in The Uk but not without the chords written down in front of me!

Check out my show:

http://www.mixcloud.com/PigtailsAndArmyBoots

and my blog

http://djmoonlightmusic.blogspot.com

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

peacelily wrote:

Oooo I like this thread. I am learning to sing/ play dresden dolls-good day on piano, although that's for my audition, and I need another one. And I'm slowly making my way through Who Killed Amanda Palmer, on piano.

Do you have the sheet music for that, or are you just figuring it out as you go? I'd LOVE to play Amanda Palmer on piano.

Liv

My Tumblr :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

One of my friends is teaching me Ancora by Ludovico Einaudi, but because it's only when we're in the piano rooms at school that she teaches me, (and because I've only been learning piano for about nine months) I can only play the first thirty seconds.

And I'm also learning Porcelain by Helen Jane Long.

And attempting to stretch my hands far enough so I can play Comptine d'un Autre Eté: L'Apres Midi (I know the notes, but I can't reach them for the life of me. My hands don't go that far :( ) by Yann Tiersen.

And also La Dispute, also by Yann Tiersen.

As well as working my way through The Classic Piano Course for Beginners.

-- Edited by Celtic Mysteria on Thursday 28th of July 2011 12:20:08 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

These days I'm working on Mendelssohn's Praeludium in E minor. It's a beautiful piano piece but it's a bit difficult because it's really fast.
Celtic Mysteria wrote:

And attempting to stretch my hands far enough so I can play Comptine d'un Autre Eté: L'Apres Midi (I know the notes, but I can't reach them for the life of me. My hands don't go that far :( ) by Yann Tiersen.

Celtic, maybe this page can help. http://www.wikihow.com/Span-Large-Intervals-on-a-Piano

Be careful though, I know a couple of pianists who hurt themselves trying too hard to stretch their hands. I even read somewhere that Schumann damaged his right hand really bad with some kind of a stretching device.

''Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.'' George Carlin

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

tammycuteness wrote:
peacelily wrote:

Do you have the sheet music for that, or are you just figuring it out as you go? I'd LOVE to play Amanda Palmer on piano.

I ordered the song book, it's only available in the US, but good music shops won't charge much/anything to order it for you.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm trying to perfect Colour of the Trap by Miles Kane (the Alex Turner version) on guitar. I know the chords, but the strumming pattern is giving me a headache.

I can play a few things on a lot of instruments, but I do know quite a lot of songs on guitar. I tried learning the acoustic version of Incubus's Pardon Me a while ago, but Incubus are a nightmare to play - especially for someone like me, with small hands.

-- Edited by cowl on Friday 29th of July 2011 08:01:46 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Wyno wrote:
Celtic Mysteria wrote:

Celtic, maybe this page can help. http://www.wikihow.com/Span-Large-Intervals-on-a-Piano

Be careful though, I know a couple of pianists who hurt themselves trying too hard to stretch their hands. I even read somewhere that Schumann damaged his right hand really bad with some kind of a stretching device.

Thanks for the link :) I was thinking it might be easier if I just used this guy's method of reaching large intervals.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ Yeah, this guy is awesome! I learned that prelude a couple of years ago and it was the hardest piece I ever worked on. It would have been easier with his method! :)

''Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.'' George Carlin

Honoured Mook

Date:

Oh, I'm so jealous of all you mooks who play piano. I just couldn't do it for the life of me. I hated the sound of the keyboard I used to practice on so that might have worked against me too.

Now I'm just studying vocals, currently working on some stuff from the musical Chess and I'm almost finished perfecting Easy as life from Aida. I mostly sing musical theatre tunes sometimes some classical stuff too.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I can play a bit of Lazy Sunday by The Small Faces and Heart of Glass by Blondie on keyboard.
I mean I can't play with both hands at the same time because I'm shite, but still.

Oh and I can play a few songs on harmonica.

-- Edited by charmer on Thursday 11th of August 2011 09:29:49 PM

Tumblr

Honoured Mook

Date:

Great idea!

I'm learning an Elegie by Stravinsky on my violin... it was originally intended for viola but I was able to find an edition transposed for violin :)

Regular Crew

Date:
Lady muso's, what instrument do you play?

First of all, I'm sorry if this question has already been asked, I just joined mookychick today and thought I'd get going and start a topic. smile

So, ladies, what instrument do you play? what are your favourite bands? do you get sexist comments from guys from time to time? what made you pick the instrument you're playing?

I'm a metal guitarist, I rarely come across other female musicians and would love to hear what you will all say. smile

-- Edited by MemoriesofStephanie on Wednesday 12th of October 2011 12:43:44 AM

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I play the flute. :) Unfortunately it's thought of as a rather 'girly' instrument, but I don't care. I've wanted to play the flute since I was very young (probably about 4) and I've always been fascinated with flutes and related instruments.
Flutes don't often get used in more modern music. Maybe their day will come though-- people have started using violins and other strings pretty regularly in some types of rock and metal, so it's not impossible...

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Regular Crew

Date:

I love the flute, I can't but fall in love whenever I hear it. Same goes for violin and the cello, but unfortunately... I can't play any of them. xD

People so get shocked when I tell them I'm a guitarist and play metal, as I actually look and act pretty girly. xD

It's great you're passionate about music and what you play, I come from a sporty family and telling my mother I want to become a metal musician was a shock for her. xD but she actually didn't mind and supports me still this day. :)

I like hearing classical instruments used in rock and metal music, it's such a great combination and sounds beautiful... so, I'm sure flutes will get their spotlight too. ^_^

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

http://forum.mookychick.co.uk/t44124408/what-are-you-playing/

Regular Crew

Date:

Spikeyfaerie wrote:

http://forum.mookychick.co.uk/t44124408/what-are-you-playing/

Sorry, didn't know there was already a topic on this... my apologies. :)

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

The flute is my most "primary instrument", but as a music-lover and music major, I will attempt to play any instrument that I can get my hands on.

Here is my blog.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I haven't played for years, but I used to do tuned percussion. Xylophone if given a choice. I started out as a drummer but had no talent whatsoever. And now I kind of want to start playing again - my main issue was that I always felt awkward practising at home and being all noisy, though...

Oh, and I was in an orchestra: when they didn't have a glockenspiel part for me I ended up playing the triangle. So, of course, that was, like, the only song that we ever performed...

Regular Crew

Date:

i used to play the drums too,when i was younger. i was quite good at it but stopped at the point of having to read music. i just couldnt grasp it. i mastered all the drumming patterns and beats. but just couldnt get the hang of reading music. a bit like some people can read tab music with a guitar but cant read proper music.if that makes sence.
i would love to start up again but dont have the room in my house. my kit is all packed away under the stairs. there's also the point of the noise and finding time to practise. i'll always regret stopping. i should have just continued myself and joined a band. who knows where i'd be now!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

MemoriesofStephanie wrote:

I love the flute, I can't but fall in love whenever I hear it. Same goes for violin and the cello, but unfortunately... I can't play any of them. xD

People so get shocked when I tell them I'm a guitarist and play metal, as I actually look and act pretty girly. xD

It's great you're passionate about music and what you play, I come from a sporty family and telling my mother I want to become a metal musician was a shock for her. xD but she actually didn't mind and supports me still this day. :)

I like hearing classical instruments used in rock and metal music, it's such a great combination and sounds beautiful... so, I'm sure flutes will get their spotlight too. ^_^

Girls who play metal guitar are awesome ; all girls who rock are! You're not alone,there are tons of girls shredding on YT either solo or in bands! :)

Here's Cissie,pwning "Blackened" better than Kirk......just watch on the solo...f--k yeah! Then there's Misstallica,the all-girl Metallica tribute band!

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Honoured Mook

Date:

80svampireninja wrote:

i used to play the drums too,when i was younger. i was quite good at it but stopped at the point of having to read music. i just couldnt grasp it. i mastered all the drumming patterns and beats. but just couldnt get the hang of reading music. a bit like some people can read tab music with a guitar but cant read proper music.if that makes sence.
i would love to start up again but dont have the room in my house. my kit is all packed away under the stairs. there's also the point of the noise and finding time to practise. i'll always regret stopping. i should have just continued myself and joined a band. who knows where i'd be now!

I was the opposite! I could sight-read music, but I had so little rhythm I made my teacher cry. So instead he taught me how to play tuned percussion. And for some reason everybody always thought I was being funny when I said my instrument of choice was xylophone.

Nothing has ever been cringier than the one time I publicly played with an orchestra - we only did one song out of our repertoire and it was the only one where instead of keyboard percussion I had to hit a triangle once a bar for the whole song... the jokes went on for months...

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I NOW PLAY THE HAMMER DULCIMER!

Well, kind of, I can play a scale 8D
It only arrived today and I love it Look and hear it's nice! Excuse my explosion of happy at the end...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkdu2eEoaLc

This signature is definitely not a horcrux.

Regular Crew

Date:

I can play several instruments to a small extent. I was taught to read music aged 5 by my mum and since then I've taken up the violin, clarinet, piano, trumpet and guitar. I can honestly say I haven't got the dedication to pursue any instrument to a high standard but when it comes to reading music, if you were to place a sheet of music in front of me I would have no problems sight reading the piece.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Raspectre wrote:

I NOW PLAY THE HAMMER DULCIMER!

Well, kind of, I can play a scale 8D
It only arrived today and I love it Look and hear it's nice! Excuse my explosion of happy at the end...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkdu2eEoaLc

It sounds beautiful! However,that noise you made at the end was,um,rather disturbing. Scared now.

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
RE: What are you playing?

Necronerconecronecro!

Er yes, so I play piano/keyboard, bass guitar, and I have a reasonable comand of a couple of wee mouthy instruments - ocarina, tin whistle, melodica and such. I can sort of fiddle about with guitars, but I've always wanted to play acoustic, like, properly. I've been in several bands and to put it kindly, I make a mediocre backing vocalist.

My main and most beloved instrument, though, is flute (concert). I didn't do grades but I played a lot of G5/6 pieces, and I was my main bands' go-to soloist. Suffice to say, it used to be a huge, passionate, incredible part of my life.

It came up in conversation on the forum before, but yeah - we seem to have a startling number of latent flautists here! Can we get a headcount, out of curiosity?

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^I play a little bit of flute! I'm not amazing or anything, but I can play it, if that counts?

I posted in here before but never stated which instruments I can play - it's grown since then anyway, but I play guitar, bass (my go-to instrument), piano, flute, clarinet and viola (my beloved).

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^You guys just get awesomer! :)

I wish I could play something [apart from the fool,and indie records far too loudly] but sadly not ; by co-incidence the girl I mentioned above,Cissie,recently posted another cover - an amazing version of "Hysteria" with the bass line added on lead. She makes it look so easy!

Dave.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Er. I'm a fiddler. Of the Irish traditional music sort. My music reading skillz are rudimentary. I do pride myself on being able to pick up music by ear though, and having relative pitch - which (according to google) is the ability to recognise notes and chords with no frame of reference. I guess I would wanna be good at that, considering that's how trad is taught.

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us