Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Thoughts on Wicked?

Seasoned Mookster

Date:
Thoughts on Wicked?

Ok so i've been wanting to read Wicked by Gregory Maguire for ages but have been reluctant to buy it as have have been reading some mixed reviews about it.

The other day i was rummaging in oxfam and saw it for only £2 so i thought i might as well give it a go. I haven't started it yet but was interested to know if anyone else has and what you thought about it??

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've never known what to think of Wicked. I've never understood whether or not it was supposed to be a parody. I read it a good few years ago, so I was probably too young for it, but there was so much ridiculous sex, so many unfitting references that seemed out of place in Oz, that I was on very uncertain ground. I found the whole political 'Animals' and 'animals' thing interesting, but in general I felt confused as to the book's ulterior motive. Hmm; it may benefit from a re-read.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I read it a few years ago and has since become one of my favourite books ever..it was completely different to what i was expecting. Give it a go and see what you think :)

Honoured Mook

Date:

I couldn't get into it, to be honest. I think I gave up after about seventy pages or so. I may have to start it again some time to see if it gets any better. I've never seen the musical though, so can anyone tell me if it's better or worse than the book?

Honoured Mook

Date:

I have it upstairs but I'm kinda meh not arsed to start it!

The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue. Dorothy Parker

Honoured Mook

Date:

Spoiler

Anyway, I didn't like the prose style. It was... boring and unspecific. Other than that, I don't think there's a girl here who wouldn't find Elphaba easy to identify with, and I like what they did with the good witch. I'm on the fence as to whether or not it's worth reading. I guess I'd say "go for it" if you're a Wizard of Oz fan, otherwise don't bother.

"All is not lost; the unconquerable will, and study of revenge,
Immortal hate, and courage never to submit or yield:
And what is else not to be overcome.
That glory never shall his wrath or might extort from me."

-Lucifer, Paradise Los
t

Honoured Mook

Date:

I loved it. I loved it to pieces. Elphaba is the kind of woman we can all understand and the darker take on Oz was HIGHLY appreciated in my book. I love the way Maguire writes, he makes the words jump off the page and the images blossom into your mind like you're actually there. So yeah, I suggest you do yourself a favor and read it. ^^

Regular Crew

Date:

Hmmm... It was oaky, definitely worth the time it took to read it. The prose was nothing extraordinary, and was even at times quite poor, but it was an interesting take on a classic, and made me look at the story in a different way. I also liked how they talked about the Animals/animals, because when I originally watched the Wizard of Oz, I was confused that some animals could talk and some couldn't.

Regular Crew

Date:

I liked Elphaba and everything, and I'm glad I read it. I didn't understand a lot of it though, and it isn't one I'd read again.
Honestly, though, I'd say read it. Because you may end up absolutely loving it. You won't know unless you read it.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Just seen this thread and thought I'd bump it in case anyone else has anything to say about it. My choir are doing a staged medley of the songs so I'm thinking of reading the book to find out the plot, I've wiki'd the plot but I'm singing some of Elpheba's stuff so I want a better idea of her character and journey to make my performance better.

He'll always be there singing songs in my head.

I believe in Sherlock Holmes.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I loved the musical (& shamelessly sing along to the soundtrack on my iPod...all the time) but I had to try reading it twice, found it quite difficult to get into the first time because the writing style was a bit odd (not sure how to describe!) but glad I persivered because I do genuinely love it.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I might give it a go when I have money then. Absolutely loved the songs I did, Defying Gravity is definitely one of the best female/female duets I've heard in a long time. :)

He'll always be there singing songs in my head.

I believe in Sherlock Holmes.

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Oh gosh, I read it before the Musical had even come to the UK, but I didn't like it much. When I saw the musical, I kept going, "I recognise this" until I realised. I definitely preferred the musical. :S

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Honoured Mook

Date:

The place where they perform is AWESOME. They have a robotic dragon & everything, ahh I get all excited thinking about it. Ampersand, I'm like you & I do prefer the musical, I read the books & persevered because I loved the musical so much. Wish they'd make a DVD of it, if they did I'd never get anything done.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

Regular Crew

Date:

I really enjoyed it. The sequel sucked tho.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us