Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Hula Hooping Help

Regular Crew

Date:
Hula Hooping Help

I am starting to realize that there are many things I'd like to do in my life but never had the guts to do.One of them is...hula hooping.yeah.Ever since I was a little girl i loved it,but only rarely got the chance to fiddle around with a hoop at school during gymnastics.Awhile back I watched Captain Maggot and her awesome hula dancing on youtube (part of Emilie Autumn's live performance show) and got hooked again.
I really,really want to get into this and hopefully learn some tricks as well.
However,I have two issues:
One.I am not of the fittest people.In fact,I hardly ever exercise.I used to go to gym a few months ago but I couldn't stand exercising with so many people around me...It made me freak out.So Im not really that fit,even thought normal weight,and i fear this will be a problem with hooping...i am just scared that i will be discouraged if I fail in the beggining.
Two.finding a hoop is sursprisingly more difficult than i thought...there are so many diff sizes and weights.I am a total beginner,i guess i need a begginner hoop right?
But i also want to be able to use it for dancing and tricks and stuff once im good enough.And i dont want to cash out for more than one hoop,ya know...
So,are there any hoopers out there that can give me some advice?Do you know any sites or stores that sell affordable good quality hoops?O rany other hoop-related tips,really,i'd be grateful

thanks mookys!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Hey! I just started hooping a couple of months ago. You definitely don't have to be very fit to begin, don't worry about that. :)

This is the type of hoop I bought to begin, and it suits me fine.
This lady does fantastic hooping tutorials.

Hope that helps!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I used to love hula-hooping! I haven't done it on a regular basis since I was a kid, really, but I was playing with a mate's kid's hula-hoop a wee while ago and it turns out I can still do it! Hurrah! Haha...I'm not sure about which weight you would need...the ones I've used have only ever been the light plastic ones, but I've heard it's easier to get a bit of momentum going with a slightly weighted one. (Is that true?)

Aww, now look what you've done! I really want to join in now! :P I'm going to click that link and look at prices, for when I have some pennies!

Side note: When my Nana was...in her 50s, I think?... she won a hula-hooping contest! The only times she's ever done it was as a child and when playing with her children...and she still won. How awesome is that?! I do hope that hula-hooping skills are genetic...

xxx Eve

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Could you try the hoops out before buying one? I find it much easier to get a momentum going, as Eveacus said, with a weighted hoop, but you want to be careful with them because to begin with you might be a bit sore/bruised. I had one that was filled up with water though, and you could open it up to take water out or put more in, so that might be a good idea for you.
Also, don't worry about being unfit! I've stopped now, but for about a year and a half I hula hooped and I was totally unfit but still managed. I think it's probably the easiest form of exercise to pick up and with some music it's fairly enjoyable too. Good luck :)

Harlan :-)

("they" pronouns please, mookyfolk)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned, you will get bruises! They stop appearing after a couple of weeks, apparently it's normal.

Regular Crew

Date:

DirtyMagic,those links are amazing,thanks!If i don't find a good hoop in one of those gym supply stores around here,I may as well get it off that ebay seller.
I've been watching many hooping videos and tutorials,sometimes i close my eyes and try to move my body pretending i'm trying to hoop...weird i know!
But the more i search into it,the simpler it seems to be.
And yes,apparently a nice weighted hoop is much easier to work with than those cheap light plastic ones they sell at toy stores and such,as i have learned.
I know that this is wishful thinking but...i have a secret crush on the fire hula hoops.Maybe,some day,in the far far distant future,after endless hours of practice...''daydreams''

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Basically, the larger and heavier the hoop, the slower it will spin and the easier it is to use for the beginner.

Don't worry about not being fit enough- hula hooping is not too strenuous and is amazing for toning up tummies, as I'm sure you know already.

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm really quite good at hula hooping. Not to brag. It's my secret talent :P

But yeah, start with a heavier one or one with water inside, they're easier to use while you're getting used to it!

Facebook: Personal | Public

ModelMayhem

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Now I wanna start hooping too!

Picklechops - splatterer of a thousand scrota! Don't mess with me! - Pickle according to Dave!

Honoured Mook

Date:

I was thinking of taking up hooping soon. I'm not exactly graceful, though, and I wasn't good at it even when I was little, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to fail miserably for the first few weeks. The hoop will probably laugh. This will make me somewhat annoyed, but the good thing about that is that I get stubborn when I'm annoyed and will refuse to give up on it just for the sake of proving that damned hula hoop wrong! >:|

Ah well. I'm looking forward to getting that waist I've always wanted, regardless of the bruises and whatnot. We can be beginner hooping buddies!

His lips were blue.
Well, I guess they were pink, but they looked blue and I couldn't help but notice how they matched his eyes.

Regular Crew

Date:

^^^^^ YAY FOR HOOPING BUDDIES!!!!
I'm going to order my hoop within the next few days (in black,white and uv pink.PIIIIIIIINK!!!!!!!).I iz excited.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Where are you ordering it from? I'm thinking of making my hoop myself, but I do love this one, and this one, too! Currently I'm debating whether or not it's really worth the monies, though. :S

His lips were blue.
Well, I guess they were pink, but they looked blue and I couldn't help but notice how they matched his eyes.

Regular Crew

Date:

I'm most likely getting it from a site called flamesngames.co.uk...it's actually the same company in the link that DirtyMagic posted above.I did some research,apparently around 20 euros (25-30 dollars ?) is a good price for a standard hoop.these two ones you linked are so pretty!!
I assume it's the extra decorations and such that make prices differ.
If don't think I would have the courage to try and make my hoop...I am a diy person but the thought of doing it the wrong way scares me so much,lol.So I'll take the easy route and buy it.I guess it's worth the money,given that if you take good care of your hoop being careful not to scratch/bend it or keeping it thrown over in some corner,you could go on using it for years.

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us