Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Coping with the cold; a mooky guide to staying toasty when it's chilly.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
RE: Coping with the cold; a mooky guide to staying toasty when it's chilly.

Besides the ones already listed I have to say vitamin pills, well at least for me.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

akiamaya_ wrote:
  • Don't eat spicy food too much, spicy food is used in hot countries to cool off because it makes your body think that you are too hot and cools you down, even though you're actually not.

Wow, I never knew that!

I think I need to invest in some thermals. cry

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^I wore a thermal top under my uniform today and it did wonders, I'de certainly recommend it.

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

I wonder if there is such a thing as a thermal strapless bra...

I am going to a ball tomorrow, that lasts until 4am. I am going to be freezing. Thankfully, my dress is full length, so I will be wearing two pairs of woolly tights, and my Doc Martens, underneath!

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I'm sure we had a thread like this last winter too, but nevermind.

I am disappointed in you though. None of you have mentioned wearing a woolen cap or something to protect your head. The first and foremost rule in the cold is KEEP YOUR HEAD WARM. Your body will ALWAYS send the heat to your head to keep your precious brain safe. Your fingers and toes will freeze and fall off before your head feels truly cold, but that is where you loose the body heat.

You keep your head snug and well insulated, you can cope with a lot colder environment than you'd otherwise could.

Btw, it's minus 26 centigrades here now, brrrr! On the positive side, everything looks like my avatar.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Hat and scarf are very important indeed! I was more thinking about indoor warmth really, but you are right Irilar! My parents were constantly telling me to wear a hat when I was younger, for that precise reason! Keeping your neck warm is important too, for keeping your health in the winter.

Mind you, I can't talk. I am currently suffering from a massive cold, and tonsilitis. Bleurgh.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Yeah, I was thinking about indoor warmth more too. Silly me, I have a medium-sized hat collection, I always wear a hat to go out in the cold. Actually I carry a hat most of the year, in case I need to spontaneously accessorise, even if it's not cold. 'Feeling down? Put on a beret' should be my motto (I have four berets).

I wouldn't wear a hat for keeping my head warm indoors though, it would make my head sweat and lead to premature hair washing.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I frequently wear a woollen cap at night when sleeping. Otherwise I'd be seriously ill after those days I can't be bothered/don't have time heating my bedroom.

To keep warm inside there is three options the way I see it:

a. Have a well built, properly insulated house with good heating systems (definitively the best option)

b. wear a woolen cap inside.

or

c. move south. It have to be far south I think. From what I hear, most Europeans fail epically on point a.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Bit of a weird one, but working 5 days a week in a really warm coffee shop with machines and grills and running around like a headless chicken really keeps you warm!

'Driving My Tea' Since 22.02.2011

Honoured Mook

Date:

I love my snuggie! (:
and heating pads...
OH! and electric blankets.

Lights Fires in the Genitals of Mooks Everywhere.

Tumblr

Facebook

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Bed socks!

They keep your feet nice and toasty during the night so you don't get chillblains or anything else equally as unpleasant.

I am a socialite, an artist, a poet.

Lady Moustache of Mooky

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

My mother bought me an electric blanket. It is the best thing that's happened to be in a long time.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I really, really, really want an electric blanket.
The only other way I've found to avoid getting into a freezing cold bed is to just not leave it. :D

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ My mother gave me an electric blanket for my birthday...stupidly, I offered it to my sister-in-law [who has back problems] because I'd just bought a hot water bottle and wanted to keep the bills down.

In hindsight, this was the WORST DECISION EVER :(

Honoured Mook

Date:

I used most of this advice.

And still I'm ill.

My immune system is just awful.

- Hannah Belle.

I hear the roar of a big machine,
Two worlds and in between,
Hot metal and methedrine,
I hear empire down.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Layers, and lots of them.

For the past to weeks I have tended to go to uni in tights, long socks, leggings, tracsuit bottoms, jeans or a long skirt, two tshirts, two jumpers, and a hoodie and/or a coat.

Gaining weight is also good for insulation.

Hot food and drinks warm you up from the inside. Thermoses are good.

At home I have two radiators in my room (north facing, huge window, big room, brilliant for summer), and one of them is portable. I line it up against the other radiator and make a blanket fort in the space between. I haven't caught fire and died yet, but it does make me very sleepy.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

- Wear two pairs of socks.
- Wear shoes with good grip if it's icy.
- Drink plenty of hot drinks.
- Close all the doors in the house to prevent heat from escaping.
- Put your fire/heater on low early on in the morning. We do this to save money as it means we suddenly don't get cold and have to turn the fire right up.

PandaPrincess~!

Facebook :)

Tumblr :)

Etsy :)

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I love my thermal food jar, and my thermal flasks. :) Hot food and drink on the go.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Man, it's c-c-c-c-cold here the last few days. Last night was -40 degrees celsius. I just stayed in bed, haha.

"All is not lost; the unconquerable will, and study of revenge,
Immortal hate, and courage never to submit or yield:
And what is else not to be overcome.
That glory never shall his wrath or might extort from me."

-Lucifer, Paradise Los
t

Regular Crew

Date:

Why hasn't anyone mentioned earmuffs yet?Big fluffy balls keep yer ears warm.hehe
I need to get meself a pair,but i can't find them anywhere:(

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Look online, I have an awesome pair of black skeleton jack ones from blue banana.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

wrapping your self in tin foil! its not very practical but it is cosy! i did this while sitting on the sofa with a hot water bottle and about 5 blankets :P
im such an old lady!

-- Edited by Florie on Wednesday 16th of March 2011 01:41:04 AM

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Regular Crew

Date:

My old Edwardian terraced house does need a lot of work to get it insulated properly - even the double-glazed windows let drafts in *sigh*
Until I can afford that, I'm doing the best I can with heavyweight curtains. Apparently if you can fit bookshelves on walls that look outwards, that provides a better amount of insulation than having them against internal walls. I've been able to do that in my bedroom, at least. I've also got some of that reflective foil to go behind my radiators, and of course there's things like draft excluders under doors, making rag rugs, etc.
The nice thing about having a small house is that at least it's not too difficult to fill up each room with clutter ........... er ........... I mean important and useful stuff that I will find a use for one day!

Outside, I am trying to grow climbers against the walls for both insulation in the cold and a bit of natural cooling in summer. Unfortunately, the latest cold snap killed off my passion flower plant so I'll have to look for something else that can handle low temperatures :S

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Speaking of cold, here's a pointless weather update: it freaking poured today for the first time in months. The windscreen wipers on my car had no effect and my brakes were soaked. There were rivers in the road. I got wet (umbrella is pointless when getting out a car) and just about froze my arse off. Just as well I know how to drive through floodwater or I would've swamped the old man's (my car) radiator.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us