Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Ok, Duke of Edinburgh question...

Seasoned Mookster

Date:
Ok, Duke of Edinburgh question...

Hi. smile I've started year 12 this year, and my school offers the opportunity to do the Duke of Edinburgh gold award. Problem is though, there's always loads of people wanting to do it, but only a couple of teachers are willing to run it. So they can only have 16 people involved because of supervision issues and such. They said on the letter "In order to select the most suitable candidates you are required to write a statement (200 words max) saying why you are suitable, what experience you have had in the outdoors and why you should be considered for this award."

So, I've written it, but I'm wanting opinions. How should I tie it off? Is there anything you'd change or add? Any help would be lovely. smile

"I believe I am suitable for the Duke of Edinburgh Award because I am a responsible, hardworking and dedicated person who loves outdoor pursuits. I think that doing the award will help me to become a well rounded person by introducing me to new skills, and I think that the volunteer work will broaden my perspective of life.

"When I was a Guide I volunteered on many residential conservation weekends in Grindleford and I also completed my Baden Powell Award. The conservation weekends were with guides from my unit, but the Baden Powell Award weekend was with guides from all over Derbyshire. While I was at a water weekend at Trent Lock I worked as part of a team to erect our tent and cook meals, and led my group during a raft-building activity.

"I often go Geocaching with my family, which involves walking and using a GPS to look for hidden containers ("caches"). I have been to Whitehall Outdoor Pursuits centre twice, and while there I participated in team activities like orienteering, and also activities like kayaking, cross-country cycling, rock climbing, team-building challenges, potholing and hiking."

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Our school had the opposite problem, not many people wanted to do it and people kept dropping out.

What you've written sounds great, you could always add something about being good at teamwork and enthusiastic to learn new skill.

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Thanks for your help! smile I added that, sort of twisted it into a mini-conclusion at the end, and got rid of a few words to keep it below the word count (Well, working by the principal that if it's hyphenated it's only one word, not two! ;P)

It now reads:

"I believe I am suitable for the Duke of Edinburgh Award because I am a responsible, hardworking and dedicated person who loves outdoor pursuits. I think that doing the award will help me become a well-rounded person by introducing me to new things, and I think the volunteer work will broaden my perspective of life.

"When I was a Guide I volunteered on many residential conservation weekends in Grindleford and I completed my Baden Powell Award. The conservation weekends were with guides from my unit, but the Baden Powell weekend was with guides from all over Derbyshire. While I was at a water-sports weekend I worked as part of a team to erect our tent and cook meals, and led my group during a raft-building activity.

"I often go Geocaching with my family, which involves walking and using a GPS to look for hidden containers (caches). I have been to Whitehall Outdoor Pursuits centre twice, and while there I participated in team activities like orienteering, and also kayaking, cross-country cycling, rock climbing, team-building challenges, potholing and hiking. I am eager to learn new skills, and I hope to be able to do this by taking part in the award."

I'll go print that now. =)

Have any Mooks done the DofE award? Have you got any advice on stuff?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've done all the expedition things for bronze award, but I'm still finishing everything else. As for advice pack as little as possible, trust me the rucksacks are heavy and you have to take them a long way. If you're doing it in the summer bring suncream and a sun hat. If you have any pumps or anything they can be good to put on at the campsite so you can take your boots off. Hope and pray it doesn't rain, bit if it does, make sure you secure your tent properly and double check that it's fully waterproof (even if it says it is, don't sleep at the edge). And that's all I can think of.

We had horrible weather on both the practise and actual expedition. On the practise it was about 28C the hottest day of the year and on the actual expedition it was tipping it down and exeptionally windy. Of the two it was better to walk in the rain but camp in the sun.

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Thanks for the help. I got in! biggrin I'm a bit disappointed though, because my two friends didn't. =/ I suppose I'll have to hang around with the people that I'm on speaking terms with.

Also, thanks for the advice. We have a training weekend on the 15th October, where we'll be camping at an outdoors activity centre, doing high & low rope courses, first aid practice, and navigation practice, so it might come in handy. smile

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

well done! I haven't any experience of it, but two of my friends have and really enjoyed it.

I'd choose freedom over safety because I'd rather die standing than live on my knees.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

It'll maybe be a good opportunity to get to know people you wouldn't normally speak to...

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Spikeyfaerie wrote:

It'll maybe be a good opportunity to get to know people you wouldn't normally speak to...

Yeah, I suppose so. Like, I didn't have anyone to sit with in Biology a couple of weeks ago so I sat with a couple of my friend's friends, and it's been going ok. smile It might be the same with this. Especially since we'll all be thrown together in teamwork excersises and stuff. =)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^This is all very true but just make sure you don't get stuck in a group with someone you're likely to argue with or disagree with on a lot of things.

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Honoured Mook

Date:

Too many people?? Actually, to be fair this was the same in my college. But we had a waiting list because about 1/3 of people don't last long in it! People always drop out of it. I didn't fortunately :D. Such painful treks! But yeah very helpful overall and rewarding morally. I like what you have written and i agree with Inky on the add/changes

"Wanna do something fun? Wanna go to honeydukes?" "I can't go to honeydukes, i'm on a no sugar diet. GOD HERMIONE YOU'RE SO STUPID!"

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us