Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: WAISTED. All corset threads here.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
I love corsets.

Okay so the last post was ages ago but oh well, I love to talk about corsets.

I've been wearing corsets since I turned about 13, not real ones then but I started to wear steel-boned one since I was about 14 going on 15, and I love them.
I started training my waist up the start of '08 and all I had to do was wear them for long periods of time and slowly getting smaller ones, I had to do it gradully becuase I have a broad ribcage but my ribs have slowly but surely started to taper in to a 'conish' shape.
I can get my waist over 6 inches smaller than my natural size, currently, but suffering from major weightloss has pushed me back a bit.

No matter what, I avoid underbust corsets!!! My boobs appear to be crazy then, there already big so no need for that element of it!

My next plan is to get an 18th century style one, but tightlacing will be less drastic then I reckon.

"Everyone is a friend, until they prove otherwise."

"You can be insane and still be a good person." - EA

Regular Crew

Date:
RE: Tightlacing

Don't have any links, but from what I've been told (I started tightlacing about 3 months ago.) Wear it for at least 12 hr.s, at most 23 hr.s (an hour for strengthening exercise and bathing). You can wear i to sleep, but I'd recommend using an old one for sleeping rather than a newer one or one you wear out. It will make it difficult, or more likely uncomfortable to eat large meals and carbonated drinks. Not sure how soon you see effects. It depends on if you're also trying to lose weight as well.

Regular Crew

Date:

I love the look of corsets and I'm desperate to get one but they're all so damn expensive! I just don;t have that kind of money. Does anyone know a cheaper place I can get one? x x

Honoured Mook

Date:

If you're after a good steel boned corset, chances are you're unlikely to get out of it cheap :( I got a nice aesthetic corset from Lip Service that was about $120AUD but it's not steel boned, so is useless for anything other than looking good :D

The only place I can really recommend for corsets is Gallery Serpentine (www.galleryserpentine.com.au). I'm getting my wedding corset and skirt from there :D They're fantastic quality but still pricy

Regular Crew

Date:

Good cheap corset... I got with timeless-trends.com
They're not custom fit and they're not the highest quality out there, but it's still pretty high quality, they are steel boned and so far I've been wearing mine for at least 12+ hr.s a day for about 3 months and I've only had to make one itsy bitsy repair (mostly because I wasn't loosening it enough when I was taking it off).
They sell them for $99 USD, and sometimes they go on sale for $75 USD if they were returned or something. (Right now they have a few on sale.) They're really good quality for their price. A lot better than the other $99 corset I bought by 'Shaper Corset' from Amazon. That one came apart so fast it isn't even funny. And I only wore it when I went out! (aka about 6 hr.s a day max.)

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
So the corset is on layby what now?

I have found the most lovely corset for $355 and it looks great on me I have to say! I was just wondering if any of you girls had any tips for me? as its my first corset I trust your imfo a lot more then a would trust a shop assistants!
I am hoping to put up a photo of me it:)

The universe is like one be old book. Full of chapters. Humans are but a "page"

Honoured Mook

Date:

It sounds amazingly expensive. Post a pic so we can all see it?

Voltaire -

"The best way to become boring is to say everything."

Nami, the brutal Mook.

[Tumblog][Facebook][DeviantArt][Vampirefreaks]†

Honoured Mook

Date:

Wow $355 that should be some corset. You must be so happy you've been dying for a corset for ages.

Regular Crew

Date:

It's good to hear you got a good quality corset. When I hear people say 'I got a £25 corset!!' It makes me sad.
I'm sure you where given this advice by shop assistants, but when you take off the corset, DO NOT undo it with the hooks on the busk when there is full pressure on it, otherwise it can ruin the boning. When you undo it, carefully loosen the laces, then undo the busk when there is less pressure on it. If you take any advice of mine, this is the most important thing! =D

When you first wear you corset, it isn't a good idea to pull it to the tightest it can go. It needs to get used to your body shape and you need to get used to the feel of it. I generally wear mine underneath a loose blouse for a day and you can get used to it.

Corsets should rarely be washed (and if they are washed it should be dry cleaned) so if you are tightlacing or planning on wearing it for a long period of time, it may be a good idea to invest in a corset liner. Or even just wear a strappy top underneath or something.
Hope this helps! Corsets are great, you'll be addicted in no time ;)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I cant wait to see the pic.
Corsets are so beautiful and timeless. I couldn't pull one off though -too skinny and flat chested. :(

Honoured Mook

Date:
yet another corset thread

Hey, I allways see so many mentions of corsets on this forum, and I was wondering why people wear them. Are they more of a fashion statement, or do you actually wear them under things to make you thinner? Maybe their less common in the US, but I've never seen someone wear one. Would a teen be able to wear it to a party or would that be weird.

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

Corsets are worn for a number of reasons:
- To look thinner.
-Spice up an outfit.
-Fancy dress
-Waist training.

plus they look fantabulous!!

You can find and article on corsets here, and a guide to wearing them here .

(Member of The Facebook Sexist Group Eliminating Squad)

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

People wear corsets for different reasons. I like them because they are pretty and give you a pretty shape. I don't wear them under my clothes... Usually over a shirt or something, actually. Most people don't like to hide them.
I live in the US too. Corsets are not exactly mainstream... Of course, where I live, people wear clothes from mall stores, and Hot topic is about as "alternative" as it gets -_-;

Of course you can wear one to a party!
Whether it is "wierd" or not is a dumb cultural construct, and should only be taken into concern if you are running for office, or in the middle of a sorority rush... I know all about that second one... I rushed for a women's music fraternity, and they didn't accept me because I'm alternative...

Here is my blog.

Honoured Mook

Date:
RE: So the corset is on layby what now?

Wow, expensive corset. Mine was $330, and that was custom-made and included postage. But it sounds like it should be good quality, and if it fits you properly, no worries. I can't really offer any more sensible advice on top of what's already here, so all I can say is: learn to breath in it before you wear it in public =)

I am seriously beginning to doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion

Honoured Mook

Date:
RE: yet another corset thread

I bought a corset because I love the look, and I wanted one to wear to my formal (I guess you'd call it a "prom" in America).

It would be perfectly acceptable to wear one to a party; those are the only places I wear mine these days. You can get ones to wear under clothes but if it's pretty and you love it as much as I love mine, you may as well show it off. Mine's an overbust with removable straps, so I just wear it in place of a top, and it looks fab. You can pretty much wear one whenever or wherever you want (okay, not totally, but you get the idea, right?).

I am seriously beginning to doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Yeah, I was more just worried it would be considered inaproprate, as I'm 15.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

If you think it's too revealing, wear it over another kind of top :)

Here is my blog.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
RE: So the corset is on layby what now?

victorian nightmares wrote:

It's good to hear you got a good quality corset. When I hear people say 'I got a £25 corset!!' It makes me sad.
I'm sure you where given this advice by shop assistants, but when you take off the corset, DO NOT undo it with the hooks on the busk when there is full pressure on it, otherwise it can ruin the boning. When you undo it, carefully loosen the laces, then undo the busk when there is less pressure on it. If you take any advice of mine, this is the most important thing! =D

When you first wear you corset, it isn't a good idea to pull it to the tightest it can go. It needs to get used to your body shape and you need to get used to the feel of it. I generally wear mine underneath a loose blouse for a day and you can get used to it.

Corsets should rarely be washed (and if they are washed it should be dry cleaned) so if you are tightlacing or planning on wearing it for a long period of time, it may be a good idea to invest in a corset liner. Or even just wear a strappy top underneath or something.
Hope this helps! Corsets are great, you'll be addicted in no time ;)

†I cant thankyou enough for that advise :)

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

AWOL wrote:

Wow, expensive corset. Mine was $330, and that was custom-made and included postage. But it sounds like it should be good quality, and if it fits you properly, no worries. I can't really offer any more sensible advice on top of what's already here, so all I can say is: learn to breath in it before you wear it in public =)

It really good qualitly I even met the maker. Its almost like it was made for my body!

Honoured Mook

Date:
RE: yet another corset thread

Calliope wrote:

If you think it's too revealing, wear it over another kind of top :)

Mmmhmm, my friend wore hers (it was black with traditional sailor type tattoo print and red trimming) over a simple black dress. It looked fab. For a less "adult" look, have a look here http://www.limebarb.com/STORE/front-store.htm† - there are some gorgeous corsets on there which would feel quite at home in a 15 year old's wardrobe.

If you like the look but don't want to commit (they can be pretty pricey), loads of high street stores have corset-inspired basques which could ease you into corsets if you don't feel ready.

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute." ~ Rebecca West

Honoured Mook

Date:

ohhhhhhh pretty!!!!!! Thanks Cakeordeath
To bad they cost so much, I'll have to start saving if I ever want one. Assuming my parents let me out of the house wearing it.

Honoured Mook

Date:

drama hippie wrote:

ohhhhhhh pretty!!!!!! Thanks Cakeordeath
To bad they cost so much, I'll have to start saving if I ever want one. Assuming my parents let me out of the house wearing it.

†That's what big coats are for! biggrin

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute." ~ Rebecca West

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I love to wear corsets, they give me an amazing shape! I started wearing them because I damaged my back and I wore a surgical one, at the age of 13, and I loved it so I wore it more often an at 15 I bought a real one (made-to-measure),in the UK it's not common at all, the only people I've seen wear real ones are Goths and alternatives.

I wear mine to 1. make me feel good, becuase my posture is corrected.
2. make my shape look smoother and more curvy
3. complete an outfit
4. support my boobs, a corset is the best bra someone can have as they lift and support.

I wear mine pretty regularly so I have a few of them to stop them from dieing on me.

I always wear something underneath, either a t-shirt or a lining, as having the corset against bare skin will result in damaging the corset and your skin.

It annoys me when 'mundanes' ie. chavs complain that they can't breathe in their plastic cheapy ones.....oh well.

"Everyone is a friend, until they prove otherwise."

"You can be insane and still be a good person." - EA

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

on the website cake or death suggested I nearly hyper-ventilated over the 7th corset down. Sadly I can have a corset because:
1 expensiiiiive!
2 I have no boobs to lift and support
3 As if my mum would let me wear one.

Actually my mum might let me wear one - only if it was to her taste though. :D

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I love corsets! Only have a cheap one but like other people I use it to finish off an outfit. Currently eyeing some nice ones up on honour.co.uk because they're cheap and apparently decent quality, yay! (note: site not work-safe)

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Calliope wrote:

Whether it is "wierd" or not is a dumb cultural construct, and should only be taken into concern if you are running for office, or in the middle of a sorority rush... I know all about that second one... I rushed for a women's music fraternity, and they didn't accept me because I'm alternative...

Really? I'm not entirely sure what a sorority or a sorority rush is, but what a bunch of narrow-minded bastards!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I want:

this, because of the bows
this, for the same reason
and this because it's ridiculous

and then I want ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD so I can buy them.

-- Edited by clockbox at 20:19, 2009-01-22

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

For me it seems that I'll probably learn to make them myself before I manage to save enough money. sigh.

I want it all, and I want it now :(

-- Edited by Irilar at 20:52, 2009-01-22

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Honoured Mook

Date:

cute 50$ one. Now I convince my mom that I will not look trampy.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

clockbox wrote:

Calliope wrote:

Really? I'm not entirely sure what a sorority or a sorority rush is, but what a bunch of narrow-minded bastards!

A sorority, or sisterhood, is a secret society one can gain entry through by means of a rush, or a sort of bonding period over events like games, tea, socials and the like. It's a very common thing at American Universities. Once you are a member and trained as a member, you are in the sisterhood for life. They are community activists. In the case of the sorority (or rather women's fraternity) that I rushed for, they are all musicians. If you are in, there are huge benefits, whether you need assistance financially, socially, or professionally...

The downside is, the sisters sometimes tend to idealize a certain "mold". I didn't think this would be the case for a league of talented musicians, but evidently, I was wrong... Yes, they are definitely a narrow-minded league of people...

Here is my blog.
«First  <  1 2 3 412  >  Last»  | Page of 12  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us