Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: What's wrong with Fishnets?

Honoured Mook

Date:
What's wrong with Fishnets?

Renting-a-Rant here.

Last week I was in Exeter (The city closest to my town) to have a nice little shop. To start the summer off. As i was meeting a bunch of my friends later on.
I went into the good ol' Ann Summers first as there was a small sale on underwear. (I found a bra that actually fit! (£30 all the way down to £8!)
I saw that the Hold ups were on offer aswell with their general Lushness and bought a pair with the line going up the back (Dead classy!)

I was way to anxious to wear them when i got home. So i thought i would try them on in the Ladies toilets (To also see if they fit because i every time i buy a pair, theyre too tight and rip... you probably know the story all too well)

The minute i came out of the toilets with my knee length Blck/wht Polka-Dress and Fishnets. I noticed a change in the general public:   Frowns, Disappointed looks, scowls, and general disgust. (this was quite a few... not all might i add)  I might be paranoid or wrong here... But I spent 2 hours in the town with Jeans and then saw instant change without.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH FISHNETS?!!?

Why are people instantly seen as whores when wearing Tights as awesome as these? I know it's not worth my breath caring, but i'm kind of sick of it.
If i didnt wear the fishnets, and just walked around with my dress and bare legs. You could guarantee no one would have an opinion. Has the world gone mad?!

What are your general opinions?

"Wanna do something fun? Wanna go to honeydukes?" "I can't go to honeydukes, i'm on a no sugar diet. GOD HERMIONE YOU'RE SO STUPID!"

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I know right?
I have a fishnet arm-warmer and I always wear it and I usually get negative reactions from people. Last October my cousin called it stripper clothing because she saw a stripper wearing fishnet tights in a movie. I wish people weren't so dim-witted and close-minded.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

Honoured Mook

Date:

this is so true! It's like, people are like so lazy to wake up and smell the coffee! *goes to make one*
"i saw that in a movie". Is depending on the media to build up your general views of the world and people around you. Prejudgmental

"Wanna do something fun? Wanna go to honeydukes?" "I can't go to honeydukes, i'm on a no sugar diet. GOD HERMIONE YOU'RE SO STUPID!"

Honoured Mook

Date:

Yes, the world has gone mad *nods sincereley*. Unfortunateley, awesome people like us are just too awesome for people like them. I guess alot of people like to stereotype certain stuff, and whores and fishnets seem to go pretty well together in their heads, I'm afraid :/ Personally, I don't get it, I love fishnets - theyre awsome! Just keep in mind that theyre the ones missing out n sharing your awesomeness, not the other way round, it's pitiful, on their part, really. I like to feel sorry for their close-minded ignorant little selves. Ignore the bastards :)

Regular Crew

Date:

Ah - the fishnet debate I have had numerous times with my dear mother.
See, she did come up with quite the explanation: fishnets are thought provocative because of the idea behind it.
Vulgar woman and prostitutes were often depicted wearing fishnets - you get the point.
Although, if you stopped people and asked them what you just asked right now, they'd never EVER look down at a woman wearing fishnets again because they'd realize their prejudice was pretty lame.
I love fishnets, and if people have something against them then so be it, I don't necessarily approve of the tie or granny shoes they are wearing, that doesn't make me look at them all disgusted and shocked (just makes me stare at the particular item a bit longer... but discretely none the less.)
KEEP WEARING THEM AND SHOW THE WORLD THEY'RE MISSING OUT.
They're probably just looking and dissing because they'd love to wear the same thing, except they don't dare.

Honoured Mook

Date:

People are jealous of your awesome fishnets and kickass legs and sheer confidence, and wish they were as cool as you. Thiis is my explanation for everything.

Also, fishnets are way comfy. I used to have a pair before I ripped them, and wow. They are probably the most comfy kind of tights.

If the world is ending, we're throwing the party.

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

ozymandias wrote:

People are jealous of your awesome fishnets and kickass legs and sheer confidence, and wish they were as cool as you.

Definitely agree with this. Not many people have the guts to pull off (or on) fishnets.
I have a gorgeous pair of ripped hold up fishnets which I'm going to wear to a lunch at my Mum's theological college (she's training to be a vicar) on Saturday. I'm probably going to get doused in holy water. I don't really care though biggrin 

Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor, rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've got quite a few pairs of fishnets, and I used to wear them all the time during the day and never got funny looks at all. Funnily enough that changes if you have toddler with you!

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

When I bought a pair of fishnet tights when I was 15, my mother was furious that her daughter was becoming a tramp. That was until I wore them with a Wonder Woman t-shirt and a decent-length skirt and she had to apologise to me.

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've never ever ever had a problem with wearing fishnets, ever...

Picklechops - splatterer of a thousand scrota! Don't mess with me! - Pickle according to Dave!

Honoured Mook

Date:

Fishnets are designed to be sexy; something about the pattern highlights the shape of the woman's leg or something. That's why you often see burlesque performers wearing them.
Sexy doesn't mean tarty though. If you were wearing them with hot pants and thigh-high boots, fair enough, look disgusted, but under a knee-length dress?? Sounds like a good look to me.
I love fishnets and wear mine quite a lot to give an edge to otherwise girly outfits.

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat." Rebecca West

Come and stalk me on my blog, or on Twitter

Baby Mook

Date:

When I get older and my legs get longer (xD) I was gonna wear fishnets under shorts and shit.. but like now that I think about it, imagining me wearing it.. I know people are gonna give me shit. Everyone is so immature now, you can't wear hardly anything without people referring it to prostitution and hoes and shit. Like makeup. I don't wear big makeup anymore coz now its referred to as 'slutty'

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Louise, I don't think you should let what other people think stop you from looking and dressing the way you want to. I never have, and although it gets you down at first you become more and more confident and end up adopting a "fuck you" attitude. One of my friends (who, to be honest, dresses like a boy) once said "What the fuck are you wearing?" to me. My reply? "It's called a dress, if you wore one once in a while you wouldn't look like a butch dyke". Of course this is someone I've known for years and insulting each other is part of our friendly banter!

Picklechops - splatterer of a thousand scrota! Don't mess with me! - Pickle according to Dave!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Haha, I got called a whore on formspring for wearing fishnets. But it's okay because I actually own an erotic massage parlour. Ask Vic, she works there.

I think stupid people purposely look for reasons to be ignorant or something. Tutting at someone in fishnets is scraping the barrel really. Get a life.

Personally I've never had hassle for wearing fishnets or if I have I probably just thought it was for my whole outfit in general. My mum hasn't got a a problem. She got me my first fishnets along with a tartan miniskirt when I was nine so...yeah. :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I reckon a brigade of mooks should go out wearing fishnets and then go and help some old ladies cross the street. :)

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Picklechops wrote:

I've never ever ever had a problem with wearing fishnets, ever...

Thankfully, I can say the same. They were my favourite kind of tights when I was about 13 - and my mum isn't always the most approving of mothers, but she was never bothered by my fishnet wearing. I think she was just amused by the fact that I thought I was punk.

It makes me sad to hear some of you have had problems though.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I also work in Tahlia's massage parlour. She's a very good boss, I don't even have to do anal if I don't want to =D

Honoured Mook

Date:

Tahlia, can I come and work for you? I can't find a job at all in my home town, and I think a massage parlour would look very good on my CV.

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat." Rebecca West

Come and stalk me on my blog, or on Twitter

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Fishnets are awesome.

I wish I had more to add but I don't! It's silly that people wouldn't care about bare legs yet give dirty looks over legs that are slightly more covered up! But people are strange. Who cares... keep wearing them :D

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

My mum used to say I looked "like a tart" in fishnet tights, but know she doesn't care if I wear it, but it on my arms or legs.

Life Support     So many pins I always prick my finger

The Alien in the North!

Honoured Mook

Date:

little charlie wrote:

I reckon a brigade of mooks should go out wearing fishnets and then go and help some old ladies cross the street. :)

That, my friend, is a simply spiffing suggestion. This must happen.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

My mother appreciates fashion, and used to wear stockings, fishnets, and fishnet stockings in her youth, so has no problem with me wearing fishnets. For her, the only rule when it comes to dressing is that it must be appropriate. If I wore minishorts and a tight top with fishnets, she'd shoot me - but she'd probably shoot me for wearing minishorts and a tight top anyway.

My father, on the other hand, is the other extreme. He has extremely conservative views, and wouldn't let me out of the house wearing anything that had a hole in it, no matter how tiny. As much as the freedom of expression my mother allows me is nice, it's also nice to know that, if my dad picks my outfit, the general public will have no problem with it.

Family discussions aside, I've encountered a few disapproving looks from people when I've worn fishnets, despite how modestly I (usually) dress. However, when people look down on me for something as petty as wearing fishnet tights, I have to say I listen to my mother's advice, which is the same as the Mooks' - if people look down on others wearing fishnets, then they are obviously very narrow-minded. They are designed to look good, for the reasons AcidKitty said. What is wrong with wanting to look good? Looking good does not make you a prostitute!

I am a socialite, an artist, a poet.

Lady Moustache of Mooky

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

You are are all welcome to to work in my erotic massage parlour. There are full shower facilities since you will get oily and no uniform policy apart from mandatory fishnets. It really looks good on a CV since you develop your people skills.

And unless you are wearing a crotchless fishnet bodysuit people shouldnt give you looks in public.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I don't particularly like fishnet stockings/tights because I feel too exposed in them. I have a few pairs but I always wear them over purple or red tights. I don't understand why people have problems with fishnets though, it's ridiculous. Just wear them if you feel like it, people who make judgements based on appearances are not worth your time anyway. (:

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Mookface (mod)

Date:

electrosexual wrote:

And unless you are wearing a crotchless fishnet bodysuit people shouldnt give you looks in public.

But but, that's my favourite outfit :(

(that's not actually a joke, but public wear would be a bit over the top :P )

(^ I originally typed 'pubic wear would be a bit over the top'. How terribly apt.)

I bloody love fishnets. People often also associate them with the goffik vibe as well as the prozzie vibe. Oh joy! Twice the prejudice for them to choose, twice the amount of negativity to come back to them.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Maybe people have a problem with them because they're not being used for fishing.

OMFG WE'RE DOING IT WRONG!!!! *takes off tights and starts to fashion a fishing device*

Mookface (mod)

Date:

OH I SEE! I shall put on my stockings and dance in a river, and bring home supper for my family, trapped in the nets.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

We can go fishnetting in Armley Canal in September and catch us teas like proper Yorkshire birds =)

Honoured Mook

Date:

haha! we should take pictures of ourselves in the sea with fishnets on. And motivationally caption ourselves "Fishnets - you're doing it right!" Or something... :P

I'm really glad i made this topic (it would've been discussed before no doubt)
I feel so glad I'm in the same boat :)

*insert image of all the mooks surrounded by Fishnets and wearing fishnets in a fishing boat here*

:D

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

*puts on a sexy fishnet bodysuit and clear plastic heels and hobbles over to Tahlia's erotic massage parlour*

This reminds me of the time I went straight to babysit after school, and I'd worn fishnets to school. My mum had picked me up and caught a glimpse of my legs and went absolutely insane that I had worn them to school, and was going to, God forbid, WEAR THEM AROUND CHILDREN. Turns out both the kids and their mother told me I looked lovely.

The moral of the story is wear fishnets if you want, it's a free world, and if someone doesn't like them, well they don't have to wear them :) Doesn't stop you.

Facebook: Personal | Public

ModelMayhem

Tumblr

1 2 3 4  >  Last»  | Page of 4  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us