Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: BRIGHT, COLOURFUL HAIR.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
Bright hair care

Tips for caring for semi-permanent brightly dyed hair? I use Manic Panic 'Vampire Red' and bleach my hair before dying it.

Any tips for sustaining the colour whilst keeping my hair in good condition would be much appreciated!

Picklechops - splatterer of a thousand scrota! Don't mess with me! - Pickle according to Dave!

Honoured Mook

Date:

Washing your hair in cool (as cold as you can stand) water, putting some dye into your conditioner/hair mask so that you can get a colour touch up and help the condition at the same time. Also, washing your hair less if you can (you can use that dry shampoo stuff if its a little greasy).
Hmmm. thats all I can think off, but there are a lot of bright hair coloured mooks that I'm sure have loads of ideas XD

Mookface (mod)

Date:

I heard it helps to put a little hair dye in your conditioner so you get a top up every time you wash your hair. Don't use Head and Shoulders as it apparently strips the colour?

-- Edited by Antonym on Sunday 7th of February 2010 10:15:54 PM

Honoured Mook

Date:

^Oh yeh, I think clarifying shampoos will strip the colour a lot so its best to avoid them. Like head and shoulders.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Wash your hair as seldom as possible. If you have to use shampoo, only shampoo once and use one that is especially made to not strip away colour. Or baby shampoo? I'll have to try that.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

International Mook of Mystery (mod)

Date:

Or bicarb :D

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Baby shampoo's pretty good for not taking all the colour out :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I use aussie shampoos and conditioners, the shampoo is pretty conditioning so I assume that won't strip as much of the colour of?

Picklechops - splatterer of a thousand scrota! Don't mess with me! - Pickle according to Dave!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

That should be fine. Mixing a little of the dye with your conditioner each time worked excellently for me when my hair was pink, maybe give that a try?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Heat protectors as well before you dry/straighten (if you do) help the colour last as well.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Like everyone else has said, i use a couple of teaspoons of my dye in my shampoo and conditioner, to top up the colour.I also wash my hair in cooler water,not so good in this weather though, brrr!!!
Make sure you use a shampoo and conditioner that is for coloured hair too.
I also use a heat protection spray before i use my hair dryer.
Also try to dye your hair (with the bright colour dye,not bleach) every week as the more you dye it, the more 'topped up' your colour is and it really does stay looking bright all the time.
Also when i dye my ,i wrap clingfilm over it when i'm done and put a towel turban thing on it, i leave it on all night then i rinse it off the next day.The longer you leave the dye on the longer it will last on your hair.This never dries my hair out so i do it all the time :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I can't afford to dye my hair every week!!!!!!!

Regular Crew

Date:

Well, I myself use a sulfate free shampoo.
Normally I would put some of the dye in with my conditioner.
However, the way my hair is cut/dyed right now, I can't put any of that mixture i nthe parts of my hair without it getting everywhere.
SO
I just put regular conditioner in the coloured my hair BEFORE getting in the bath/shower and then I wash my hair gently right before I get outta the shower =]
If you use alot of heat on your hair, I'd recommend picking up one of those protecting sprays =D

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

True it is expensive dying your hair every week... I use Directions hair dye in the shade 'fire' it only costs £3.75 a tub.A bit cheaper than other brands and seems too last well on my hair.
I've got really thick long hair and one tub does me fine :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

It takes one and a half tubs of directions to do my hair, and I use manic panic anyway. None of the directions red shades are dark enough for me, and I don't want to experiment with anymore since poppy red turned my hair bright orange/pink!

I shall try putting a bit of colour into my 3 minute miracle and see how that does me =)

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Oh i see.I try to do mine in the brightest of red shades :)

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

I find that colour protecting shampoos are really gentle, and I don't even dye mine. I don't know whether they are any good on bright bright dye though.

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Mookface (mod)

Date:
Bright Red

I am about to dye my hair with Live XXL Red Passion. This will be the first time I've had red hair in a couple of years... I'm well excited. Photos will be up later ;)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

You better, I bet that colour will look awesome on you.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Ohhhhh will be pretty! Can't wait to see it!

Mookface (mod)

Date:

Success; my hair is red, the bathroom isn't. Photos later when I've let it dry properly and put my face on. I loooove being a redhead!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I can't wait! :D

I have a box of that dye, but I'm saving it until after prom because I have an exam on the same day and I'd rather be studying for it than sorting out my hair. ;)

I am a socialite, an artist, a poet.

Lady Moustache of Mooky

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Woo! I used to use that, and will probably go back to it. Redheads are lurvely.

Mookface (mod)

Date:

It's a nice colour in real life, but in photos it either comes out dark brown or a lot gingerer than it actually is, depending on the lighting. Weirds. Here we go, anyway  - it's also vaguely different colours because I dyed over lowlights :)

-- Edited by Antonym on Friday 26th of March 2010 05:07:58 PM

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Your family are awesome. That IS your family behind, isn't it?

Also YAY HAIR.

Mookface (mod)

Date:

^ heh, actually they are a general rag-tag of strangers/vague acquaintances who are into Ye Olde English traditions, the man in the yellow and the lady in the cloak are my father and auntie though :P

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

omg

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

It looks quite fabulous! And your family look rather swell too.

Facebook: Personal | Public

ModelMayhem

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

That looks really nice, I wish I could put that colour on my hair but it always washes out straight away :(

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Antonym wrote:

It's a nice colour in real life, but in photos it either comes out dark brown or a lot gingerer than it actually is, depending on the lighting. Weirds. Here we go, anyway  - it's also vaguely different colours because I dyed over lowlights :)

-- Edited by Antonym on Friday 26th of March 2010 05:07:58 PM

Looks beautiful! (I see your point about it looking darker,as it appears auburn,not actually red,but it's all good!)

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

1 2 310  >  Last»  | Page of 10  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us