Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Mooncup.

Regular Crew

Date:
RE: Mooncup.

I would love to try the Moocup so badly. I have nothing against period blood or anything, so none of that would bother me. However, (cover your ears if you are faint of heart) I'm VERY small, so tampons hurt. The Mooncup seems to be a lot bigger than tampons. Maybe once I've had a child/become sexually active I'll try it. Until then, smelly ol' pads. 

If you're interested in social justice, feminism, and all things lovely, I suggest checking out my blog! If hyperlinks just aren't your thing, I can be found at masochisticbeaver.tumblr.com! Drop in and leave me a message. It makes my day, I promise!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Knives wrote:

Currently researching the softcups, they recommend even though im slim with no previous babies or anything, that i go up a size because of my height (5'8) anyone else had to do this or come across this?

Nerp, I'm 5"8, no babies, and under 30 and I got the small size. I don't see why you'd need the bigger size just because of your height, but if a reputable source said it, it could be true! 

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Regular Crew

Date:

I've tried the mooncup but didn't like it as I found the cup to be too...soft...it didn't pop open easily enough when inserted. I now use one of a different brand by Lunette which I think is brilliant. I've been using it for a few years now and I wouldn't go back to tampons or pads.

You can get a variety of brands from: http://www.femininewear.co.uk/index.asp
Also there are some reviews or more info: http://menstrualcups.wordpress.com/

~Zoe~

Facebook!

Regular Crew

Date:

im going to try it but people I know use it and say they will never switch back to tampons or pads

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I know I wouldn't! I definitely recommend it. But you may wanna have a couple of pads or tampons on standby for your first few tries, as you may not wanna use it for your whole period while you're still getting used to it.

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

After deciding that I wanted to try a Mooncup years ago, I finally bought one today, and was very excited about trying it, until it actually came to inserting it. It's taken me quite some time, and has been pretty painful, but I've finally got it in, however I can still feel it. I don't know whether it's the stem I can feel (I haven't yet trimmed the stem as I'm too scared to trim it until I know I can definitely take it out),or whether it hasn't popped open, but I have no idea how to rectify that, any suggestions?

Also, I found the pictures here very helpful in showing other folding techniques, neither of the two shown on the leaflet were working for me, (the fold in half style one was too large to just shove in, and I found that the other was was fine til you hit the part where the fold meets the base, where the tapering was too sudden and I couldn't get it any further, and trying lead to it popping open, whilst half in half out, which was incredibly painful).

I'm really scared about trying to take it out now though, as from reading through the entirety of this thread it seems like that's much harder/ painful. I am determined to persevere until I like it though, cause I love the idea.

-- Edited by Inky on Wednesday 16th of October 2013 05:37:31 PM

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Relax. Get a finger up the side to press it away from the vagina wall. Grab with thumb and finer and gently slide it out. Takes a wee bit of practice to get it sitting right, definitely trim the stem, it shouldnt jab into you. I hardly actually need it. If you are used to putting in a tampon it will feel like you arent putting the mooncup in very far at all but it is supposed to sit quite low down/close to the opening as opposed to being high up inside you.

Good luck. I love my mooncup and only have the slightest leakage when i am maaaajorly heavily bleeding (not very often).

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^I think that initially I did have it too high up, as pulling it down a bit did make it a bit more comfortable.
I've managed to get it out, but it was so painful. When you put it in it's folded, so not that big, but taking it out it's expanded to is full size, so is so much bigger, and so it hurt so much more. I don't know if being a virgin has something to do with having so much pain (I assume it must, cause the Mooncup's the biggest thing I've had up there), but I'm hoping that the more times you do it the less painful it becomes.

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I have problems removing the Mooncup too. My method is just to take all the time in the world to gently slide it out, and normally standing / crouching / hovering in the bathtub because the very last bit hurts so much I drop it. I haven't used it very much so far because taking it out puts me off, but with my period due soon I think I'm going to try again. I think it should be okay with my pelvic pain condition because it sits so low (tampons are absolutely agonising for me). I really hope it gets easier the more you do it!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I use my index finger to squash the rim slightly so it's not fully open when I'm taking the cup out. It does get easier the more relaxed you are when you take it out. I've found that my cramps are less than when I used tampons so hopefully it will help you cowl.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

So, I'm using it today and I'm really happy with it! The stem needs a bit more trimming still, but I already chopped quite a bit off last time I used it, which was maybe three years ago now. It takes me fifteen to twenty minutes to get it out, just because my pelvic floor seems intent on keeping it there, but it's a lot less painful to take out that I remember it being. And I really like being able to see my blood in a teeny weeny cup! My mother walked in on me earlier just staring at my blood in the cup and burst out laughing.

It does have a tendency to pop open when it's only half in (I use either the "7" fold or the "origami" fold, from Inky's link), but I have very long nails and so can't get a firm grip on it without the risk of stabbing or pinching myself in the vulva, which was another problem I had taking it out. But that's my problem, not the cup's!

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us