Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Anyone know any lesbian/bi/gay teen books? Or just any good teen books, for that matter

Honoured Mook

Date:
Anyone know any lesbian/bi/gay teen books? Or just any good teen books, for that matter

Fed up of straightness being forced upon me ):

Honoured Mook

Date:

Hmm, Alex Sanchez (sp?) writes teen books about gay teens. I've only ever read Bait, which was decent.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Boy Meets Boy was pretty good, although it was essentially a straight love story with two guys in my view.

A tumblr...

Resident Lord of the Cranberries

Honoured Mook

Date:

Like I said, I'd only read Bait :) Just out of curiosity, how was BMB like a straight love story? Was it a problem with the style he wrote it in, or the way he formed the characters?

Oh, and I stumbled across this,
_teen_books_ Which may be helpful.
Also, one of my fav YA authors, John Green, co- authored a book with David Leviathan which is out, TODAY! called Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

-- Edited by Margo on Tuesday 6th of April 2010 06:48:30 PM

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I don't remember if it tackled any issues... The protagonist's parent's are really supportive. But maybe that's to show that gay love and straight love aren't very different...?

A tumblr...

Resident Lord of the Cranberries

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Big Book of Lesbian Horse Stories.

I hear it is amusing.

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Honoured Mook

Date:

HeHe, thanky yous for replying (:

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The Lesbian Horse Stories book is AMAZING. It sits in our living room waiting for strangers to be amused by it.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

candiclaus wrote:

Big Book of Lesbian Horse Stories.

I hear it is amusing.

Apparently a lesbian horse's favourite position is to 4761* each other. As horses have to count by hitting their hooves on the floor,it takes them some time to ask their partner for it. By which time they are usually too tired,and have to say "Neigh!" to some equine shenanigans. ;)
Spoiler

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Bless you Dave.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Hehe thank you,Candi!

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Regular Crew

Date:

Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite is really good, one of my favourites especially when I was in my late teens. Essentially it's about a gay serial killer. I want to read it again now!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ Her others are wonderful, too. I think Exquisite Corpse might be throwing you in the deep end a little, though, I'd start with Lost Souls or Drawing Blood!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^^ Agreed. Lost Souls is a lot more 'teenaged' because one of the main characters is fifteen, and it's very good at getting into the mind of a gothy teenager. I felt kind of bad for relating to that character so much... ;)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I must read this lesbian horse book! Sounds tres amusing.

Hmm, two books I've read are Good Moon Rising and Sugar Rush.

Good Moon Rising was good, it was more about the predjudice the two main characters went through, but I think it was a realistic if a bit old fashioned book. It was set in the 80's I seem to remember, so you have to think of it in terms of that, which was difficult for me at first.

Sugar Rush was one of the most badly written, trashy, and overall entertaining books I have ever read. It is nowhere near as good as the TV series (which can be found on Youtube by the way!) It was a lot different, actually, and it was interesting to compare the two. It's not like a literary masterpiece or anything, but it kept me hooked. However, there is a sequel to it called Sweet, I think, which is apparently quite good. I have yet to read Sweet.

Facebook: Personal | Public

ModelMayhem

Tumblr

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson. It's a semi-biographical novel about a young girl called Jeanette growing up in a fiercely devout religious community in 1960s Lancashire. It focuses mainly on sexual awakening and the struggle between religion and sexuality but touches on so many other subjects and does so in a fantastic and often very funny way.

Blog

Ask me stuff

Please don't worry lover

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

If you're looking at something a bit more subtle (I wouldn't call it a "gay" book) that profoundly deals with issues of sexuality and gender I'd recommend Let The Right One In.

A book about Swedish pre-teen transgender vampires must be good.

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

LittleRedBee wrote:

Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson. It's a semi-biographical novel about a young girl called Jeanette growing up in a fiercely devout religious community in 1960s Lancashire. It focuses mainly on sexual awakening and the struggle between religion and sexuality but touches on so many other subjects and does so in a fantastic and often very funny way.

I second this suggestion.

Also The Line Of Beauty, by Alan Hollinghurst, which I read when I was fifteen, though it's very much anchored in British political history and might be a bit dry if you're not into that sort of thing.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Gravitation, Its a series that has novels or manga, Its about a gay couple. Its so sweet :3 one of them is so sweet ,and dorky, and ditzy while the other is a straight up jerk ,romance writer, how likes to tease by being all "oh im not gay, I just like to kiss you." though depending on which books you get [some are rated like r or pg 13 xD] there could be some 'scenes' in it I found that out by accident...
 It's also an anime now, if you'd like to watch it instead. (:

Lights Fires in the Genitals of Mooks Everywhere.

Tumblr

Facebook

Regular Crew

Date:

Oh man. If you want a super cavity-inducing gay (or yaoi) manga read Only the Ring Finger Knows. It's only a single volume, so you don't have to go searching around for the next one. It's super sweet and ridiculously adorable.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Boy Meets Boy was just lovely, I really enjoyed it.
And Sugar Rush kicks arse, you can't beat it for trashy fun. Yay for Julie Burchill.

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Anything by Sarah Waters.

Regular Crew

Date:

i know this is not technically a book, but i studied a play called "the laramie project" in drama and was lucky enough to see it preformed. i must warn you it is very confronting. but it helped one of my friends to gather up enough confidence to tell her parents she was gay. worth reading!!!

Be fun and controversial.

Make art.

Make fun of art.

Make history.

Take the piss.

Stand for something interesting.

Take over the world.

Shock. Inspire. Entertain.

Make changes.

Set the rules.

Be fearless.

Be honest.

And have a good time while doing it.

Regular Crew

Date:

Sarah Waters Tipping The Velvet (t.v. version fo it is also awesome), Affinity and Fingersmith are all pretty awesome if you like period love stories.

Honoured Mook

Date:

little charlie wrote:

If you're looking at something a bit more subtle (I wouldn't call it a "gay" book) that profoundly deals with issues of sexuality and gender I'd recommend Let The Right One In.

A book about Swedish pre-teen transgender vampires must be good.

Ooh, I saw part of the film: I didn't know it was a book, too. I'll look out for it.

Honoured Mook

Date:

SaraSunshine wrote:

Gravitation, Its a series that has novels or manga, Its about a gay couple. Its so sweet :3 one of them is so sweet ,and dorky, and ditzy while the other is a straight up jerk ,romance writer, how likes to tease by being all "oh im not gay, I just like to kiss you." though depending on which books you get [some are rated like r or pg 13 xD] there could be some 'scenes' in it I found that out by accident...
It's also an anime now, if you'd like to watch it instead. (:

Oh that really is a good series!! I double recommend this but out of the anime and manga, the manga just gives you so much more in terms of the two main characters relationship. I felt the anime was a bit too rushed.

Honoured Mook

Date:

:D I now have a rather interesting, questionable and large shopping list. Thank you all, I am gateful :)

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

You know what I'd like to see? A book that has a gay/lesbian couple, but that's NOT what the story is about. It's just a fact of the characters life. I think it would be good if homosexuality was seen as more of a normal thing, rather than an 'issue'. Do you know what I mean?

Liv

My Tumblr :)

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ I know exactly what you mean. A book like that truly would make my day.

Regular Crew

Date:

AirportMonkey wrote:

I don't remember if it tackled any issues... The protagonist's parent's are really supportive. But maybe that's to show that gay love and straight love aren't very different...?

It tackled a few issues. The protagonists best friend's parents were very religious, and were very against homosexuality, especially where their son was concerned.

I think mostly it wa trying to show like you said, that gay love and straight love aren't really different. They lived in a very accepting town in the story.

Anna Kiss
1 2  >  Last»  | Page of 2  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us