Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Bleach - what it is and how to use it.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
Bleach - what it is and how to use it.

Yes, that sounds like the bleach. If it's itching it sounds like it won't be suitable to use on your scalp which would need to be done to get all your hair light enough to do the red. What % or volume of peroxide did you get for the bleach? If it's 30 or 40 vol (9% & 12%) it's too strong to be on the scalp.

EDIT: if you are adding a permanent colour then you have to mix to manufacturer's instructions cos not all colours can be mixed with 1.5% peroxide.  If you're just using it with bleach powder to then put semi-permanent over then it'll be fine.

-- Edited by Spikeyfaerie on Wednesday 1st of May 2013 03:57:44 PM

Honoured Mook

Date:

I think it was about 20vol? Oh well, it was worth a try! :)

I have a tumblr, a twitter, and, most importantly, a neopets account.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

about 20 vol? It should be clearly marked on the bottle.

At the end of the day, bleaching out black can be a total pain in the hole. If you're not confident using bleach...don't.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I have a question... I've been thinking of going strawberry blonde (which is pretty much my natural colour) but I've read that it's not a good idea to bleach your hair when it's had henna put through it. I last put henna in my hair at the beginning of April I think, so how long would I have to wait until it's grown out?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Henna can do funny things with hair (I'm actually testing someone's hair tomorrow to see how it'll react to being cleansed) and a lot of hairdressers won't touch your hair until it's grown out/been chopped off. Your hair grows about half an inch (1.25cm) a month so depending how long your hair is depends how long it takes to grow out.

What I would suggest is going to a hairdresser and asking them to test your hair. They'll take a cutting and put bleach on it to see how it reacts. If it works then there shouldn't be a problem doing the rest of your hair but at least if it doesn't work then you won't waste money (and potentially ruin your hair) trying it on your whole head.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Spikey, I could really use some hair advice from you. I'm really sick of my hair and would really like it go a nice coppery shade, like this

I feel I should tell you a bit about my hair, so that you can tell me whether I will be wasting my time trying to lift it to put a copper shade over it or not! 

My hair is naturally medium brown-dark brown. I have been dying my hair (permanently) black on and off for about 4 years. The last time I dyed it black was 5+ months ago. Around 2 months ago, I put a permanent plum shade in it, but it only took to my roots. This is when I decided I wanted copper hair, so I went to my hairdresser friend and she bleach bathed my hair, which did take a good bit of the black out (more than I expected!), but not all of it. Some of it is still very much there, particularly in the front sections of my hair. 

Sadly, I have no money to go to a hairdressers to get my hair professionally lightened, so I'm considering doing it myself. I would like to get the copper shade before I go on holidays- so two weeks to do it. Is this wise to do? Can it be done? And if it can, please tell me how! 

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

So what colour is your hair now? After she bleach bathed it did she then colour on it?

What I reckon will probably happen is if you bleach it you'll take it too light which will mean having to pre-pigment the hair before putting the copper on (if you didn't do this it could go a kinda khaki colour).

It'll also depend what condition your hair is in, it might not cope with being bleached.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Left out a vital part of info there didn't I? haha. It's currently light brown with a red shine, though there are still a few chunks of black in it. The colour it is now is the result of the bleach bath my friend did for me.

My hair is in a pretty good condition... like when I just shampoo it, it is very easy to work with, feels pretty smooth and only gets a few knots. Though I'm not sure if that is a good way of telling whether it's in good condition or not haha.

Would doing bleach baths be better? Another hairdresser friend recommended these, plus using Effesor (sp?) in the ends to take the remaining black out, and 30 vol bleach to lift to an orangey base.

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Effasor is great but I wouldn't recommend using it without having been shown cos it's not like bleach in that you put it on, leave for X amount of time and then wash off. You need to do a cleanse with water first! Then watch it very carefully, keep it warm by rubbing (only down the hair, not up and down or across), know what you're watching for and how to then either do another cleanse or put colour in to make it nice and even again.

Not sure why she said 30vol cos that'll lift it too quickly and possibly too far, better to have a lower vol peroxide and lift it slowly.

It does sound like your hair is in good condition so I would say if you're doing it yourself then bleach baths is the way to go, concentrate on the ends of your hair first to try and get the black out. If it just won't lift though don't keep going over and over it, accept black ends for now.

I'm hesitant about how to advise you because colour correction is so dependant on the hair while you're doing it. Thing is, with colour already on your hair another colour won't lighten your hair cos they're not designed to do that. ARGH! Online colour consulting is hurting my brain! lol!

If you can live with your hair as it is just now I would really urge you to wait until you can afford to have it done properly. Chucking a copper box dye on it probably won't result in the colour you want and, depending on the dye used, might make it more of a nightmare for a hairdresser trying to fix it later (Live XXL is notorious for being almost impossible to remove from hair).

I'm really sorry, I know that's probably not the answer you're looking for but I don't want to advise you on something that could just end up a mess and have you hating your hair!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Wow, you honestly couldn't have given me better advice! I will keep reading over it, and ponder what I shall do. Thank you so so much my dear ^_^

EDIT: I decided to go ahead and do it, life is too short haha. I bought my supplies today, and when I got home I mixed a teeny bit of 20 vol bleach up to do strand tests. I cut a small bit of black hair and a small bit of the red brown hair to do two separate tests. I left the bleach on the strands for 20 minutes in total and then I rubbed it off using some tissue. The black hair lifted to the browny shade the rest of my hair is now, and the red browny bit lifted up to orange! Also, the strands didn't seem horribly damaged, just a bit dry.

The only thing is, there is nobody around this evening to put the bleach in for me so I think I'll wait till tomorrow until there is, because I will screw up if I try to section out the black bits myself- there are some wee bits at the back at the very tip of my hair that would be tough for me to see. 

I think tomorrow I will only apply bleach to the black bits so that they're lifted to the colour the majority of my hair is now, and then (hopefully) all of my hair will be the same colour (roughly anyway)! Then next week at some stage I'll bleach all of my hair so hopefully it goes that orangey colour and I can put a nice copper colour over it then. Wish me luck! 

-- Edited by weetabexx on Thursday 11th of August 2011 05:15:20 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Ok, if you're going ahead with it then yes, do the black bits first. Just keep a close eye on it and when one bit is light enough wash it off then reapply to the bits that are still dark. Let us know how you get on.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

It went alright! I got my mam to do it for me, because there were a few tiny black bits at the back that I probably would have missed had I done it myself. I kept a VERY close eye on it and left it on for a total of 20 minutes. ALL the black lifted to varying degrees- some is bright orange and some is brown.
Oh well, I guess I will just have to bleach the brown bits again! I bleached it on Friday morning so I think I will wait a few more days before I touch it. Worried about having loads of different orangy shades in my hair :(

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

If you can get it up to a vaguely overall similar shade of orange then putting the copper colour on top will help even it out.

Regular Crew

Date:

this thread is really helpful! but i have a few, kinda specific questions.... but first, a brief history of my hair...

last time i was at the hairdressers my hair (naturally an ashy light brown/blonde) had a cm or 2 of re-growth and the rest was a faded dark red/brown. The last few times i've had my hair dyed it has been a dark red. I told the hairdresser i'd had enough of red and was wanting to go the lightest brown possible without stripping, as eventually id like to go back to something close to my natural colour (light brown/ dark blonde). she was a bit dubious as to whether my hair could be dyed brown without adding green, because of the build up of red. But she didnt end up adding any green and it turned out fine, although it is a pretty dark brown. But she said that even if i want to lighten it gradually when my hair gets lifted, because of the red thats covered up, it will go pink and theyll have to add green. She really seemed to hate red hair!

What I would like to do is try bleaching it myself, because my hairs pretty long and hairdressers get expensive :/

So, my questions are....

1. If i bleach my own hair from a dark brown to a mid brown, then a light brown etc, will i need to add green if it was previously a red colour? obviously im going to put a light brown over the lifted hair, and i dont mind it being a bit reddish.. but does anyone think it will be horrible?

2. How much time should i leave the hair, from being dyed a mid brown, to going to a light brown, to a dark blonde? Would a month between each bleaching be enough if i condition condition condition?

3. I've heard of mixing bleach with conditioner to make it less damaging, what does anyone think of this? as i dont wanna bleach it all in one go i dont mind if it isnt as strong...

Sorry this post is such a novel! I know another option is to get highlights and slowly increase them, which is what i did when i went from black to blonde a few years ago, but honestly that sucked, my hair was so many different shades i could never get it done myself, took about a year to get to blonde and SO expensive. Thanks!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

am on my tiny phone keyboard so will return later with some answers.

OK.  Now I have a proper keyboard I can type faster and answer this.

Red dye is a pain in the neck.  It's harder to remove because of the size of the molecule and it tends to "stick" really well so even if you dye over it will still be there and as the colour fades you'll see the red again.  It also depends what you've been using - Live XXL is an absolute bitch and many hairdressers just won't even attempt to bleach that out because it's full of silicone and actually ends up melted into your hair with heat from straighteners, hairdryers etc.  Your hairdresser is correct, bleaching red can result in pink.  I got a red bleached out my hair and it went salmon pink! 

Stripping/cleansing your hair is actually less damaging than chucking bleach at it but it needs to be done correctly. 

You can't lighten your hair using dye; it's not designed to lighten already coloured hair.  If you have a red that is base 5 (as explained on my initial post) that's as light as you can go with more dye.

Green neutralises red (they are opposite/negative colours) so yes, if you want to get rid of red without stripping the colour that is applied on top will need to have some green tones mixed in.  I can't say for sure but I'd guess that the home dyes won't have green tones.

1 - bleaching isn't as easy as saying "I have dark brown hair, I will bleach it until it's lighter brown".  Bleach works quickly; how much build-up you have on your hair from previous colours and the volume of peroxide and how resistant your hair is will affect the end result.  It can very quickly go too light while bits remain very dark.  Knowing which colour to then put on to get a nice even finish is important. 

2 - Recommend 6 -8 weeks but that depends on the condition of the hair.  If it's quite damaged then it will have to be left longer and treated with deep conditioning and limited heat appliance use.  If you overdo it you'll end up with hair that feels like chewing gum that stretches and snaps.

3 - I don't think mixing it with conditioner will do much.  Better to use a low volume peroxide then apply lots of conditioner afterwards.  Conditioner is designed to close the cuticle while bleach and peroxide open the cuticle so conditioner just makes it harder for the peroxide to do it's job.

Not aimed at you but people expect results now even though they don't actually understand the processes and the effects on the hair.  Taking longer to get a desired result is better for the hair and easier to achieve from the hairdresser's side of things.  This is not to say that it's "easy", but doing it in little steps ensures a better result. 

I'm currently taking a girl from dark brown to blonde via several appointments of highlights because she doesn't want to bleach her whole head then have really crappy hair for her wedding next year.  I'm not saying that you should be willing to pay out a ton of money but you should be realistic about the results you're likely to get if you do end up bleaching your hair at home.

-- Edited by Spikeyfaerie on Wednesday 17th of August 2011 02:08:39 PM

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Regular Crew

Date:

Okay thanks :) hmm might just have to suck it up and fork out some money, at least having a pro do it will give me a bit more peace of mind..

Baby Mook

Date:

When I was a kid, my mother scared me into believing that if I bleached/dyed my hair to the roots, my auburn color would never come back exactly the same. Is this true?

Threatened by shadows at night....... :batman:

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

No. Colours and bleach only work on the hair shaft. The colour of your hair is genetically determined and comes from the development stage in the hair follicle. What sometimes happens is that because your hair can get darker as you get older it is naturally growing in darker but that's nothing to do with the colour.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm coming here just to ask a question, I'm planning on bleaching the colour out of my hair today (the blue and the reddy purple) so that I may put a light purple/lavender in and I was wondering what vol would be a good idea to use and if I would have to bleach my hair more than once (which I would rather not do). Also if my hair turns out orangish would the light purple/lavender still look alright?

Bleach scares me if I'm going to be honest about it. Meep.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

If you're wanting to put light purple on top then you wouldn't have to get the hair back to blonde, the blue and the existing purple will be a suitable base (but you will have to get rid of some of it so it's not really dark). You will probably need to get the reddy purple a bit lighter than the blue areas.

Is the blue and purple permanent or semi-permanent?

If it's semi-permanent then I'd suggest just using shampoo to wash out the colour (stuff like Head&Shoulders or Vosene).

If it's permanent then get some bleach powder, mix it in equal parts with 20vol peroxide and water. So it's a 1:1:1 ratio. Put that onto the coloured bits of your hair and watch the colour as it lifts. It'll be fairly slow (depending how porous your hair is) so don't worry about taking it too far. Once some of it is light enough wash the bleach off then re-apply the same mix of powder/peroxide/water to any bits that are still too dark. Don't leave it on for more than about 30mins at a time. Depending on the condition of your hair you should be able to do this a couple of times.

Then apply the light purple and make sure to really condition those bits of your hair. Try not to wash it for a couple of days after this and be sure to continue to condition it. Use heat protection before straightening/curling/blowdrying.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

HELLO.

Quick question! I bought Born Blonde to do my roots but of course I've got a whole tonne of solution left over. Is there any way I can store the mixed peroixde and everything for another occasion or do I just have bin it?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

No, if it's mixed then it'll oxidise and just be useless. Next time, get a plastic bowl and just mix up little bits that way you're keeping the powder and peroxide seperate and they can be kept til next time.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Noted! Cheers lovely :D

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I have a bleach-related question and I haven't found an answer in this thread so here goes. I had my hair bleached about three weeks ago because I wanted it a bit lighter (light blonde) than my natural hair colour (medium blonde with a ginger sheen). I'm really happy with my new hair colour but I dread the day I'll have to touch up my roots. Now, my hairdresser only bleached my hair - no toner, no dye, nothing. Does this mean I'd be fine using 20 vol bleach? Oh, and another question, I hope it's not off-topic. My hair is a warm(ish) shade of blonde, so would blue semi-permanent dye turn it green rather than blue?

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

^With regards to the second question, it probably depends what kind of blue dye you use. If you use a warmer, purple-based blue, it probably won't go green. It may well fade to a kind of peachy lilac. Lighter and more turquoisey blues will probably fade greener.

This is based entirely upon my three experiences with blue and purple hair dyes. :S

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Mookface (mod)

Date:

Seconded for turquoisey blue turning warm blonde green! I bleached my brother's hair once, just roughly as we were going to put a dye on it, so some bits were lighter than others... The turquoisey blue we put on it made some bits bright blue and some vibrant green! Luckily, it looked great...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

For the peroxide strength - it depends on what bleach powder you use. Some are better than others, blue powder tends to lift cleaner cos it tones out the yellow as it lifts.

But yeah, depending on the blue will depends on the result. And patchy bleached hair will result in patchy blue. If in doubt, do a strand test - cut a little bit out of your hair and apply the colour then rinse off after the recommended time to check the result.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I have a bleaching question...

...My hair is currently the style it is in my avatar, but it's now blonde. My hair grows really quickly, so I shave the back every three to four weeks, which means that it never really has chance to be damaged by what I do to it - the unhappy hair is cut off.

I don't want to bleach the ends of my fringe when I do my hair, because they won't be pleased and will probably snap, but the problem is that I'm struggling to bleach the roots of my fringe without getting bleach on the ends. I can't leave my bleachy roots hanging down on my forehead but if I push my fringe back, I'll get it on the ends anyway - the bleach on the top of my head will transfer to the ends of my fringe.

What should I do?

xxx Eve

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

TADA! I read this yesterday on my mobile and have actually remembered to come back and answer it.

OK, first of all make sure you're not mixing the bleach too runny cos that'll make it easier to control where it goes (it doesn't have to be too thick but it also shouldn't drip off the tint brush - use a tint/highlighting brush to apply). Next thing...tinfoil. Ordinary kitchen foil is fine. Cut a wide strip and place it round your head so the edge sits along the roots at the back of your fringe, essentially covering some of the top of your head and looking like an alice band. Apply the bleach to the roots of your fringe in front of the foil then use the pointy end of the brush and section your hair from side to side and place that backwards onto the foil. You can apply a wee bit more bleach to the underneath of that section so the hair is properly coated. Repeat bleaching and sectioning working your way forward on your fringe. If you feel that you're starting to put the ends of your fringe onto the bleach you can put another bit of foil in the middle of your fringe.

Does that make any sense? I'm so much better at showing or talking than typing out an explanation. If you need me to re-word it I'll try my best :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Stupid Question.

I've just heard of 5 vol. bleach on youtube and I'm shocked that it even exists.  I tried to look it up but nothing pops up so I was wondering if I could buy it at regular beauty stores? I want to add a little color to my dreads and it would be great if a 5 vol. bleach exists somewhere out there.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

«First  <  1 2 3 4 5  >  Last»  | Page of 5  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us