Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Books you couldn't get through

Honoured Mook

Date:
RE: Books you couldn't get through

I'm going to try reading Titus Alone again in the next couple of weeks. I gave up before because it's a bit odd, unfinished and disjointed and I had real trouble keeping track of what was going on. From what I can tell, that's the reaction a lot of people have. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it this time so that I can read the next installment they found recently.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Celtic Mysteria wrote:

I feel so ashamed, but I can't get into the Hobbit (I thought I'd posted this before but I can't see it anywhere). I struggle through the first few chapters, things start livening up, and then Gollum shows up and I'm like "Ooh, this is going to be good!", then he leaves Gollum behind and it goes back to ridiculous tedium.

I CAN SCRIBBLE THIS OUT NOW. Finally, after over ten attempts (probably over twenty) I've managed to make it to the end of The Hobbit.

-- Edited by Mephistophelise on Saturday 28th of February 2015 01:10:38 PM

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

^^^^Well done!

Recently I had to really force myself to read Hard Times by Charles Dickens. When I finished it I was relieved, there were only two interesting characters in the whole story and one of them buggered off back to parliament. Also was Gulliver's Travels because it kept fluctuating between interesting and boring. OH MY GOD I WAS SO HAPPY TO FINISH IT AND START READING SOMETHING ELSE!

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

Regular Crew

Date:

I've had to give up reading The Trial by Franz Kafka, I loved Metamorphosis although slightly sad. The Trial is just dragging so much, it's a relatively short book, I was pregnant at the time so maybe lack of patience with all the crazy lady hormones. So I will try and get back into it, just no time soon.

“To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting.” ― E.E. Cumming

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

^ I read The Trial when I was in my early teens. It scared the living daylight out of me, and I had to give my mind big doses of anarcha-feminist sci-fi & fantasy to calm down. Kafka instilled in me a permanent fear and hatred of bureaucracy, so in that sense I suppose I view it as must-read for everyone.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm reading Tracks by Robyn Davidson, or trying to. Chap gave me it before Barcelona on December as Plane reading, and two months later I'm still trudging through it. It's an easy read, so I don't want to abandon it, I could finish it, but it is so dreadfully dull and uninteresting I just want to throw in a river.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've been reading Atlas Shrugged for almost a year. I always think I'm making progress with it, but I've just looked now and I'm not even two hundred pages in. The bookmark is the train ticket I bought on the day I got the book, and it's dated March 2014.

I mean, it's almost definitely not worth reading (and in the middle is this big pamphlet headed with the words, "DO YOU SHARE AYN RAND'S PHILOSOPHY?" which is really off-putting, because hell no I sure as shit don't share Ayn Rand's philosophy) but I want to be able to say that I've read it, you know?

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

^ You have my sincere sympathy.

I'm almost tempted to advise you to read all the comics of Frank Miller instead and wing it from there.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Cowl I feel pretty similar about The Great Gatsby, I keep trying to read it but can only ever manage a couple pages before I have to stop. I think I'm just going to call it a day with that one. I tried.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Wolf Hall. I thought I would love it but by the time I was 200 pages in I wanted to throw it out of a window.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us