Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: "Letters to my sixteen year old self"

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
RE: "Letters to my sixteen year old self"

Dear 16 year old Molly-

If you're not in lights crew, passing German, and on good terms with people, we're through.

Please tell me your hair's long and a dark shade of blue and your nostril has a silver ring in it. Please tell me that you're still reasonably healthy and you still talk to the friends you've got now, because they're good people.

You better have had some more experiences than I currently do; you better have got your driver's license. Also, you best not be knocked up.

Not being so socially awkward would be nice. So would being able to sing.

Love,

14 year old Molly.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Dear 16 year old Eleanor,

Did you do well in your GCSEs? You'd better have.
Always remember that your opinion should mean more to you than anyone elses.
You'd better have gotten (yep,it's actually a word) that nose piercing, and hopefully a few others.
Be awsome, yeah?

Love your 15 year old self (only younger by 6 momths but still).

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Dear sixteen year old Delos,

Ten years from now, you're going to sit down at a computer in a flat above a pub and wonder who the hell you were at sixteen.

You are an arse. A royal jerk. You got that from your no-good father. My suggestions? Don't bother with him. Make some fucking friends. Stop playing with the car and get your nose in a book.

You're doing alright now. You're pretty sharp, you get what you need. You never have to beg. You look down on people like James Doe because you can.

James is going to become your best friend. Hell, at one point he will be the only friend you have, so I suggest you stop treating him like scum. You're going to be so damn lucky.

You don't deserve the good things that are going to happen to you. But there's going to be plenty of bad too, before you get too cocky. And you're gonna drag yourself through it with the friends you despised. Then, and only then, are you gonna be a nice person.

And stop frying your goddamn hair. You look better with your natural colour for Christsakes.

Twenty-six year old Delos.

Mooky's Resident Mr Meaniepants

Honoured Mook

Date:

Dear sixteen year old Tabby,

Don't be afraid to become closer to your mum and dad, they're pretty cool.
When you wher with Joel, don't get a credit card or a loan. Don't spend all your money on him and drugs, enjoy it.
Don't feel the need to sleep with so many people, after you've slept with so many, you become unattractive.
Save your money and don't let Ty drive your car that night.
Stay friends with people.
Have a laugh, things aren't that bad. Oh and the guy you will end up with, is worth it all. :)
Don't dye your hair blonde after dying it black, it will take years to become healthy again, and don't let louise cut your hair. It will be far too short.

Twenty-One year old Tabby xxx

'Snap Out Of Your Daydream, How Do You Feel?'

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Just reviving because now that I'm 18 there's a few things I'd like to tell my sixteen year old self.

Dear sixteen year old Kristy,

My darling, sweet, niave Kristy. You think turning sixteen is going to mark a change in your relationships. It doesn't. Infact, it sparks off a nasty chain of events that I wish you could have avoided. But there we go, you and I can't change the past. You made a really good decision out of all the bad ones, and I'm proud of you for sticking to it. I know you don't quite know who you are yet, and you feel lost but new doors are going to open up to you, I promise. You discover a talent, you discover independence, you learn a lot about yourself. Not all of it good, but not all of it bad either. You have some of the best times, and you have the most amazing friends.

There's a certain boy who wreaks 'havoc' so to speak. You know it's a bad idea but I know now in hindsight that was exactly what you needed to do. I hope you understand though that no man is worth ruining friendships over, which is what we learned in that year.

There is one week that stays with us for a couple of years onwards. It was the week you found out he was having a baby, your art deadline was due and you had very serious pluerisy. It was an awful week, but you got through it, and you got through it well. You finished your art piece, you recovered and you sat all your exams. You got fucking A's man. You are a strong and capable woman, and that was just the beginning of learning about your strength.

Next year is going to be a lot harder. But there's nothing anyone on this earth can do to avoid it. What happens is not your fault, stop blaming yourself for others actions.

I am incredibly proud of what you achieved.

Love, your 18 year old self.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Dear 16 year old Martha,

You're going to meet a guy very soon and after massive tragedies that are nothing to do with him you're going to realise that he is the most important person in your life.
You're also going to lose a very close family member and it's going to take a long time to get over that.
Forget about that absolute douche who made the last 6 months of high school the most painful ever as it was never gunna happen.
That person you called your 'best friend' will turn out to be the biggest dickhead you will ever meet, and after all the accusations and bitchiness you will find that randomly messaging her on facebook to piss her off will turn out to be quality entertainment.
Also, the group you're hanging out with now will all turn into dickheads and you'll find your true friends in college, who you can share any of your worries with and they won't judge you at all.
You need to learn to fucking revise as well.

But through all the shit you've made yourself a better person, who has moments of self-doubt and self-hatred, but remember, no-one else is you, no-one else has your life.
You need to learn that, and to accept it, and to accept that all the wishing in the world won't make your parents better, you just have to learn to live with it, and you will because you're strong.
And you also have the most amazing boyfriend ever.

Love, 18 year old Martha

Forget the horror here.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Dear 16 year old Chels,

I know right now that Billy Elliot may seem like the best thing ever but he's not, regardless, enjoy the most of that relationship, especially when you go to the farm park, the farm park's great. Ignore his new girlfriends and his talk about girls after you break up, he's only doing it to make you jealous, a couple of the girls will even tell you that themselves eventually. Also, when you realise why I now call him Billy Elliot you WILL feel rather embarrassed, but don't worry, he's not with you by then. Thankfully he's also not with you at the end of 6th form prom either, oh Lord Jesus Christ was that a performance he gives, and not a good one. Eeesh.

Also, you do get a new guy, and a much MUCH better one too. I'm not going to give much away on that though, because you already know him pretty well, and you'd never believe me if I told you. He's lovely, really lovely, you'll love him.

If you're still a vegetarian right now, it won't last, sorry but it won't. One jacket potato with cheese too many will send you over the edge, how people think you can eat them forever is beyond me, but don't worry, the meat won't kill you. Also stop with the energy drinks and caffiene in general, it's what's causing all of them headches.

I would also say don't let that school push you into going to uni either, sure I'm still not sure what I want to do, but I've met some of the best people ever, and I'm pretty happy. Oh yeah, that's another thing, you WILL make friends with your housemates, even if you do think they're too cool for at first.

Apart from that, good luck with everything, oh, and relax a bit, things still go well!

Yours sincerely, 19 year old Chels.

P.S.: Learn about apostrophes, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Ive decided i need to write another letter to myself.

Dear Florie, How are things at the moment?
Did you get a place on that hairdressing course, I suppose you probably don't know yet, anyway good luck I know how much you want this. How was your 16th birthday, did you do anything sociable, If you are like I am at the moment, then of course you didn't. Are you ok? Just generally. Are you panicking more?
What do you look like? Are you a lot thinner now? Is your hair still blonde? Are you confident enough to be yourself?
Have you found a way of coping with life yet, so far I haven't I hope you do. Please say your still friends everyone. Please, please, please be,I love those friends so much it would be awful if i lost them. Are you sleeping normally? Because now its 10 minutes past six and i haven't slept yet. Do you still have anxiety? All the fears and phobias? Are you making things to sell on etsy? Do you have a boyfriend? Have you made any new friends?
Ok that was just a long list of questions! Just one year all all of these will be answered, until then bye!
Love from yourself, Florie xxx

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Honoured Mook

Date:

Dear 16 year old Kay,

Appreciate that group of friends while they're still there. Before you know it you'll all grow apart from each other and have nothing in common anymore, though there are a few that you should be very thankful to have out of your life. Besides, you'll make some really great new friends in the years to come. On the subject of friends, be careful with C. The sooner you get away from him the better and please tell your other friends to do the same.

Don't be so cruel to R, it's not his fault that your last relationship went tits up. Breaking up will do both of you the world of good. I know you're scared of being single but you'll meet amazing man in just a couple of months time, who, in fact, you're still with now five years down the line. The start of your relationship will be a bit turbulent but hang in there because it gets so much better. Don't get too upset when E and K try to break it up, the only thing they succeed in is showing that they are immature, disrespectful people.

You're going to fail your highers, although I'm sure you knew that already. You manage to get into college though, the first year will be tedious as fuck but the next two are great. After that you'll have a scary year where you won't know what's going on, but don't worry, you'll find your way onto a pretty decent degree course. Bet you never thought that was going to happen!

Sincerely, 21 year old Kay.

P.S. You'll be pleased to know that you eventually get that labret piercing that you've wanted for years. That eyebrow piercing turns out to be a huge mistake though.

-- Edited by EverFrost on Friday 10th of June 2011 12:58:14 PM

. Tumblr . Flickr .

Honoured Mook

Date:

Dear 14-year-old Hannah,

He'll ask you out soon (again) and it'll be good for you two for a few months. Make some effort to see him though, what's the point if you hardly see each other? All I ask is you make the most of being with him, it doesn't last forever and I want you to enjoy it before its over. You know what he's like, he can't make up his mind with girls. When he says he wants a break he's going to leave forever. Try not to be too sad about it, you two will still be good friends and don't tell him you want him back, it'll be awkward for both of you. You won't love him forever, but you have learned a lot from being with him (including how to kiss!). He has changed now and I think he has truly fallen in love with someone he has liked for a long time.

You have some fun times with E. She'll be your best friend for a while. Try not to be too bitchy when you're with her. Unfortunately you won't be friends long and you'll never find out why. Don't let it get you down though you make new friends. You won't be best friends with R forever either, but you still speak with her occasionally.

Don't let high school get you down. You'll never see all those people you don't like when you get to sixth form. Try your hardest when you do your GCSEs. When you do music GCSE do the easiest sounding coursework, not what you think will be most fun - it isn't. Start revising early and teach yourself what you need for ICT, as your teacher won't teach any of it. You won't believe what your GCSE results are going to be and following my advice for ICT and music they will be even better. Carry on with your best subjects when you go to sixth form, especially maths. I also recommend you take philosophy, but don't take any other new subjects.

When you're 15 you get a new boyfriend. You won't believe who it is if I tell you, so there's no point telling you. You have now been with him for a year and a half and you love him even more than you loved T. It doesn't always go well with him, but you both get through it and it's everything you wish for.

Everything gets better (except school-work which gets worse), don't worry that things seem bad. It's only your age and your younger sister seems to be exactly the same right now.

From 17-year-old Hannah

Honoured Mook

Date:

Dear 16 year old Steph,

Please tell me you've rebelled by now? Where's the blue hair/plugs?
If you haven't, fuck you.
You are still skinny, right? PLEASE.PLEASE.PLEASE.
Work hard, even though I know you won't really.
Stop worrying about boys. Stop following that bitch around.

Love 13 year old Steph.

I miss you all deeply but I'm so busy that I never have the free time to post :(

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ I was like this at 13. I thought I do loads of stuff like have bright coloured hair and loads of piercings once I was 16. I'm now 17 and haven't done any (I have dyed my hair green once and pink once when I was 14 and 15 in the summer holidays, but now my hair is blonde). Now I don't really want to do it so much anymore.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Haha, we'll have to see. To be honest, as long as I come out the other end being ridiculously witty, interesting and awesome, I don't mind;)

I miss you all deeply but I'm so busy that I never have the free time to post :(

Honoured Mook

Date:

Dear future Lucy,
You better not have any STIs or STDs or be pregnant. Srs. I hope you're with a decent guy, who doesn't mess you about.
You should have long attractive hair by now. And a nose piercing. I mean that's not too much too ask, right?
Oh, and you better be damn awesome at french and art babe.
Love from 14 year old Lucy.
P.S. You better not be smoking ciggarettes, noob.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Dear baby Jellah-bean

Stop making boys your focus point, you are important all by yourself, and your life will be better once you concentrate on you. Stop worrying about your looks and work on your personality, but while on the subject of food stop using it as an escape in every situation. Stop being blonde, and write everyday

Love me.

The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue. Dorothy Parker

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Dear future Maria,
Have you still got that problem with the noise? I'm trying to get that sorted out now, so hopefully it should be gone by the time I'm you ;)
I hope you feel better generally. Do you still hang out with Hyperina? The vampire?
love 14 year old maria x

Previously known as "maria"

Pope Arlenmia's Humble Bishop Hat-Maker

my bookface

Regular Crew

Date:

fuckyou_immadinosaur wrote:

Dear 16 year old Steph,

Please tell me you've rebelled by now? Where's the blue hair/plugs?
If you haven't, fuck you.
You are still skinny, right? PLEASE.PLEASE.PLEASE.
Work hard, even though I know you won't really.
Stop worrying about boys. Stop following that bitch around.

Love 13 year old Steph.

Apart form the last bit, you're my mind twin (when I was 13). I'm not creeped out at all....coughcough ;) x

Honoured Mook

Date:

^haha, at least you came out looking how you wanted..:) x

Regular Crew

Date:

Dear Charlotte in one-and-a-bit months
I hope that everything goes right, that you got your arse into gear and did some artwork for college - otherwise what the hell are you going to take?! I hope you are slightly taller, slimmer, and less awkward than I am now. That would be nice if that could happen over the next few months please. I hope you went and got the ear piercings i want and that you weren't crying/fainting from fear (although I bet you did if you did get them). I hope that all these money problems leading up to July 15th get sorted out and are worth it. I hope you have a lot of fun.
And I hope that Colin Morgan and Nick Rice fall out of the sky and declare their undying love for you. ;)
Love from meeeeee xxxxx

Honoured Mook

Date:

Dear sixteen-year-old Casey,
Please find yourself soon. I'm not sure how much more we can take.
And stop being so afraid of everything. Take chances where it counts. Please.
Stay on Mooky, you'll hate it if you lose touch with this haven. I think you need this more than you know.
Stop talking yourself out of things. Try not to be such a twat when people try to bring you into the open.
I have flaws, but please learn to love me.
Love,
Sixteen-year-old Casey

His lips were blue.
Well, I guess they were pink, but they looked blue and I couldn't help but notice how they matched his eyes.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

To my sixteen-year-old self,

I know it hasn't even been a month since we last met, but you must have taken the best parts of me with you - and I know we're not going to meet again. I remember feeling confident at sixteen, and now where am I?

Did you ever imagine I'd have finished with Host by now? I remember thinking we were indestructible: do you still think that?

Don't bother chasing E, it's not going anywhere.

You should have acted on your impulses and spoken to T earlier, because here I am now at seventeen, struggling to think of something to say that won't come across as creepy, and trying to bear in mind the fact that he's going to university later in the year. You should have spoken to him when you had the confidence to. That party in the winter, the one where Katy kissed you? He was there, and you were giving him the eye from across the room: you should have seized the opportunity.

Please, finish it with Janus before you sleep with him, because we both know you don't like him, and he'll only make things more difficult for you in the long run. He will try to sabotage every relationship you have.

Use extra protection for all your sexual encounters in April and May, because I don't know where I am now.

I'm glad you finally hit the number you wanted before your birthday, though.

Regards,
My seventeen-year-old self.

I am a socialite, an artist, a poet.

Lady Moustache of Mooky

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Dear 16 year old bec

TELL SOMEONE...

You might be suprised

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Think I've done this already, but I have a new one...

Dear 16-year-old Gillian

Be selfish.

Sincerely, frustrated 23-year-old Gillian

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Dear 16 year old Olivia,

I hope you would be happy if you saw my life now. I almost forgive you for all the shit you're about to do. Almost.

Love 23 year old Olivia xx

Liv

My Tumblr :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

It's strange seeing a post from myself 5 years ago by my 15 year old self, but an update feel necessary.

Dear 16 year old Ellie,

Holy fuck have you got one hell of a sexuality crisis looming. Also, be careful, you're way too reckless for your own good.
Don't worry, you're still perfect.

Love,

20 year old Ellie.

Life Support     So many pins I always prick my finger

The Alien in the North!

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

Dear 16 year old Vic,

It gets worse before it gets better, but it will get better.

Love always,
21 year old Vic.

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Dear 16 year old Charlie,

I know you would have loved to get a letter from me, and you thought about it a lot, so I'm sorry that time travel isn't a thing (yet) and I wasn't there to give you guidance. I know you needed somebody and I'm sorry I couldn't be that person. Time might not be linear, but it sure is a bitch.

I could tell you about all the things that go wrong, and all the horrendous stuff you live through, but I think I'll let you find that out for yourself. It's shocking looking back how little of it matters, and how much of it when it doesn't work how you wanted actually works out for the best. A lot of things go wrong. REALLY wrong. In hindsight, you probably spend more of the next 6 years being unhappy than being happy being anxious instead of confident in your own abilities, feeling out of place rather than comfortable. You do get through it, though, and in one piece. I can't say you turn out fine, you've got a long way to go, but you've already come a long way and you keep going. You still are.

Although, just a bit of advice: it wouldn't hurt you to burn less bridges. It wouldn't hurt you to err of the side of kindness.

Now, seeing as you're probably a bit disappointed with the lack of details, I'll give you one. It will freak you out.

I'm married. It's definitely not to who you'd expect. I'll leave you to try and guess.

Love you lots,
22 year old Charlie.

-- Edited by little charlie on Sunday 24th of May 2015 11:29:14 AM

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

SO odd seeing my posts to my younger self from my even younger self. I'll write another.

Dear 16 year old Florian, or Florie as you are currently named.

You'll figure out the genders stuff don't worry, you don't actually need to know for sure, it will evolve and you'll find more about yourself along the way. coming out is no where near as scary as it seems, you'll get pissed with your friends, come home and shout it at dad then sit in the shower drunkenly singing the doors to yourself. you figure out your gender is pretty much how it was when you first started thinking about it and it will take alot of uncovering layers and unlearning social constructs to get there.

Don't think of college as being your last chance at proving yourself, it doesn't work, you'll just end up crushed, find a better more true way to show your worth, this is something i'm still working on.

You don't need to be a conventionally attractive female identifying person for people to still find you attractive hold on to that and be yourself fully and only for yourself.
Stop being so insecure about needing a partner, it happens towards the end of the year and when it does just talk to him about how you feel, he wants to know. It will end, you get over it and remain friends, you also get over the concept that you need a partner and go from desperately feeling you need one to 2/3 years down the line not really wanting one. Mostly because everything is so complicated it isn't worth it, but it's ok.

This year you'll gain some really great friends, and it will be great, you'll still be paranoid that they hate you every now and then but they're great, it all you've wanted. You keep on making more pretty much from now, you're now in a band with 4 great people, Sarah is living in Scotland and you miss her very much but have a great time visiting her. Your friend are awesome and so very supportive so just don't worry about it and if they arne't then fuck em, you don' need people like that in your life.

It all vaguely works out in some kind of way, things aren't perfect but it's towards the right kind of direction.

From 19 year old Florian, formerly know as Florie

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

To sixteen-year-old cowl,

You won't find the answers in the places you're looking for them. Things don't work out the way you wanted them to, but don't worry, they do still work out.

Love, twenty-one-year-old cowl

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Reading this thread makes me wonder where a lot of people who used to post here have gotten to,and if they'll ever return,like Wells's traveller in "The Time Machine". Wished I'd have posted here first time round ; it'd have been interesting to see!

So,here goes for now.

Dear 16 year old Dave.

Get a camera and start taking pictures of all those buildings,especially cinemas,because by the time you get round to it in the future,a lot of them will be dust and memories.

Never mind what Mum says,stick with Metallica,they'll be worth it*.

This year a clever man will invent something called the world-wide web. You'll see it when you go to Uni. in a few years,and it'll be amazing. You'll sign up for something called Hotmail - save everything because it will eat all your mail without warning one day.

Oh,and keep that book with the list of library books you've read because in a couple of decades you'll want to know what they were,but won't be able to remember.

p.s. Doctor Who will return. You'll have a wait though,so be patient. You might also get a crush on one of the future companions and learn a new meaning of the word "shipping". Yes,it's a girl. Now stop looking embarrassedly at the floor and get back revising. Those GCSEs won't pass themselves!

(*I did ; they were!)

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

«First  <  1 2 3 | Page of 3  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us