Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: What are you currently reading?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
What are you currently reading?

How do we not already have this thread?

Currently, I'm dividing my time between Daniel Deronda and Shantaram. Strange combo, I know...

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

The Importance of Being Earnest.

Oh Mr. Wilde, you don't know how much I adore you. I sink into your world so easily, I can see the words flow, I can hear the beat of language making my heart thump. I love you, Mr. Wilde. However, I'm stuck, stuck, stuck, because my attention span is so short and this play is so difficult for my tiny mind to appreciate properly. I'm really trying.

On the other hand I'm reading love letters of great men, because I am a sap.

I have a blog:
Blog

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^^ Btw, love the sig. That's one of my favourite episodes ;)

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Haha! Me too! Never get bored with Spaced. Ever, ever, ever. I'd marry that show, if it were possible, legal and morally acceptable.

I have a blog:
Blog

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Im reading The Devil at Castelnero. Very good to and only cost my 50cents at the op shop!

The universe is like one be old book. Full of chapters. Humans are but a "page"

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm reading Howard Marks' autobiography.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

To Kill a Mockingbird - I'd already read it, but we're studying it in English next year, so I thought I'd refresh my memory. And I like it. :)

I am a socialite, an artist, a poet.

Lady Moustache of Mooky

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Oh I love To Kill A Mockingbird!

Regular Crew

Date:

Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke...nearly finished =]

I've always wanted to read to kill a mockingbird, but sadly got a bit put off because the majority of people who have read it were forced to by school and as a result hated it. Tis virtually impossible to enjoy a book when you probe and study it to death for nearly a year [unless obviously you liked it to begin with]. Even if it does help you understand it better...that said i did enjoy lord of the flies even though i was forced to read it....

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I'm just finishing 'Steppenwolf' by Herman Hesse. The next on the list is 'Bonjour Tristesse' by Francoise Sagan.

I have recently discovered I have a hitherto unsuspected love of crime fiction, so in between thinking hard thoughts with Hesse, I am reading some Donna Leon I got to take back from my internship at Random House (so. many. free. books!), I've just finished Garnethill by Denise Mina (IT'S REALLY FUCKING GOOD, COULD EVERYONE READ THIS PLEASE THANK YOU), and I want to read this pretty copy of The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett wot I picked up (I've read some Raymond Chandler and liked it so...)

I really need a job. Sigh.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I'm currently reading The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe. Picked it up because it's mentioned frequently in Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey, which I love. First time I tried to read it, I found it a bit on the boring side as there's lots of long-winded description and it was a lot to get through. However, second time round I plowed through it and am actually really enjoying the story.

Next on my list shall be one of the three Jane Austen books I haven't read, Persuasion, Mansfield Park (?) or Sense and Sensibility.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

This whole thread just makes me think of that Simpsons quote: 'And I swore never to read again, after To Kill a Mockingbird gave me no helpful advice on killing mockingbirds. It did teach me not to judge a man based on the colour of his skin...but what good does that do me?' XD

Still working on Shantaram and Daniel Deronda, but am getting a bit bored so may end up picking up something like Empire of the Sun, because I'm in that kinda mood...

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Getting Rid Of Matthew - Easy to read romancey book
Lord Of The Flies - Work book (Read it only at work)
The Gargoyle - Library book, a bit heavy going
This Is All: The Pillow Book Of Cordelia Kenn - Bought this book, couldn't resist starting it as soon as it arrived, it's big so will take me ages to finish.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Introduction to neuroscience.
Social psychology 7th revision.
Collins Italian dictionary.

My reading material isn't that fantastical at the moment.

I'm an expresso-some people think I'm bitter, but I'm just intense

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm reading Nightworld, but I really need to get a proper good book.

The Harlequin Horrors are here!

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

her wrote:

Introduction to neuroscience.
Social psychology 7th revision.
Collins Italian dictionary.

My reading material isn't that fantastical at the moment.

Is that the Collins Sansoni Italian dictionary? That thing's enormous - I'm amazed your brain hasn't overloaded... ^_^

Honoured Mook

Date:

Haha, no, it's the collins easy learning italian dictionary. In colour, no less, and a mere 615 pages.

I'm an expresso-some people think I'm bitter, but I'm just intense

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Thank goodness - my Collins Sansoni weighs a ton and cost the earth. Since A-Level it's mainly used as ballast on my bookshelf ^_^

Finished Daniel Deronda - would highly recommend it, especially for people who are interested in the cultural perception of Judaism and Zionism. Really cool. Currently reading Hemingway's Fiesta: The Sun Also Rises and will start Emma as soon as I've finished that. Shouldn't take long - I bought it about two hours ago and I'm already a quarter of the way through.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm reading

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I watched the film but I haven't read the book and I'm ashamed of myself because of that. Therefore I'm reading it now.

The English Way of Death by Julian Litten. It's about funerals, embalming, shrouds, burial vaults, coffins, everything. And it has wonderful colour photos. I'm immensely enjoying this book.

Poetic Edda. Good old Norse poetry. I've read it before but I just can't get enough of it.

I plan to read Elizabeth Gaskell's Wives and Daughters as soon as I finish The Great Gatsby. Summer holidays are bad for me, I read too much.

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^^ LOVE Fitzgerald and Gaskell. Excellent choices both ^_^

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

i started reading let it bleed by ian rankin last night, and so far i'm enjoying it :) i've never read any of the rebus books, or ian rankin actually, before but i think i may well have a go at reading the rest.

i also finished a spot of bother by mark haddon yesterday and while i did enjoy it, i didn't like it anywhere near as much as the curious incident of the dog in the night time (what a mouthful lol)

i should really be reading a boring microsoft book for when i go back to uni but, can't face it just yet!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

"The Novice" by Trudi Canavan. It's the second in a trilogy.

I'd choose freedom over safety because I'd rather die standing than live on my knees.

Lush Guru

Date:

The Every Brilliant Thing list.
I may cry.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Finished Shantaram and The Sun Also Rises, currently reading The Well of Loneliness. Because there is no more depressing depiction of faux-lesbianism anywhere on the face of the planet...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Currently reading Ivanhoe and The Robber Bride, because I'm such a Margaret Atwood junkie.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Trainspotting, loving it. Forget the film!

Honoured Mook

Date:

I'm reading Manifest Destiny: Nightcrawler
Yeah it's a comic. The actual book I read recently was Lucrezia Borgia, short but sweet and freaking heartbreaking.

MookyDuchess

Date:

When I get the chance to read, very slim chances recently, I'm reading Fingersmith by Sarah Waters, who is my current favourite writer.

next up is her new one, The Little Stranger.

See my pictures at this site.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^^ Seconded. Sarah Waters is absolutely fabulous. She's doing a reading near my uni on my 20th birthday, which is the coolest present anyone could have got me ^_^

MookyDuchess

Date:

I'm so very jealous of that. I've been checking out her schedule, but she doesn't seem to want to visit any where near me. :(

Wonder if there's any way we could get an interview with her...

See my pictures at this site.
Page 1  >   Last »  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us