Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: really over rated bands....GO!

Honoured Mook

Date:
RE: really over rated bands....GO!

I can kind of see what you're getting at with the early stuff ("I Wanna Hold Your Hand" is good pop but hardly innovative), but have you listened to their later and more experimental songs? The White Album and Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band were something that no one had ever heard before when they first came out. Of course, nowadays they're a lot less exceptional; but that's less the fault of the Beatles' musical quality and more the simple fact that everyone else has been ripping them off for the past fifty years.

If the world is ending, we're throwing the party.

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The Beatles were a talented bunch, I'll give them that. But I have to agree with Dave that to me they seem kind of bland and overrated. I must say I prefer Siouxsie's version of "Dear Prudence."

Facebook: Personal | Public

ModelMayhem

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I find that "experimental=meandering indulgent cack" far too often,sadly,and the four lumpheads had enough of that. Granted the use of multi-track recording was something different,but advances in technology will always need early adopters or those with the ability to use them. However being first does not automatically grant greatness to those in question,nor the guarantee that it will be good/useful. ;)

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Honoured Mook

Date:

It's true that the cover of any Beatles song is usually better than the actual song. My particular favorite is Joe Cocker's Come Together, which is basically a musical orgasm.

I find the Beatles' experimental stuff more "trippy and awesome" than "meandering indulgent cack," but I'm pretty sure that's where that whole idea of different opinions comes from. Actually, I think that being first does give one a certain measure of greatness; after all, it takes more creativity to think of it in the first place than it does to blindly copy the Beatles.

Honoured Mook

Date:

The Beatles. Just because they were the most popular band doesn't mean everyone likes them! I want to smash people in their stunned faces when they can't comprehend that I despise that type of music.

Miley Cyrus. She thinks she's a rockstar when all she really does is teeny-bop mince.

Country rock. Full stop. It's just not that great in my opinion, all the songs sound pretty much the same.

Generic pop rock bands such as All Time Low, Hey Monday & Set Your Goals. Again, they all sound the same.

Lady Gaga. She's more famous for her fashion & crazy personality than she is for her music xD

I saw him too. He had a guitar. He winked at me before he jumped out a fourth floor window like he had wings. 

He winked at you?  [tsk] Musicians. 

Suddenly I heard a tapping, as of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door. 
What are you talking about? 
You heard me rapping, right? 

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Punk Rock Princess wrote:

The Beatles. Just because they were the most popular band doesn't mean everyone likes them! I want to smash people in their stunned faces when they can't comprehend that I despise that type of music.

Miley Cyrus. She thinks she's a rockstar when all she really does is teeny-bop mince.

Country rock. Full stop. It's just not that great in my opinion, all the songs sound pretty much the same.

Generic pop rock bands such as All Time Low, Hey Monday & Set Your Goals. Again, they all sound the same.

Lady Gaga. She's more famous for her fashion & crazy personality than she is for her music xD

I love your first paragraph. :) I find most shitty music can be improved greatly by the power of metal. Beatallica did it with the beatles,and there are many metal covers of Gaga out there. ;)

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Honoured Mook

Date:

I love your first paragraph. :) I find most shitty music can be improved greatly by the power of metal. Beatallica did it with the beatles,and there are many metal covers of Gaga out there. ;)

Dave.

Why thank you ;) Lol sounds good xD ironically, I like a couple of Lady Gaga songs but I just don't think she would have been as successfull if she had been what mainstream defines as "normal" for pop/dance singers.

I saw him too. He had a guitar. He winked at me before he jumped out a fourth floor window like he had wings. 

Suddenly I heard a tapping, as of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door. 

Honoured Mook

Date:

Ehhh... The Beatles have got some great songs, and I can respect how groundbreaking they were for their time. Saying that, I don't think they're as amazing as they're often made out to be and I think there are much better bands of that era, like The Velvet Underground and The Doors.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I just really don't like all that acid-trippy psychadelic stuff and their other songs i find to be quite dull. I do aknowledge that they took that genre which was already popular at the time and made "good" songs based on that genre, and therefore deserved their success, but I just don't like that genre so therefore I think they're overrated. Especially when my Beatles-insane friend, and pretty much every Beatles fan I've encountered so far,  talks to me & looks at me as if I'm stupid & a freak when I tell them repeatedly that I don't like them. It's bloody annoying!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Exactly. The Beatles are not as fabulous as they're made out to be.

There are three statements about music that really annoy me, and they're said often:-

1. "But The Beatles are the greatest band of all time!" (closely related to) "Well you must like The Beatles or The Stones, right?"

In my holy opinion, The Beatles were mediocre, and even so, the objectively state one band is the greatest of all time is ridiculous. And for the record, I like neither The Beatles or The Rolling Stones to any degree that can be called fandom.

2. "The Sex Pistols invented punk!"

No, no they didn't. Punk had been established for a fair few years before The Sex Pistols were even a twinkle in Mr. Rotten's eye. And as much as I like them, they aren't the best punk band ever either. The Ruts were a much better band, with a clearer message but lost out on being truly famous because The Sex Pistols, who were their supporting band, after the gig trashed both band's equipment and hotel rooms, making the headlines.

3. "You are a Bowie fan. You just don't know it yet."

Look, I appreciate Bowie had something interesting going on, and that he did a lot of different stuff, but I have never come across a Bowie song I like. People often tell me this is impossible, and I haven't listened to enough of him because every song is different. Well, if I had to listen to every song of every band to decide that I like them, life would be very slow. Cam down. It's not the end of the universe.

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

r0se_red wrote:

Ehhh... The Beatles have got some great songs, and I can respect how groundbreaking they were for their time. Saying that, I don't think they're as amazing as they're often made out to be and I think there are much better bands of that era, like The Velvet Underground and The Doors.

Sorry to say that there are two more over-rated blindly worshipped bands. Jim "I have a penis" Morrison and his mates,and a load of idle stoners. There are so many 60s fetishists in the music industry.

Dave.

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ Well, I don't really care about what they were like as people to be honest. I just love their music :)

Honoured Mook

Date:

little charlie wrote:

Exactly. The Beatles are not as fabulous as they're made out to be.

There are three statements about music that really annoy me, and they're said often:-

1. "But The Beatles are the greatest band of all time!" (closely related to) "Well you must like The Beatles or The Stones, right?"

In my holy opinion, The Beatles were mediocre, and even so, the objectively state one band is the greatest of all time is ridiculous. And for the record, I like neither The Beatles or The Rolling Stones to any degree that can be called fandom.

2. "The Sex Pistols invented punk!"

No, no they didn't. Punk had been established for a fair few years before The Sex Pistols were even a twinkle in Mr. Rotten's eye. And as much as I like them, they aren't the best punk band ever either. The Ruts were a much better band, with a clearer message but lost out on being truly famous because The Sex Pistols, who were their supporting band, after the gig trashed both band's equipment and hotel rooms, making the headlines.

3. "You are a Bowie fan. You just don't know it yet."

Look, I appreciate Bowie had something interesting going on, and that he did a lot of different stuff, but I have never come across a Bowie song I like. People often tell me this is impossible, and I haven't listened to enough of him because every song is different. Well, if I had to listen to every song of every band to decide that I like them, life would be very slow. Cam down. It's not the end of the universe.

You're so right! There were/are so many better punk bands than the Sex Pistols. Many of whom did not sell out on their beliefs. I hate David Bowie's voice. I don't care if he sings lots of different genres, I hate his voice, it's got nothing to do with the types of music he sings. One of my friends (the same one that loves the Beatles) keeps telling me that if I listen to more than one album I'd like him. Thing is, I like covers of his songs, like Nirvana did a couple of acoustic covers which were amazing. I just think David Bowie has a horrid voice. I wish people would just accept it when you tell them that you don't like something.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Basically, I hate everything that is mainstream. Not 'just because it's popular' (as butthurt fans constantly whine in defense) but because I think it is shit. Simple as.

And I don't like the Beatles because I'm not a fan of their style of music. I hate how everyone treats them like Gods. They are a band. Some people will love them, some people will be ambivalent about them, and some people will hate them. It really isn't the end of the world.

And I hate to say this, but Emilie Autumn. I used to really love her, but sometimes I find the whole 'OMG DIFFERENT LOL' thing a bit annoying. I still like her- she was one of the first Gothic artists I got into, after all -but I'm still able to critisise her a little.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Honoured Mook

Date:

There are a few bands I consider as overrated. Firstly, Oasis. I think they've just split up once again I think, and I have to admit that "Wonderwall" is a good song. I don't think it's a hymn. For me, they are mainly just a few musicians and two brothers constantly quarreling.

HIM. Besides the fact I think Ville Valo is NOT sexy, their music just doesn't appeal to me. ("Join me" is a cheesy 'goth' anthem, in my opinion...)

I agree with what Lady Misery said: mainstream = mediocrity (often, not always). But I think this is depending on people of the broad masses do not want to hear innovative, experimental music (ever listened to Diamanda Gálas? This is deffo something you have to be open-minded for, and most people won't ever be). That's why they "hide" behind people like Lady Gaga - I like her a lot, I think her style is great, but her music could be everyone else. Yes, she can sing, and she's well at performing, but she didn't reinvent the wheel. Sometimes I think she's sort of an excuse for people who want to show "Hey, I am tolerant, I like 'freaks'."

Also, Emilie Autumn sometimes gets on my nerves. Not because of her music, but because of all this "manic depressive, 4 o'clock"-drivelling. There's nothing bad about getting your inspiration from hard times in your life, but does it really have to be all about depression?
That's why I like her old songs a lot.

Eine deutsche Mooky :)

My modeling account (German).

I also got a DeviantArt account. Please feel free to add me :)

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Most of mine are ones which have already been said.

Muse - Although I used to quite like 'Plug In Baby' everyone is so like OMG Muse are so amazing, I'm so rock in roll not I like one rock band and stuff.

Kings Of Leon - Same as Muse, I haven't heard their earlier stuff which people claim is better but seriously, it's so bleeeh, everyone was mad about it and I found 'Sex On Fire' among others to be the blandest thing. Again, the fact that people mostly girls who liked this band thought liking them made them edgy and rock n roll made me sick.

Paramore - Same as the above with the, 'ZOMIGOSH PARAMORE MOSHPITS, HALEY WILLIAMS, SO ROCK N ROLL' also the fact there music isn't even rock in the slightest and more like pop, I mean she's like Avril Lavigne with a band, she's no more rock than that. And while I do like Avril Lavigne because I used to love her when I was 10 Paramore seems like the upgraded version. Also what is it with the obbsession boys have with Haley Williams, she really isn't that attractive.

MCR - They're like the ultimate emo wannabe band for me eeek.

But yeah if I think of more I shall write them down.

"All smart girls should acknowledge a kindred spirit." - Shirley Manson

Honoured Mook

Date:

U2......I think there wankers, Bono isnt all he seems to be. If hes so good why doesnt he give most of his money to Africa?

I am a traveller of both time and space.

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ Agreed. Their pre-90's stuff was really good though. Anything from the 90's onwards is just so bland I feel like I'll slip into a coma if I don't switch the radio off.

All American Rejects irritate me. They're so cheesy pop-rock that they could give Miley Cyrus a run for her money. All the bengos (for those of you who don't live in Scotland- A bengo is a girl who wears orange fake tan, painted pink cheeks, really awfully applied eyeliner & mascara, dye their hair bleach blonde & then cuts it short & wears it in a ponytail with hair extentions that are clearly the wrong shade, wear either grey joggers & hoodies or the skankiest possible-usually neon- things they can find. They go around getting drunk, smoking & generally being horrible delinquents), anyway, they all think that they're hardcore rockers because they like them.

Killers are also overrated. Their first album was sheer brilliance, but after that they got so ridiculously self-indulgent that their post Hot Fuzz songs are unbearable!

Queen. They're just not all they're hyped up to be. I was really disappointed when I borrowed some of their cds.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

ACDC.

Regular Crew

Date:

Muse
U2
30 seconds to mars
Bullet for my valentine
Fall out Boy
Lady Gaga

Hand made dreads, hair bows & more www.blacksunshineiow.etsy.com

Honoured Mook

Date:

I love Green Day, My Chemical Romance, All Time Low, All American Rejects, Paramore and Coldplay...

I dislike this thread ><

-- Edited by ponyclubby on Tuesday 6th of July 2010 10:52:17 PM

I have a tumblr, a twitter, and, most importantly, a neopets account.

Regular Crew

Date:

Paramore-can't sing
Green Day (at least their newer stuff. I don't mind their old albums)
Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana-horrible in every way possible
Katy Perry-can't sing, boring music
Fall Out Boy-annoying

etc...

I like Coldplay's new album, but their old stuff was bland, I agree.

And I think Emilie Autumn is annoying. Sorry. Just her music is... eh... >_>
idk.
Love her style though

--EDIT--
About Lady Gaga:

Style=awesome. I love that she's doing her own thing and she's really doing performance art.
Music=okay. She can actually sing, which is super-duper rare for a biggie pop star. But the music itself I think is sort of uncreative. She doesn't seem to be doing anything new in that dept.

-- Edited by -emza- on Tuesday 6th of July 2010 11:07:53 PM

Honoured Mook

Date:

ponyclubby wrote:

I love Green Day, My Chemical Romance, All Time Low, All American Rejects, Paramore and Coldplay...

I dislike this thread ><

-- Edited by ponyclubby on Tuesday 6th of July 2010 10:52:17 PM

It's okay, ponyclubby. I love Green Day, My Chemical Romance and All American Rejects too. Also I know all the words to every song off Panic! At the Disco's first album. We can go sit in the bad-taste corner together. smile

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^I'll join you in that corner.

Shamefully I love My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Panic! at the disco (first album only) and Green Day (altough I don't think that's quite as shameful) but I guess most of them are over-rated.

Although there's a difference between 'over-rated' and 'bad'.

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Honoured Mook

Date:

^Right. But to me overrated means, you know, "everyone thinks they're such a great band when they're really not." I think that My Chemical Romance et al have a completely different problem, that is, "being primarily popular among twelve-year-olds who think they are Teh Goffic, and are ruining it for the rest of us." (Altho' Panic does actually have a really terrible guitarist.)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ Exactly this, I used to be a very open fan of MCR, til they gained a reputation of being an 'emo' band for 12 year olds, I then stopped liking them for a while, before remebering the music is actually quite good, despite the reputation and becoming a bit of a closet fan.

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Honoured Mook

Date:

@ponyclubby

I like Green Day, Coldplay & Paramore =) But hey, everyone has their own opinions, it's not the end of the world if someone bashes a band you like & no doubt you will slag off a band someone else likes at some point in your life, even if it's just in some innocent off-hand comment like "oh that song's rubbish".

I used to like MCR, but I stopped liking them because my friend who was trying to get away from her wholesome I-heart-westlife-and-take that-and-all-other-boybands image so became obsessed with MCR & would literally only talk about that band & their songs & going on about how Gerard Way is "oh-so-gorgeouuuuuus" (I beg to differ) and far more than I can go into without killing my fingers from typing so eventually I just got fed up with them.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Proof My Immortal has corrupted me: I can't listen to MCR without thinking of MI. FAIL.

There's only one of Katy Perry's songs I like and that's If We ever meet again. Her voice is so high pitched and everything is auto-tuned and has weird octave spikes.

Miley is very overrated. All O hear is the auto-tuner when I listen to her songs on the radio.

Micheal Buble. He thinks he's the new Frank Sinatra, but really, he's not. Yeah he sounds like him. Yeah he does a lot of Rat Pack covers. but really, he doesn't compare.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

U2.
Cannot bloody stand them- especially that sanctimonious prick Bono.

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Regular Crew

Date:

Steel Panther.

I'm quite pleased to see no one has mentioned them yet, and to be the first to say that they are utterly overrated. I don't deny that they have a bit of talent with music, and that the lyrics they write could be considered funny in the right circumstances (pished off your face at a party with friends), but what I don't like is the way the metal media has picked up on them and are pushing them as being so funny and so talented etc. I cringe whenever I hear their name being bandied about in conversation. I hate it when people do the "oh, you like heavy metal, what do you think about Steel Panther..." thing. No, it's not the same as Motley Crue or Poison. I don't care if they are doing it tongue in cheek, or ironically, or anything like that. I just don't like them!

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us