Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: really over rated bands....GO!

International Mook of Mystery (mod)

Date:
RE: really over rated bands....GO!

Rhianna still deserves some credit, the voice counts as an instrument.
Yes, the songwriters are the "brains" of the production, but singers have to put in a lot of hard work. If the song is good and the singer performs well, they should be congratulated.

And if you're writing songs for your friends, aren't they doing the same thing as Rhianna et al?

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

missy_marsh wrote:

Not a band, but Lady Gaga. I'm sorry but she's mediocre at best and yet everyone seems to think she's just amazing.

I was about to say exactly the same thing.

Also, Paramore.... grr.

And that's what she said!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Fiend wrote:

Yes, the songwriters are the "brains" of the production, but singers have to put in a lot of hard work. If the song is good and the singer performs well, they should be congratulated.

And if you're writing songs for your friends, aren't they doing the same thing as Rhianna et al?

^ Of course they are- but they're not recognized as professional musicians, making boatloads of cash, topping charts, etc. Hell, they aren't even music students...and are completely aware of the fact that they are using my music. Our stuff is for the sheer fun of making music- not for raking in dough. I don't mind songwriting for my friends because we all know that I will always hold the majority of creative control and be recognized as songwriter. There is no money or fame involved on any side.

Here is my blog.

Regular Crew

Date:

Fiend wrote:

She uses Auto Tune like nobody's business! It's not as obvious as people like T-Pain, but it's still pretty gratuitous :E

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I defintely agree with Irilar and Saarni over the whole Tokio Hotel buisness.
I have one friend that is completely obsessed with Bill and the whole band so I take a listen to them and I find them plain AWFUL!

I told my friend that I think they are a really bad band and she goes that's because you haven't heard the right songs. Then I'm left thinking there is no right way or wrong way about it...I only hear the lack of talent in their music and that's why I dislike them so much.

-- Edited by Hendrixsa on Sunday 3rd of May 2009 05:11:21 PM

Short snippet of my song: Bees Knees

Your eyes they still wail out conflict
But you still think your the bees knees
You keep choking on your vulgar slurs
But in the end it's a comforting pity...
You still like to imagine that you are the bees knees.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

all the bands i used to love as they started off well have now become overated media wannabes nightmares- iloved FOB, MCR, Sterophonics

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I agree with whoever it was who said they find Arcade Fire overrated. I almost feel bad that I don't like them because they're in the same vain as a lot of other artists I listen to...but I just find them overly pretentious.

A lot of generic indie rock is overrated, in my opinion...'indie' seems to have lost all sense of its original meaning. My friend and I have a theory about 'K' bands: there seem to be loads of mediocre faux-indie bands around whose names all begin with K. Kooks, Kasabian, Killers etc [though I did think the Killers' first album was pretty good].

Oh, and Lady Gaga. Catchy and danceable, but not at all stand-out.

Honoured Mook

Date:

MCR. SOMEONE has to say this (I haven't read the whole thread, but I could have a rant about how stupidly over-rated their music is)
:D

Voltaire -

"The best way to become boring is to say everything."

Nami, the brutal Mook.

[Tumblog][Facebook][DeviantArt][Vampirefreaks

Honoured Mook

Date:

all disney bands/singers. Miley Cyrus can't sing or act and she makes me want to punch babies. Jonas brothers are just a fail. etc.

Most fueled by ramen bands are quite overrated; i like them okay, but once you have a few of their bands' albums you've heard it all. You know, "pop-punk" emo type stuff with guitars and "meaningful" lyrics.

Marilyn Manson. He is not that good.

Paramore. They don't offend my ears or anything, i can tolerate listening and maybe even sing a line or two - but seriously? so not worth all the hype. geez.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Jellah_bean wrote:

Coldplay
MUSE?!
MGMT
Radiohead

This post is about bands that their fans seem to think they're so awesome they piss rainbows but in reality aren't that great?

I strongly disagree with the fact that radiohead is on that list. I can understand the rest of the list although I do like mgmt. I don't mean to be rude but its not our fault you are to ignorant understand radiohead's music let alone the people. They are the most beautiful
well-mannered boys you will ever meet.

-- Edited by Page on Monday 11th of May 2009 11:34:55 PM

The universe is like one be old book. Full of chapters. Humans are but a "page"

Honoured Mook

Date:

I'm not entirely ignorant of Radiohead's music seeing as I own all their albums and have seen them in concert twice, I do like them I ust don't think they deserve the praise that they get maybe originally but not so much now.

and mgmt are also a guility pleasure one or two songs anyway.

The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue. Dorothy Parker

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Jellah_bean wrote:

I'm not entirely ignorant of Radiohead's music seeing as I own all their albums and have seen them in concert twice, I do like them I ust don't think they deserve the praise that they get maybe originally but not so much now.

and mgmt are also a guility pleasure one or two songs anyway.

Sorry I'm just really protective of radiohead as they are really special to me! I do see you point in this post

The universe is like one be old book. Full of chapters. Humans are but a "page"

Honoured Mook

Date:

its no problem dear there's a lot of people i'd take out with an ak47 on a bad day if they said band things about music i love x

The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue. Dorothy Parker

Honoured Mook

Date:

I like Kings of Leon but I think they're a little overrated - I bought Because of The Times with high hopes and was incredibly disappointed with it.. They're ok, but not as fabulous as so many people claim them to be.

Beyonce - effing - Knowles is also painfully overrated. Sure she's got a healthy set of lungs on her, but she aint all that... In fact I wouldnt even give her that much credit.

ETA - Mindless Self Indulgence. Nuff said.

-- Edited by glitterfiend on Friday 15th of May 2009 01:25:39 PM

Regular Crew

Date:

Jonas brothers and MCR and Playradioplay

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Honoured Mook

Date:

The Jonas Brothers... furious If I hear one more uninformed person claim that they are the new Beatles, I will shoot something. They. Are. Not. 

I can rant about this a lot more, but I'll just end it here...

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. - John Lennon

Honoured Mook

Date:

Shinedown
Slipknot
Kings of Leon
Beyonce
Nickelback
Chevelle
Creed
Brittany Spears
Taylor Swift
Coldplay
Lil' Wayne
Black Eyed Peas
Miley Cyrus
Lady Antebellum
Led Zepplin
Pink Floyd
The Beatles
KISS
Mariah Carey
Jordan Sparks
The Killers
Rascal Flatts
Carrie Underwood
Lady GaGa

Tokio Hotel
John Mayer

I think they are over-played,over-credited,and they annoy me.That is what makes them over rated in my book.wink

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Justin Bieber.
Nickleback
Lady Antebellum
Kings of Leon

-- Edited by ChynaRoze on Friday 18th of June 2010 06:19:00 PM

Honoured Mook

Date:

Justin Bieber...burn!
Short Stack...wankers
MGMT...basically no good.

jinsei wa tabida. isshungoto ni kansha suru. x

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Belle and Sebastian... Why do people keep recommending me them? Do I seem like someone who would enjoy such poppycock?

Also can't stand Scouting For Girls. The man's voice is so annoying, and the lyrics at best are stupid, and at worst are ridiculous.

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ I second Scouting For Girls. Quite possibly one of the most annoying bands on radio.

Also
The Script
Tokio Hotel
Bring Me the Horizon
Mindless Self Indulgence
Red Hot Chilli Peppers (I don't mind some of their songs, I just find them very overrated)
Pretty much any 'crunkcore' band, i.e. Brokencyde, Blood on the Dance Floor etc.
Mariah Carey
Girls Aloud
Cheryl Cole
Dizzee Rascal
Aaaand as much as I love Lady GaGa, I am starting to get really sick of people acting as if she's the first female musician ever to have blonde hair and wear outlandish clothes.

Also, I would add Justin Bieber, the Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus etc, but even though I don't like their music, I'm not exactly their target audience so I can't say they bother me all that much.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Haha, while I was reading this thread Empire of the Sun started playing on the radio.
I do like Empire of the Sun, and do like Kings of Leon (I was a fan back in the Youth and Young Manhood days), I don't think either are particularly amazing bands. Just enjoyable to listen to.

The only band I can really think of off the top of my head is Paramore. Out of nowhere I seem to know loads of hardcore fans. I listened to them a while back when I first started seeing the name, and I've listened to them again a couple of times since. I think they're alright although not a musical style I like, but they're nothing special really.
And it annoys me when I tell people my name's Hayley and they're like "lol, as in Williams?"

:)

Honoured Mook

Date:

...I am sad. People have mentioned like every band I love.

I'd just like to point out that Cobra Starship is a Fueled By Ramen band that doesn't sound, um, anything like the other ones, possibly because Gabe Saporta was older than twelve when he was signed. It's a synth-heavy extremely catchy dance-pop band. (I'm not saying anything more because I don't want to argue with people.)

I personally dislike Blink-182 because the lead singer's voice annoys the shit out of me. I dislike most ska, because I don't like the horns, so, no, my one fellow remotely punk friend, Less Than Jake and Reel Big Fish are not going to be appreciated by me no matter how many times you play them.

Oh, and a song which I have nicknamed "that damn Shots song", which is played at every dancing-related event and which is offensive on every conceivable level. Stupid lyrics, awful "singing," terrible and no-effort synth and it encourages date rape! What's not to love?

ETA: Owl City. Because they completely rip off the Postal Service, and don't even have the grace to improve on it. I'm sorry, but the nuclear holocaust is a much better topic for insanely cute love songs than your insomnia, and also the Postal Service's lead singer wasn't Autotuned to hell.

-- Edited by ozymandias on Friday 11th of June 2010 03:56:39 PM

If the world is ending, we're throwing the party.

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Metallica
Slipknot
HIM

Yet very few people seem to agree with me on the first two.

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I deffo agree metallica are over rated, I can't stand them! This always shocks people too cos they assume that because, I like metal I must like metallica and iron maiden etc and I don't.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I agree Cheryl Cole is overrated. In my opinion, she's good in a band but I just don't think her voice has the strength to make her a great solo singer.

PandaPrincess~!

Facebook :)

Tumblr :)

Etsy :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The Saturdays. All their songs sound the same!

Facebook: Personal | Public

ModelMayhem

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^^^One of many seemingly identikit girl groups. What I hate is when they're referred to as "girl bands". No they're not.

Metalhead-wow,quite a list,and for those of them I've heard of,I agree with. About 99% of all bands from the 1960s I hate because they just seem to be automatically praised simply for being from the 1960s when their music is twee and simplistic and overplayed.

Also all rap,the genre with the silent "c". Hey,I can shout and grunt "uh" at random too,now can I be a rapper?

I do love Metallica,though. Those that don't...just need a little longer to appreciate their awesomeness. ;)

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Honoured Mook

Date:

^I don't like rap myself, but I am told it actually takes talent to rap well and that Eminem, for example, has a lot of skills. And, seriously, you guys don't like the Beatles? I mean, even if you don't like their songs, you have to admire the tremendous effect they had on rock music.

If the world is ending, we're throwing the party.

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Worst band ever in their gutless simpering played-to-death blandness,yet people seem to like them no matter what. Little better than background muzak for the masses,really.

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

«First  <  1 2 3 4 58  >  Last»  | Page of 8  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us