Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: If money and time wasn't a problem, where would you like to go?

Lush Guru

Date:
Where would you go?

Basically, being poor and studenty, I want to go on holiday this year with my friends but it has to be quite cheap.
We were looking at Prague, but I'd like any other destinations anyone might care to recommend. We did Amsterdam last year, and we don't really fancy 'lie about on beaches all week' holidays.

Cheers!

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Northern Spain, it's very different from the South, very beautiful and good for walking and sightseeing
UK, loads of fantastic places, you can make it as (in)expensive as you like.
Morocco, very, very, very cheap if you want...although you may be sharing your accom with cockcroaches (sp?)!
Iceland...amazing place!
Moscow

Lush Guru

Date:

I so want to go to Iceland, but it's very expensive there.
We want to get out of the Uk. Currently everyone's flung across Britain so we're all seeing a fair bit of it anyway.
Does anyone know anything about Krakow? That sounds like fun.

Or, you know, find me some cheap accommodation in Prague.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I'm with Molly on Northern Spain... walking in the Picos, rustic villages, beautiful (so long as someone speaks spanish).
I'd also go for some of the far flung reaches of the UK - cornwall, isle of wight, isle of mull, orkney... campsites and pub grub.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

ooooo, yes, Isle of Mull, one of my favorite places in the UK! Absolutely beautiful. Somewhat spoilt by that kiddies program Balamory, too many families with little horrors visiting now, but still well worth a visit, wonderful wildlife, beautiful scenery and if you get out of Tobermory, peace and quiet...:)

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

I know Krakow, I partially grew up there and spent this Christmas there. It's a great place! It used to be a lot cheaper (for clothes shopping, for instance) but you can still get cheap beer and food.

The town square is simply amazing - it has over 400 bars, pubs and clubs, and most of them are underground cellars. You just see an alleyway, walk into it and you're surrounded by about 10 cellar bars! And all of them look fantastic. I'm not joking. Massive Attack on the soundsystem, giant crystal trees made of glass to sit under, dark caverns with fake monks everywhere... seriously. You never know what you're going to find in a Krakow pub.

And, of course, there's the castle, and the trams, and 12th century churches and buildings everwhere, and pretty good museums... all in easy walking distance. And you should definitely check out the zoo in winter - it's more like animals hanging out in a forest.

I'd recommend it!

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

MookyDuchess

Date:

The Isle of Wright before it gets eaten by the channel.

Stay in Britain and don't fly. There' some beautiful places in this country and if you go at the right times, you get good weather too.

See my pictures at this site.

MookyDuchess

Date:

And staying in Britain also means you don't have to learn a new language, nor worry about exchange rates.

Lush Guru

Date:

Ahuh, but we're all pretty well travelled in the Uk, and want some new adventures.
I'm definitely going to pitch Krakow to them though, thanks!

Regular Crew

Date:

Well... I've just come back from Berlin and thought it was amazing! I went with my friend and neither of us had much money, but we got cheap flights and stayed in a hostel for a week, and had a great time! I stayed in the kreuzberg/friedrichshain area which is populated by students and starving artist types, shopping is expensive but food and drink is VERY VERY cheap! There's loads to see, loads of good hostels to stay in, trains every 5mins to anywhere (and no one checks your ticket, so we didn't spend a penny on trains all week) We bought the lonely planet guide for Berlin before we went and it was invaluable for finding out about amazing little bars and places to eat which we wouldn't of found otherwise! Almost everyone speaks good english, its very easy to get around, its full of sights to see and there are some incredible clubs there. I completely fell in love with it and will be going back in summer hopefully =)

Honoured Mook

Date:

Northern spain has Barcelona as well. Cheap Easyjet flights, loads of pensiones (B&Bs), a bit of a beach, a few clubs, a bit of art-stuff...

Honoured Mook

Date:
If money and time wasn't a problem, where would you like to go?

Everyone's got at least one place where they dream of visiting, whether it's skiing in the Alps or getting lost in New York. So, if money and time was no problem, where would you go and what would you do?

Personally? I'd go out to the Dia De Los Muertos festival in Mexico. It just seems like such an awesome idea, a massive party with your relatives and friends - even those who aren't here any more. Any excuse for sugary snacks and shots and I'm there!

If not Mexico, I've always been drawn to Japan. I'd just like to explore every inch of every temple, love hotel and shopping district going. I'd also love to visit the War Memorial in Hiroshima to add more origami cranes to their collection. My friend and I sent some out there with the students who went on an exchange there but I'd like to put some down in person.

That said, I've made it my one life objective to see as much of the planet as possible so really, I'm not too picky! biggrin

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute." ~ Rebecca West

MookyDuchess

Date:

Hmmm, I dunno.
There's places I'd like to visit again, like Galway and New York.
Then there's places I'd like to see, like Japan and Prague, but I'm not sue I'd enjoy it for some reason, it wouldn't be as good as I'd imagine it being and I wouldn't be able to speak with people and I'd miss my own bed.

So, hmmmm, currently, I'd like to spend a hour or so every Sunday morning on a beach. A quiet beach.

Regular Crew

Date:

I'd love to visit Ethiopia, as I plan to adopt a child from there one day :)

-- Edited by LulaTallulah at 09:34, 2008-08-19

Regular Crew

Date:

I have so many places I'd like to go. I think for our honeymoon we were maybe thinking about Iceland. Or go on an ice cruise. Just very far north so I can see the lights and icebergs. But that's not for about 3 or 4 years.
If it were tomorrow, even though I'd like to go to Japan and China and Germany and Tunisia, I'd probs just go back to Marocco. I like it there and those arabs are the funniest guys on earth! No joke my dad told one guy my sister was a doctor and they wanted to marry her! Ha it was so funny. I didn't get anything like that because I was with my partner and in their culture they're not allowed to look at another man's wife. My sister's boyfriend didn't come with us though so they ALL looked at her. Cos she's got really blonde hair as well and didn't cover her shoulders.
The shopping's really good over there too. I didn't really like all the fake stuff like Hugo Bus perfume and they're really pushy and try and make you buy things from them. But the scarves and jewelery and oranments are great so I was in me element!
Sitting on the roof at night with warm breeze, looking over at the souks and seeing all those lights on the stalls so bright they out shine the stars and the constant drone of the people, scooters and music. I think that was probs the happiest time ever. Even though I did get a jippy tummy! :D
xxx

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
RE: Where would you go?

If i had to go any were in the world it would really have to be japan.
I also kinda speak tiny japanese so i really hope to learn more so i can improve on it.
I just really want to go japan because i need something unusal and i think that's the place i might find it.

Short snippet of my song: Bees Knees

Your eyes they still wail out conflict
But you still think your the bees knees
You keep choking on your vulgar slurs
But in the end it's a comforting pity...
You still like to imagine that you are the bees knees.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
RE: If money and time wasn't a problem, where would you like to go?

i will go japan cause i think anything japanesse is kewl and i can speak a little japanesse to.

Short snippet of my song: Bees Knees

Your eyes they still wail out conflict
But you still think your the bees knees
You keep choking on your vulgar slurs
But in the end it's a comforting pity...
You still like to imagine that you are the bees knees.

International Mook of Mystery (mod)

Date:

Japan would be nice for a trip. It would at least make three semesters worth of language class useful. Let's see...pretty much all of eastern Europe, some of the western area.

I'm saving like crazy to try and spend part of my summer studying in Ireland near Dublin, so hopefully that pulls through and my uni's willing to give me at least a small scholarship to do so since I'm trying to go through their offices to make it happen.

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so effin' heroic."--George Carlin

Honoured Mook

Date:

Everywhere.
Cairo
Tokyo
Saigon
Italy
Belgiam
Paris
Greece
Madrid
South Africa
You name it, I am there.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I wont to go to london to see family and to see my heritage Iv been drown to go there from a very young age.
I want to see France all the yummy food and shopping.
And last but not least Burlin for the night life.

The universe is like one be old book. Full of chapters. Humans are but a "page"

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

Hi Page, where are you from? If you want check out a bit of English heritage London is a fun town but there are loads of other places you'd want to visit in England, too...

Yep, the Berlin night life is great :)

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I've been lucky enough to live in and see all of eastern europe, which is pretty amazing.
The freakiest places to go are Transnistria and Moldova hands down. You really feel like you're in the middle of nowhere.
Tonight I'm leaving for Croatia for the weekend :)

But I would love to see cities like New York, Sydney and Tokyo. Those are my dream places.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I pretty much have my heart set on going to Japan and Austria. I'd love to amble round Tokyo and Kyoto, all the temples and stuff. And Vienna because my family are from there. I'd fill my face with Sachertorte, pastrys and wash it all down with Almdudler.

I'd basically make meself as sick as a dog if I went to Vienna. XD

Honoured Mook

Date:

Haha, I just came back from Vienna tonight and ate Wienner-Schnitzel all day every day.
It does get a bit boring after a while though.

Honoured Mook

Date:

HarleyQuinn wrote:

and wash it all down with Almdudler.

I completely forgot about that stuff! I wish we could get it here.

Like so many people I want to go to many many many places....
top of list at the moment are; Nepal, Laos, Mongolia, Vietnam and back to China.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Dublin
Venice
New York again.
Finland
Japan (they have floating trains!)

Nahh, i tell you what i'd do.
buy a car for 1000 and do a top gear style journey ^_^

lock the cellar door, and baby... talk dirty to me.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I'd definetly go to Japan!!

Nippon Ichiban!!!!

Dame of Mooky

Date:

Venice.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Why not just everywhere?
Round the world trip!

MookyDuchess