Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Last film you watched, and review

Baby Mook

Date:
RE: Last film you watched, and review

This is going back in time a bit, but Pan's Labirynth was pretentious twaddle, I thought. As for Heavenly Creatures, it had a hypnotic quality - in so far as madness is hypnotic until it becomes tedious. But - call me weird - matricide is not my bag...weirdface

-- Edited by Baguita at 17:44, 2007-12-11

Baby Mook

Date:

The last movie I saw was Sweeney Todd. I really liked it, but I am a very big fan of musicals. It was like, the craziest, bloodiest musical I've ever seen. Plus, Johnny Depp is always good!wink.gif

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

ahhhh Johnny Depp....swoons!

Honoured Mook

Date:

The last cinema fillum I watched was St trinian's which was absolute rubbish but hugely enjoyable. Although the girl in it turned down Russell Brand, which you simply would not do. Silly person.

MookyDuchess

Date:

I'd turn down Russel Brand. You don't know where he's been. And, you do know where he's been.

And hands off Johnny, I saw him first...

See my pictures at this site.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I'm just watching "If" (1968 - with Malcolm McDowell). Excellent film...

And I loved "Heavenly Creatures".

-- Edited by Ladybird at 00:33, 2008-01-12

MookyDuchess

Date:

Heavenly Creatures is very good. Lovely film.

I watched the South Park movie yesterday, but that's ages old. I saw Transformers last week and thought it was ok.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I know this is going to sound a bit weird but I've gone off new films, because most of them seem to be just full of celebrity actors, whizzbang effects and end with cheap sentimentality. And when it's all over, you think 'yeah that was alright' but nothing has left a mark.

So the weird bit: it's Sunday morning and there's nothing on telly except Xtian stuff. I want to just loaf because I was out on the razz last night so, this morning, I want to settle down with the fire on and a cup of tea and some toast and watch a nice film. And the only film on telly was an old (1959) B cowboy with Randolph Scott, a real old-school cowboy actor. It was called "Ride Lonesome" and that's such a naff title, I thought it was going to be doo-doo.

But it wasn't: it was a thoughtful cowboy film that moved quite slowly between the odd action scene. All the characters were mixed: the goodies were flawed and the baddies had real human sides. It did the traditional cowboy thing of 'a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...' but it flexed so that you could see the characters changing slightly as the plot worked its way through and it ended in a nice ambiguously unsatisfactory way, like life often does.

So what am I saying? I think I'm saying if you like films, spend a bit of time catching older films too and don't dismiss them straight off because they're not instantly cool. Let yourself slip into their pace and style and don't judge them by the slight corniness or kitsch or because they're black and white.

I think, back then, Hollywood tried to give better value for money (script, acting etc) and didn't just rely on cheap pyrotechnics.

-- Edited by Ladybird at 14:47, 2008-01-20

Regular Crew

Date:

JOHNNY IS MINE. Always and forever, bitches.

It's funny- when you really, really want to see a movie, it doesn't happen. I was looking forward to Sweeney Todd so damn much, but was only able to see it last night. Finally.

I am never eating pie again. I am never getting my hair cut ever again. I have never been happier that I am a woman and do not need to shave anywhere near my throat.

Sweeney Todd is a dark, fierce, desperate film, exactly what I needed. The music is FANTASTIC (he sings! I was squeeing myself to death!), the acting is incredible, the costumes are far more than simply droolworthy (I swear, I'd kill to get Mrs. Lovett's dress from 'Not While I'm Around'), plus we get to see Johnny in a silly little stripey bathing suit and later absolutely drenched in blood. WHILE SINGING. It's perfect. And the essence of gothness, in my opinion- dark and bloody but with a whimsical side which is perfectly expressed in the songs. It's not too scary, but oh my god, blood much?!

I can't help but wonder what would have happened if Tim Burton had directed Pirates of the Caribbean. Something to dream about.

On a side note, as soon as I got home, I threw away all my silly little disposable razors and plan to buy a set of silver straight razors. Hehehe....

There's a hole in the world like a great black pit, and it's filled with people who are filled with shit, and the vermin of the world inhabit it...

Honoured Mook

Date:

I really want to see Sweeney Todd, but I'll have to pile on the war paint because it's an 18...

On the subject of that, kinda, did anyone else get told that story by their relatives, in my case my gran, when they were little, like 4? Cos she did, and it proper freaked me out! I was well scared when I went to London for the first time, cos I thought he'd come and get me!

Regular Crew

Date:

I grew up surrounded by theatre people, so I'm very familiar with the Broadway version, though I've never seen it performed live. It was hilarious seeing it with my frieds, who couldn't help but sing along with every single song.

There's a hole in the world like a great black pit, and it's filled with people who are filled with shit, and the vermin of the world inhabit it...

MookyDuchess

Date:

I've got the soundtrack cd. That's all at the moment, won't get to see it for another week or so yet.

Regular Crew

Date:

Party Monster starring Macaulay Culkin and Seth Green.

I thought this movie was fabulous and terribly entertaining. Its a true story about Michael Alig (Culkin) who is a famous 'Club Kid' who plans extravagent partys in 90's NYC. He brags about murdering his drug dealer on television and sends his herione addicted life out of control.

It's a gorgeous, fun, alternative film that is both amazingly creative and dramatic while still being fun. I find the outfits in the film very inspiration for my own style.

Oh, and Marilyn Manson plays a woman.

Honoured Mook

Date:

The Dark Knight.

It was amazing. This may sound a little sick, but I can completely understand why Heath Ledger was so haunted by his character.
The Joker...so amazing. So amazing. I can't even express how brilliantly psychotic he was.
The laughing in the videos was actually chilling.

And the makeup/cgi on the film is incredible. I mean, 2-face. So..confusing!

I would probably never watch this film again. Not because it's bad. Its brilliant. And I wouldn't want to ruin that by over-watching it.

lock the cellar door, and baby... talk dirty to me.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I went and saw 'Hellboy 2: The golden army' last week and it's awesome! So much better than the first. With this one you can sooo tell that Del Toro directed it- his use of colours is amazing and the monsters are brilliant! Can't wait to find out if they're making another one.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I miss Nuala so much. He just wanted to save his people. And he was an excellent fighter.

MookyDuchess

Date:

Shush, I haven't seen that film yet!!!

Did see the Duchess last weekend, that was good.

Dame of Mooky

Date:

I want to see Hell Boy 2 but should really see Hell Boy 1 first...

The Duchess was good; I thought that Ralph played the part of an egotistical, self-interested, difficult and condescending duke rather flawlessly...

MookyDuchess

Date:

Do you think there was much acting needed from Ralph?

You should watch Hellboy, it's quite a fun little film. Watch it as soon as you can. :)

Dame of Mooky

Date:

Well, there was acting needed to make the film in the first place :P

But no, he is generally sexy and I don't mind him being demanding but he was pretty horrible in the film, apart from the end of it when he looked at her the way he did as though he was sorry but it was a secret apology...

I might watch it this Friday if I have time actually.

MookyDuchess

Date:

It was a good film.

Seize the chance to watch Hellboy on Friday. Seize it with both hands!

Dame of Mooky

Date:

It's seized!!

MookyDuchess

Date:

Excellent, I know you'll like it. :)

Dame of Mooky

Date:

Lets hope so :)

MookyDuchess

Date:

It has kittens in it. Everyone likes kittens. And little baby demons.

MookyDuchess

Date:

Now I want to know if Maeve saw Hellboy and whether she liked it...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

In the cinema i saw the dark knight
im a bit too obsessed by the joker now. i really like him in a weird way.
it was excellent and some bits were funny which was surprising but i loved that...im buying it on dvd for sure.

i saw The factory girl on tv.
its about edie sedgewick and anywarhol
and im reeeeeaaaally tired and cant be bothered to do caps lock, let alone tell you how good this film was...

all i shall say is- what kind of silly woman turns down bob dylan?

good night

*head slams onto keyboard*

MookyDuchess

Date:

I watched Paris, Je T'aime yesterday and loved it. Eighteen short films about Paris and love, a smattering of famous people, and international selection of directors. the Coen Brothers' section was the funniest five minutes they've ever crafted. Loved it. They're making a sequel, New York, I Love You. Which I'm assuming will have a lot less French in it...

Also re-watched The Player, about a movie exec who kills a writer. I remember seeing it when it first came out and it's still as good now as it was then.

Baby Mook

Date:

I watched Titanic last night lol
Really cheesy but in was a sunday afternoon and in one of those moods

>_

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Chicago.
Basically, it's the period of time and place I wish I was born in, will killer songs, costumes and sets.
I LOVE THIS FILM.

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

«First  <  1 2 3 419  >  Last»  | Page of 19  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us