Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Last film you watched, and review

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
RE: Last film you watched, and review

The Official Story. I liked the idea of the plot and it was an interesting movie as whole, but there were some little plot intricacies that I just didn't get, and I can't find the answers on the internet because it doesn't seem to be a well known film. );

Tumblr

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

The Hobbit -an unexpected journey :')

I'm frankly baffled that this film have gotten bad reviews. I actually feel bad for those film journalists who complained that it "was too long", it seems to me that if you can't appreciate another extended trip to Middle Earth you seriously miss out on a lot of childish magic in your life.

If I buy lots of merch and shit, will they make a film out of every chapter of the Silmarillion? I can only hope.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Frankeneenie- cried at the end because I kept thinking how horrible it would be if it were my Mina!

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Anna Karenina, and I wasn't particularly impressed. My personal antipathy towarards Keira Knightley aside, I think she's one of the least suitable actresses they could have chosen for the role. I also disliked the theatre-y setting - too many films are trying too hard to be artistic these days. And I tried to imagine seeing the film from the perspective of someone who hasn't read the book, and it saddened me of how much they'd been deprived. 

Still haven't seen The Hobbit, though :(

Pony Frenzy

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Hurray Cave, glad to hear I'm not the only one who can't stand Keira Knightley. :D

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ Well, that makes three of us, because I also find her incredibly irritating.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ Cosigned. I cannot bear her at all. So irritating!

Mr Ruby and I were on a train that ended up delayed by two hours last night so we watched The Big Lebowski, which I love and he'd never seen before. He of course liked it because it is the daddy of the stoner movie genre. For those of you who haven't seen it, its really funny and really strange as well as infinitely quotable. And for those f you who didn't like it I'll just say this.

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

A Streetcar Named Desire. Marlon was a right little hottie in his youth, and I find the fact he's always talked like that kind of amusing :D

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Regular Crew

Date:

the vampire hunter. if you love vampire films then you'll love this. a real different take on the usual vampire story line.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

"Little Red" Ruby wrote:
Mr Ruby and I were on a train that ended up delayed by two hours last night so we watched The Big Lebowski... And for those f you who didn't like it I'll just say this.

^ word!

this is one of the worlds finest films,  the casting and acting are superb and you will never look at a persian rug the same way again.

highly recomended.

'there's always light at the end of the tunnel, just sometimes it's a train'

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Re-Animator is one of the best gore horror films EVER!

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Technically still watching it, but omg Liverpool is the dullest film ever. If I wanted to watch someone sitting alone in a room for a full five minutes doing nothing and looking miserable, I'd sit in front of a mirror.

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I saw Warm Bodies earlier, and while certainly rather teen-y and a bit predictable, it was mega fucking cute and really sweet and quite funny with lots of good one-liners in particular, and I actually really enjoyed it. Hardly movie of the year, but a good watch. And god help me but that zombie fucker is HOT.

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Kissed, a really weird but beautiful film about a girl who performs necrophilia on young men at the funeral parlour she works at...

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ That sounds really odd, will have check it out! (Incidently Rach, I often come this thread just to see what you've been watching, we have similar film tastes!)

Eccentric Blue Haired Ecdysiast & Self Professed Dildo Nerd

Answers to Daisy or Little Spoon :) x

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Ahhh, Daisy, that made me smile :D

Honoured Mook

Date:

Hua Mulan - I saw it on youtube, and it's really good (as long as you can deal with subtitles). It's obviously the same basic story as Mulan, as they're based off the same thing, but aside from that it's almost completely different. I really enjoyed it, though it is incredibly sad, especially at the end.. But yeah, I'd reccommend watching it.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I just went to see "Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters" and it was awesome! I was sold at the steampunk Taser lol. Here's the blurb from the Cineworld website and there are a couple of trailers on the net,but if you like the "Resident Evil" film series,the films "Van Helsing" and "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen",or just girls who can beat the crap out of you and know how to shoot multiple-warhead crossbows [see RE3],well,you'll like this!

The classic Grimms fairy tale gets an action-packed fantasy twist replete with weapons and lashings of gore! Ever since a witch attempted to take their lives as children, Hansel (Jeremy Renner) and Gretel (Gemma Arterton) have dedicated themselves to hunting the fiends down. The memory of what happened in that gingerbread house has never left them, and they've grown up to become proficient bounty hunters with an arsenal of high-tech weaponry. The brother and sister duo are a deadly force to be reckoned with - but now they face their greatest foe yet! Several children have disappeared from the German town of Augsburg. Hansel and Gretel are tasked with saving them and exterminating the threat - only to come up against deadly sorceress Muriel (Famke Janssen). Muriel is planning to sacrifice the children at a witches gathering in two days time, and brother and sister are thrown into a fight unlike anything they've ever known.

Also there is a Gatling gun,and I wasn't joking about the steampunk Taser. :) There's also a troll called Edward [lol] but no,he doesn't sparkle!

(One thing that was off was that although it was set in Germany,the two leads spoke with American accents. I can understand actors wanting to avoid the pitfall of doing an accent and failing badly,which is fine in the case of Jeremy Renner who plays Hansel,as he is American...but Gemma Arterton who plays Gretel is English!)

p.s. It's a 15 for violence and gore...and earns it! (which is good-I hate films that are watered down to get a 12 or a PG ; takes all the fun out of them!)

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Dad's making me watch Sphere- it's giving me strong Prometheus vibes, I can see they must have been inspired by Sphere, it cannot be a coincidence!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^At 2 1/4 hours you could read the book quicker. I used to have it somewhere but it's gotten lost ; from what I vaguely remember it was ok,but whether the film version is better or worse IDK as I haven't seen it. There are a lot of atmospheric alien encounter films,but I don't think "Prometheus" (which I also saw in the cinema and enjoyed) is in the same category as "Sphere" since it has a pre-existing context and a lot more [bloody] action. I'd say "Event Horizon" was a halfway house between the two,if you haven't seen that. (it pretty much borrows the "Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!" quote from BTTF,only replaces 'roads' with 'eyes'. It's a very dark film in places,sometimes literally,and earns its 18 rating)

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Honoured Mook

Date:

Watched 28 Days Later again the other day. I forgot how weird and psychodelic it was. That Danny Boyle, he has the abilty to both terrify and amaze me.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Caught Hellraiser again for the first time in years. It was a bit like watching Blue Velvet for the first time in 20 years: 'That's it?!?'

The basic premise is: a man and his second wife move back into his family home, which has sat abandoned for years, only to find out that his troublemaking brother, who 'is probably in jail', must have used the place to hide out and has left a horrific mess. The man's daughter, Kristy, is our protagonist, a nice modern girl who has never warmed to her step-mother. Through flashbacks, we discover the wife had a deeply kinky, possibly violent sexual romp with the brother the week they were married. The brother's involvement in the occult has created... certain complications.

The rest I will not spoil, because I think horror fans really should see it, even though it's not the best of the genre. This is a movie in serious need of a remake, especially in an age of Fifty Shades of Grey. So much is implied with innuendo that today's audiences need a program or a Cliff's Notes. There's a very iffy concept of sadomasochism at the heart of the horror, and it all falls flat like the science in a Doctor Who episode.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^FUCK THAT, no, they should never remake Hellraiser! They tried, but the uproar from fans and Clive Barker himself was too much for them!

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ But it's rife with problems and some questionable acting in parts. The canonized part is Pinhead, I imagine and the father... maybe Kristy, for those with rose-coloured glasses...

I'm not talking about a Rob Zombie 'ruin-what's-good-about-this' movie, I'm thinking of something that can give 'Jesus wept' at the end the gravitas it needs, without surrendering to the 'sweet virgin' protagonist concept of the eighties. Kristy is a young woman living her life, and I'd love it if she had more depth than the eighties could give her. The Cenobites are guides; she opened the box. I'd like to find out how and why that occurred.

Okay, okay: maybe not a remake. Maybe something akin to the graphic novels... a continuation, with a rotating cast of new characters and the same Cenobites.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I watched Mama before, the scariest film I have ever watched, fuck that, never again.

Forget the horror here.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^^ Ahhh, but it was the 80's, they're allowed to be cheesy ;) Plus it made Doug Bradley's career, and he's an absolute treasure, bless him!

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I watched the 1976 version of Carrie and LOVED IT! Sissy Spacek did an awesome job.
It was not scary,even it was sad to me.But that's not a disadvantage for a pussy like me.

doctor__i_puke_rainbowz_c__by_supremesonrio-d3fsuxe_zps4e836e85.gif

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The Life of Pi. It was very enjoyable and certainly pulled at my heartstrings. I would very much like to read the book :)

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Last film: Iron Man 3

Review: Meh.

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

Honoured Mook

Date:

Watched 'American Reunion' today for reasons I cannot say. Cringingly bad in most places. But I was really satisifed with the way they have handled Vicky and Kevin all through the series. They never try to give them a 'happy together' ending. It's always 'happy apart with lovely feelings for each other', and I think I respect that.

«First  <  115 16 17 18 19  >  Last»  | Page of 19  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us