Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Last film you watched, and review

Honoured Mook

Date:
Last film you watched, and review

Totally ripping off from another forum I frequent, this thread is, again, pretty self-explanatory.

The last film I watched was "Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain" (2001, France).

It was all in French, and there were quite a few idioms that I didn't really get, but I really, really enjoyed the film. The story set itself up amazingly, and, at one point, I found myself really worrying for the main character, Amélie.

The film also has me looking at life in a different way, more like Amélie does. Sometimes, though, the details of certain moments do get a little drawn out.

I'd recommend this film to anyone who might appreciate a thinking person's film, it's brilliant. While a little of the jokes are lost through the translation, the film's still great with English subtitles.

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

Hooray for ripping off other forums! I love a good chain thread.

The last film I saw was a double-bill: 'Slither' followed by 'Haute Tension' (called High Tension or Switchblade Romance in non-french countries).

They're both horror films. If anyone loved 'Tremors' with Kevin Bacon being the hotness, they'll love Slither too. It's a well-made, pithy, witty b-movie with good dialogue and strong characters, and I absolutely recommend it for anyone who likes horror.

Haute Tension is also a fantastic horror film though in a different vein. It's a french film about two lesbians going to stay in the french countryside with the parents of one of the girlfriends. You don't often get lesbians as main characters in a film; trust the French to go that extra mile. As the name of the film suggests, after a slow but amusing start, the tension doesn't let up for the rest of the film. You will wee your pants. It is also excellently shot and has some intelligently sick gore that will make you squeal with delight. Yay.

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

MookyDuchess

Date:

Wasn't that impressed by Switchblade romance, but I think at the time I was more in the mood for a nice coming of age love story. Weird...

Anyway, just watched The Departed, which is very good indeed. I'm always surprised to see that Leanardo DiCaprio can actually act. Though Matt Damon does another good impression of a chair. It's very bleak though, like Hamlet.

See my pictures at this site.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I watched "Cube" last night.

It wasn't my decision- horror films, suspense and so on don't really appeal to me, but I enjoyed this one, as I found my feelings towards each of the characters changing. As it went on, I found myself hating one character, and liking another, then that'd change, and I'd begin to hate another character, like the one I hated.

Which made me think about what made me hate those characters, and I learnt more about myself.

Can't say I'd recommend it, though- if not for my journey of self-discovery, I don't think I'd've enjoyed the film. The storyline was terribly, terribly weak, and could've gone a hell of a lot deeper without compromising anything. At only 81 minutes long as it is, it's not like it'd have made the film too long.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Children of Men. not a bad movie neccessarily, not a bad message either, but I did so hate that ending.

I am seriously beginning to doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion

Lush Guru

Date:

Monster.

Seriously, this film is surprisingly moving considering it's about a serial killer. Charlize/Charleze/Whatever Theron plays Wournos brilliantly, and Christina Ricci, though she looks a motherstonking MESS, is actually fabulous as Selby.

I have researched the Wournos story (God Bless Psychology classes) and I think it's all pretty much included so none of the detail has been lost, which is good for a film cos they usually cut loads of shit out.

Date:

Pan's Labyrinth. It blew me away. Only film I could begin to compare it to is Heavenly Creatures. A strange fantasy set in Franco's regime... go see.

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Borat.

This was a spontaneous movie viewing.

I was actually more happy at the fact that there was an Aston Martin Vantage sat in the foyer of Ocean Terminal and several very fit men surrounding the thing; all wearing suits, in aide of the new Bond movie being previewd that night. *dribble*

Borat. Funny in bits. Incredibly wrong in many of the others.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

MookyDuchess

Date:

Borat was good, but it was all done in the editing. How many Americans did they have to cut out who reacted positively and humanely towards him?

Pan's Labyrinth is amazingly good. Exactly what I was expecting and at the same time, totally different. Quite gruesome in places too.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I went to see the Tenacious D film on Thursday, it is very very funny!

Check out my show:

http://www.mixcloud.com/PigtailsAndArmyBoots

and my blog

http://djmoonlightmusic.blogspot.com

Honoured Mook

Date:

Went to see Tenacious D on Sunday, and El Laberinto del Fauno (Pan's Labyrinth) last night.

Both very different films. Tenacious D was simple, funny, silly, and made me laugh an awful lot.

Pan's Labyrinth- wow, it was wonderful. The twists and turns, the way I felt so confused- was the faun good or bad? Is it all Ofelia's dream, or does it actually happen?

I adored it. I am getting it on DVD at its launch, without any doubt.

Regular Crew

Date:

Marie-Antoinette by Sofia Coppola and I loved it.

Date:

I haven't seen Marie Antionette yet but am looking forward to it.

Oh yes... does chocolate count as a drug if you're keeping it clean? Can you watch a film eating a box of chocolates?

I saw Kiki's Delivery Service for the first time yesterday. A beautiful Japanase manga created by the guy who did Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke... all wonderful films that make you feel bright and shiny-eyed. I like how he does films for kids that show the world to be a complicated place but have very strong positive messages. And the art is fantastic.

Regular Crew

Date:

I really fancy seeing Pan's Labyrinth and Marie Antionette - hopefully I'll get round to them.

I saw Switchblade Romance recently and thought it was really good. Monster is fab too.

I keep telling everyone about Braindead which I saw a week or two ago and is honestly the goriest think I've ever seen - but somehow is an awesomely good way. It's not even scary at all - just Gory as a mofo with unstoppable zombiesand eighties style special effects galore! I particularly loved when the hero guy has hacked up a zombie and is trying to escape from the house while the zombified guts are still coming and trying to strangle him! How things have moved on for Peter Jackson!

I watched Secrets and Lies the other night for the first time too. It's been one of those films you mean to see for ages but never get round to. It was really good - as good as I expected/ hoped anyway. I love how different UK films can be from American ones.

I have much love for Film Four.

MookyDuchess

Date:

I loved Marie Antoinette, which is odd as the people I saw it with thought it was dull. kids today, huh. Though i did start thinking that that's the exact lifestyle I'd have if I won the lottery.
I still didn't like Switchblade Romance, no matter how many people say they did.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Watched Switchblade Romance t'other neet.

Slightly confused. Left me wondering how you could decapitate somebody with a sideboard. Want to see if it works sometime.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I saw 'Pan's Labyrinth' yesterday. It's a funny film. It's so potentially superb and it's hard to figure out what exactly is wrong with it: maybe Guillermo del Toro (who wrote, produced and directed the film) should have used a collaborator somewhere and that might have just ironed out the odd little things that seem to spoil it. Magickally, it doesn't satisfy like (say) "Company of Wolves" does.
I'll tell you the one thing that really annnoyed me. The young heroine has one of those modern impossible cupid's bow upper lips (maybe surgically enhanced) and there's one scene where she goes into a really grim underworld and she is warned not to eat or drink anything but she eats two grapes and the scene lingers on her pre-pubescent perfect lips in a way that is so tackily Hollywood that a lot of my goodwill slipped away there.
But go and watch it....

MookyDuchess

Date:

There is an argument that fairy tales can be read as a warning to pre-pubescents and such about the dangers of sex or whatever, which I could go into more, but it'll have to be later (and possibly on a different thread) when my headache is gone.
With this nascent thought in mind, it could be argued that Del Torro's lingering shot was playing on this in someway.

Regular Crew

Date:

in term's of film's that deconstruct fairy tales 'company of wolves' directed by neil jordan based on angela carter's short storie's-

last film [or dvd i watched was 'kill bill 2' which if you like martial arts films you ll love as its littered with visual references to realy obscure japenese films like 'lady snowblood','broken oath'
so there's balletic gung-fu and visual meta-texturality.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Went to see Hot Fuzz at the weekend- it was alright, but not as funny as I'd expected it to be. I'm thinking, though, that it'll be one of those films where some of the jokes don't really work the first time you see it, and you need to see it several times to 'get' it.

MookyDuchess

Date:

I'll wait for the dvd of Hot Fuzz. Not because I'm not expecting much, but because I just don't do the cinema much nowadays. :(

And I think that expectations on Hot Fuzz are quite high, what with Spaced and Shaun of the Dead, so it's not going to be as good as you expect. Maybe. Perhaps.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I saw Epic Movie the other week, 3 words- not very good!

Check out my show:

and my blog

Regular Crew

Date:

The last movie that I checked out at the cinema was Smokin' Aces, which I enjoyed immensly and would recommend for anyone who loves action and is not afraid of a little violence.

http://www.smokinaces.net/

http://www.smokinacesmovie.net/site/flashSite.html

All I can tell you folks is it is action all the way, with Ryan Reynolds and Ray Liotta paired up as FBI agents. Strangely this weird mix works. Alicia Keyes makes her acting debut as an assasin, and she looks smoking hot too! Hip Hop artist Common also makes an appearance and Ace's trusted right hand man. All in all there are 7 assasins (the man without a face, the three redneck brothers, a prison escapee who loves to torture people and one who bit off his own fingertips before he could be printed, and 2 ghetto fabulous lovelies) 3 Bounty Hunters and Feds. All after one man, there is also a mob involvement and a twist at the end of the movie that I for one did not suspect. I strongly urge you to check it out.

Honoured Mook

Date:

i watched calfornia man again last night...funny film :)

Check out my show:

and my blog

Honoured Mook

Date:

I went and saw the illusionist last night, was very good and has a great twist :)

Check out my show:

and my blog

MookyDuchess

Date:

I watched Capote this morning. Wasn't bad.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Live Free and Die Hard...I expected the villian to be a little more original. Steal all of America's money via computer? Been there! Done that! Pretty much! When are hackers not getting money via computer for some misundertsood kid gone megalow maniac?! Sure the take down of an entire country was innovative but you could have at least had bigger plans than that if you initiate a Firesale! Oh! I'm ranting again! Well, I just wish movies were a little more creative.

Honoured Mook

Date:

But it was a good action movie.

MookyDuchess

Date:

I watched the Breakfast Club again the other day. Lovely film.

Honoured Mook

Date:

john tucker must die. I was running a fever of 102, though, so i kept drifting in and out of sleep. But it's a super funny movie, i've seen it many times before.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us