Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Unpopular opinions thread

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:
Unpopular opinions thread

This lovely thread was first created by Sassafras, who said:

I thought it might be an interesting experiment to see what opinions mooks hold that perhaps err on the side of unusual! So it doesn't all end in tears:

THE RULES

• No opinions that personally target anybody, or shame an individual or group due to their sexuality, gender, race, religion, beliefs, size, ability or anything else which would make you an asshat. This is not the place for that.
  • No hounding anyone for opinions on here you don't hold. Polite questioning and discussion is welcome! Having a go because someone likes mustard on ice cream is not!

I have deleted the old ginormous post, because who knows what (deservedly) unpopular opinions lurked in its bowels!

But I do have an unpopular opinion I need to throw out there.

I AM SCARED OF COASTERS.

When I see coasters in a house I can't relax, because I'm vaguely worried that I might actually damage my friend's house. And I wonder about how so many people use coasters without a second thought, and don't see them as a threat to relaxation at all. I grew up in a house with no inside toilet, never mind coasters, so they are alien to me. But perhaps those who grew up in a house with coasters might simply pick up the practice without thinking about it. Or they might be able to create a lovely relaxed home even with the dreaded coasters present, and make the coasters part of the nice atmosphere.

I shared this opinion on social media and went viral (by which I mean about 7 retweets), with feedback ranging from "yay, agree" to one notable person who retweeted and said "this is why I don't invite people to my home".

Your thoughts?

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Huh, I really just don't see coasters that way. We have three tables in our living room, one has a leather top with no glass (so putting a hot mug on it would burn rings in it), one which has lots of important and special things in it under glass, and one sturdy, wipe clean one. I would think nothing of asking guests to use coasters on the first two because people sometimes spill stuff.

A little bit of settling in relationships is okay. Or rather, I think there is a difference between holding your partner to unrealistic standards and searching for someone compatible with you. Jack and I have a single friend. He's 30, not bad looking, a doctor, funny, sensitive, and really really desperate to find a partner and have some kids. Great, should be easy for him to find someone, right? WRONG. Because every single woman he meets up with doesn't make it to the second date because they aren't his absolutely perfect ideal woman who he can see marrying and having kids with. What happened on that date with the gorgeously beautiful French architect? Too creative. It drives me absolutely mad that he's not willing to compromise even the slightest bit when I am 99.9% sure that the woman he is looking for doesn't exist.

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

I think your approach to coasters is quite natural and understandable, my bugbear is indeed ridiculous! I wish I could get over it because I actually have some very nice slate coasters, but I suspect they'll remain in the drawer for some time to come.

That thing with your friend sounds so frustrating. I've never heard "too creative" as a potential issue before. I wonder if he may have to work on his concept of what a relationship is and the way it changes over time before he lets himself find a partner.

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Me either, Magda! The thing is, often all the reasons are this vague. Went on a date with a pretty and very fun Dutch girl, they got on great, but he just said "idk, can't explain it, she's not my wife". I mean, when I first met Jack, I didn't know that was my husband, and now here I am happily married (which always seems to be a phrase that doesn't encapsulate my intense and all-encompassing feeling of belonging with the best person ever but there you go). I have a few other friends who are also picky, but he's incredibly bad. I think so many people don't understand that nobody is perfect, and often differences are worked through and change over time. You can be compatible without someone literally being your other half.

too stupid for the bar

and

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I have a bunch of nice coasters but I feel like only people with their lives together use coasters. I don't even know where mine are. I think I'm sort of leaning towards your opinion, magda!

Charlie - too creative?? Wow. I think a lot of people are too idealistic. Nobody is going to be 100% perfect for you. You have to settle and like, accept the not-so-perfect parts and decide whether the other person is a good enough match for you to round them up to a "perfect" match.

On a similar note, I think people look for/enter relationships expecting them to be for life & if there's any hint things might not pan out that way, the whole thing is scrapped. I'm not really sure how to explain myself here but I think people are a lil afraid of uncertainty buuut also I think there IS some value in more short term relationships. It's okay to enjoy something that makes you happy for a while even if it might not lead to a life long commitment, as long as everyone is on the same page.

Harlan :-)

("they" pronouns please, mookyfolk)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Charlie - please ask him if any of them "smelled like soup" a la So I Married An Axe Murderer

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Hahaha Spikey I really wouldn't be surprised if he said that! Also I agree with you, Harlan. You can learn a lot from being in a relationship with someone and just because you weren't together until one of you dies doesn't make that relationship worthless.

too stupid for the bar

and

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us