Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Tarot Deck Preferences?

Honoured Mook

Date:
Tarot Deck Preferences?

Do you have a favorite tarot card deck? Do you prefer oracle cards? Or are you most comfortable with the traditional Rider-Waite?

Any particular reason why you favor one deck over another?

Honoured Mook

Date:

My personal preference is for a deck I have called 'Tarot of the Magical Forest.'

The not-so-magical origin story is that, one day, I had the weirdest feeling I should go to the bookstore. I spent ten minutes wandering around, surprised with myself, because I really didn't need to buy any more books. I was stocked up on reading. So what the hell was I doing here?

Then I saw these big-eyed animals staring at me. I did not plan on buying a tarot card deck that day. I inherited a vintage Rider-Waite deck that I felt comfortable using and I really did not want to spend the money. I left the store and ended up coming back to purchase them the same day because I couldn't get them out of my mind.

d3by36x8sj6cra.cloudfront.net/assets/images/book/large/9780/7387/9780738714127.jpg

They've been my favorite cards since then. I find them remarkably easy to use. There's something about these wide-eyed animals that really spoke to me and I find the symbols in them are much easier for me to pick out.

How about you? Do you have a prefence?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I have a really beautiful set called the Mystic Dreamer tarot or something like that, but I actually really hate using them because I find it difficult. I much prefer the traditional-looking packs, my favourite being the Sharman-Caselli.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Ooh, I have four decks of tarot cards. I've been planning to get some oracle cards but I've not found any that I'm comfortable with so far.

I've never owned a Rider-Waite-Smith deck. My first deck was the Druid Craft Tarot, which I find very difficult to use, practically, because the cards are enormous. Otherwise, the illustrations are beautiful and it's rich in symbolism. Sometimes I find it a little hard to grasp, but other times I just get it, you know.

My favourite deck is a close call between Tarot of the Cat People and Tarot of the Pagan Cats. I bought them at the same time from the same person, and I really, really like both of them, but I think Pagan Cats just about steals it for me. I find them both very easy to use, there's a lot less frustration on both parts.

The other deck I have is Tarot Mucha, which I bought for the artwork but I've never really connected with.

And, finally, a deck I want is the Mystical Cats Tarot. Yes. I know.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us