Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Mixing purple with brown hair--Advice?

Honoured Mook

Date:
Mixing purple with brown hair--Advice?

I'm creating yet another hair dye thread because I couldn't quite find the answers I was looking for.

So, I would like to dye part of my hair purple. I avoided doing ti for years because I've been on a job hunt but I am finally accepting that i'm not going to be hired over the winter so I might as well go ahead, get it out of my system, and enjoy it.

The problem is this: I don't want to bleach my hair or dye my hair darker to make the purple look better. I am a brunette (that's me on the left). 

Does anyone have suggestions for how I could have some purple hair, but not dye the entire thing? Or what shades of purple might look best with brown?

I was thinking of doing just the underside so it would show when my hair was left down, but not when it's pulled up. But I'm not certain. Any suggestions?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I feel a semi permanent dye like directions might work if the purple was quite dark and strong and it'd wash out. I've got a green and blue mix over natural hair with bleached dyed grey ends at the moment and it's still noticable even though my hair is very dark brown.

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Honoured Mook

Date:

Oh! That's wonderful! I appreciate the suggestion. I'm definitely going to add that dye to my list and see what colors they have!

Do you mind if I ask: do you know how long it has before it washes out?

I tend to sweat a lot so I shower pretty much every day just to conform to society's "do not smell like you wrestled pigs in a pit of onion" standards, so I'm excited about the prospect of something I wouldn't need to dye over, but worried that I would loose it after a week.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Also adore are a good brand for brights i've found, i've heard good things about arctic fox too and manic panic.

I find it washes out pretty quick sadly, i don't wash my hair particularly often, maybe every other day at most usually less as it's very dry and i just shower with a shower cap but i find i need to redo it about every other week. I've not tried purple over natural hair though so it could be different i find it can vary massively colour to colour.

Washing with cold water and just using conditioner without shampoo unless it really needs a clean can help keep the colour though
-- Edited by Nature_Boy on Tuesday 15th of November 2016 08:41:25 AM

-- Edited by Nature_Boy on Tuesday 15th of November 2016 08:42:27 AM

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've never dyed my hair and know absolutely nothing about dye, but Facebook just showed me an advert for Schwarzkopf dyes designed to go over dark hair, (the link took me to this page) and I thought of this thread. So hopefully that's at least a tiny bit useful?

Cut Out And Keep

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

My experience as a brunette is that unless the hair is bleached beforehand (either by yourself, a hairdresser or by the permanent dye you've bought) the colour is invisible after one or two washes. There are of course a lot of other variables too, like water temperature, acidity, type of hair et. cetera. My best advice is to replace shampoo with Apple cider vinegar. Good for your hair, good for the environment and most likely you'll smell better too

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Honoured Mook

Date:

Thank you so much everyone!

I'm thinking I might end up lightening my hair a little bit first after all. I was always under the impression that if hair was bleached it would become so damaged that I'd have no choice to cut it. I'm definitely going to use apple cider vinegar--I use it to clean sometimes and it works wonders so I can keep that in the bathroom with me.

I'm booking an appointment at the beauty school for after my first round of tests in December so my fingers are crossed. Thank you again so much everyone.

i'm still really worried about shades but we'll see how it goes. I 'll post pictures if it comes out okay. I might pop back in with more questions, i'm very nervous!

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us