Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Girl Scouts...but for adults?

Honoured Mook

Date:
Girl Scouts...but for adults?

Over the last few months, I've had an idea half-brewing in the back of my mind. Part of this was because I was looking at signing up my dog as part of the Dog Scouts.

The other part was when, despite a variety of lazy searches of "programs like girl scouts...but for adults" "scout programs for adults" "adult scout programs/groups/organizations" and "programs for adults that are like girl scouts" I only ever got "DO YOU MEAN: CAN ADULTS VOLUNTEER FOR GIRLSCOUTS?"

Does anyone know of any programs that are like girl scouts, but for adults?

If not--what are your thoughts on slowly going about getting one started?

Despite belonging to a girl scouts troop that was involved in a bit of a scandal and some negative experiences, I realized I was influenced pretty positively by my experience.

This is a too-long specific example about a positive experience.

Spoiler

I think, if I was going to make some kind of informal organization, I would want it to have two goals:

--to challenge women of all ages to continue to grow professionally, academically, emotionally, and some other important point, throughout the whole life. Learning doesn't stop once you turn 18.

--to foster connectivity and support between women.

This last one is important to me because, in my experience, it seems that competition between women is being pushed heavily in what's expected of me in corporate environments. Be the best you can be....at the expense of the people around you. There's no reason I can't grow with the people around me. I am thinking it would be a nice opportunity to have older women pass on experience to younger women, too. There's plenty of things that I know how to do that I could help a younger woman in her late teens do (college applications, basic first resume, how to open your first bank account) while adultier-adults have knowledge like (how to repair shit in your house, places in the community to volunteer that support women,) and stuff like that.

Oh and i mean, who doesn't want to collect cool badges and stuff?

It's nearly 2am and i'm rambling but I sort of really like this idea and want to either find a group or start one. What are your thoughts?

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I would love something like this, in the UK I think the closest thing like this would be the W.I but the only one I can find in my city is miles away

so what if i love each feather an each spangle, why not try an see things from a different angle?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ in the UK you can be a Ranger/Senior Section until you're 25 and join the Trefoil Guild from when you're eighteen until you're too old to want to go on mountain climbing pub crawls. I don't know where you are, Lokrais, but WAGGGS (the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts) is a global organisation and most countries have equivalent sections of what we have in the UK.

The Rangers/Senior Section (14-25) does a lot of the things you're talking about. Groups are organised by volunteers like our Rainbow (5-70), Brownie (7-11) and Guide (11-14) and they are all girl led: meaning the Leader will ask the young members what THEY want to do over a term and help them organise the events. For example, one term a lot of our members were sixteen and going to college or university the next academic year and so they wanted to practice planning journeys themselves, budgeting for things, cooking... And sometimes it was just 'everyone has exams that week, can we just make face masks and eat popcorn and talk about our problems?' and that was okay too.

I really recommend that you look up what Girl Scouts might still have to offer you. I had a quick look for a Trefoil Guild equivalent in America because the names are often strangely different in different countries and I found a mention of something in Atlanta so you should have a look. Here our Trefoil Guild is for members who don't want to be (or don't JUST want to be) volunteers for younger members. I'm not exactly sure what they do because I'm not a member but it's much like the Rangers except there is no 'leader' and they discuss things they want to achieve (like, 'let's all get high ropes qualifications, then learn to sail a boat and go to London for a weekend then) and organize it together.

As for starting an organisation yourself, it would probably be really difficult but if you could pull it off and wanted to make it global, I'd totally start a UK version with you :P

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

I would love something like this and I would definitely like badges too. So you could get the Kitchen Witch badge for e.g. sharing a kombucha you grew yourself with three other people. I think there are meant to be apps that gamify your life to unlock achievements - this sounds like that, but real people connecting and mentoring and learning?

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

oh this sounds awesome! I wasn't part of any scouting group as a kid, but I think, with the right people, it could be a really great experience.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I'm pretty much the worst person with responding to posts but AHH I AM STILL SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS!

I'm in midatlantic region of the USA (so east coast but with no ocean access.)

@Angels+eyeliner I'm making a note to check out the USA equivalent of this! Thank you so much for your suggestion! I was in girlscouts when I was younger, but my coursery searches for non-volunteer-activities for adults in the GS organization just kept sending me back to how i should bring my daughter to girlscouts ;_; However you're definitely right with the naming differences for international organizations so that might have been a hinderance as to why I couldn't find anything! I'm going to keep digging into this tomorrow morning!

I'm actually a sucker for an app that turns my life into a game. I've been using one consistently for a while (called Habitica--if you get the chance, you should check it out, especially if you like pets. it's premise is that it turns your life into an RPG game). I really do want to connect with more people, though, especially within the community. I'm always shocked when I meet people and find out they live relatively close to me, have so much to teach and give....but we would never run into each other for any other reason.

My heart is really set on finding something like this. I'm really excited and I'm going to keep looking and drafting up ideas to start one if I can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us